CV-able effect sends for SSL mixer (or a sends module, like the EQ and comp devices)?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
DJMaytag

30 May 2022

One thing I’ve been interested in in recent years is the ability to use CV to dynamically control effect sends, rather than having to automate my sends. I had an interest in CV control over the SSL EQ as well, but the new built in standalone EQ suffices quite well, with its back panel CV inputs.

Anyway… it had occurred to me that maybe a built in device similar to the standalone SSL mixer modules could work to achieve this, with some sort of automatic/default routing to the main SSL sends (no patching required, unless you patch to override the module’s sends).

The harder method (I think) would be adding the SSL mix strip parameters to the Mix/Audio Channel programmer, so as to allow its CV inputs to be routed to destinations on the main SSL mixer.

DJMaytag

23 Feb 2023

Still interested in this. It would really be handy to send a LFO to a mixer channel send knob.

selig
RE Developer

23 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Feb 2023
Still interested in this. It would really be handy to send a LFO to a mixer channel send knob.
It's not exactly the same thing since it would affect ALL channels using the send, but you could easily use something like the Line Mixer or Selig Gain patched in front of the effect to achieve the same effect.
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

23 Feb 2023

Why would it have to affect all channels? You can automate a single mixer send, so why couldn’t you target a single mixer send with CV?

selig
RE Developer

24 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Feb 2023
Why would it have to affect all channels? You can automate a single mixer send, so why couldn’t you target a single mixer send with CV?
Not sure I understand - you’re making a feature suggestion for something that’s not currently possible to do, and I suggested a workaround to do it within the current limitations (because this feature may or may not be added in the future). I may have mistakenly assumed you wanted CV jacks added to the Mix Channels for Sends, same as there are Level and Pan CV jacks currently.

To answer your first question, because with my suggestion that is the limitation.
To answer your second question, because there’s no CV input for sends (which is why you’re making the suggestion correct?).
Normally if you wanted to ‘automate’ a control via CV you’d put the device in a Combinator and use CV to ‘automate’ the knob in question - however you cannot put a mix channel in a Combinator so that option is off the table In this specific case.

IF this feature was added via CV jacks for Sends, you could discard everything I’ve said. My comments only apply to the current situation and my suggested workaround with Reason 12. My comments would also apply to any additional device because there is no way to access the send but except with the 8 sends on Mix/Audio channels. The only access points for sends are the output of the bus, which affects all channels feeding that particular send.

Maybe I don’t understand your other suggestions, as there is no Mix/Audio Channel “programmer”. Adding CV jacks for Send Levels would be the simplest solution to allow what you’re asking for IMO. Hopefully I’m not totally misunderstanding your suggestion…apologies if so!
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

24 Feb 2023

I just want the mix channel/audio channel/group channel to have a programmer, like the Combinator and VST panels do, where there’s assignable CV inputs on the back.

As part of the programmer, I’d like to see the destinations include the EQ controls, compressor/gate controls, sends, etc.

In the hardware world, this isn’t an outrageous thing, as I have these real world inputs on my mixer channels (a single strip shown below):
3DB4A315-C850-4398-B456-BCF9DBAE9DD3.jpeg
3DB4A315-C850-4398-B456-BCF9DBAE9DD3.jpeg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
The red CV input is for level control, yellow & green are for send 1 & 2, and pink is for pan control. I have 6 of these in my Eurorack setup, which feeds a group channel and then feeds the master output module.

I just want to be able to use a CV to control the level of a single send on a single channel.

DJMaytag

24 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
24 Feb 2023
I may have mistakenly assumed you wanted CV jacks added to the Mix Channels for Sends, same as there are Level and Pan CV jacks currently.
To be clear, I would like the mix channel/audio channel/group channel to have general CV inputs that could be assigned to control SSL mixer controls, not to the 14:2 or 6:2 mixer devices.

dioxide

24 Feb 2023

I agree with this request. Having CV control of the Aux Sends would be very useful.

selig
RE Developer

24 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
24 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
24 Feb 2023
I may have mistakenly assumed you wanted CV jacks added to the Mix Channels for Sends, same as there are Level and Pan CV jacks currently.
To be clear, I would like the mix channel/audio channel/group channel to have general CV inputs that could be assigned to control SSL mixer controls, not to the 14:2 or 6:2 mixer devices.
That's an idea I can get behind. I'd love to see something similar to many Reason synths like with Thor/Europa/Mimic/Grain/Algoritm: four CV input jacks that can be assigned to any channel destination.
Simple popup menus (like Combinator 2) would be ideal to select the destination. All in line with the "Reason Way"! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

24 Feb 2023

RS implemented an idea I suggested a while ago, adding more VST audio I/O’s (I have one where I really needed to use all 10 of its inputs). I was hoping they expand from 8 to 16, so I was absolutely flabbergasted to see they bumped it up to 64!

Similarly, I’d be happy with 4 CV inputs on the mix/audio/group channels, but 8 or more would be nice.

Art.Allisone

08 May 2023

Would be a great addition for more automation w/o having to record or draw it...

mimidancer

08 May 2023

All reason devices including the SSL mixer should have cv in and out.

• Information