MIDI feature suggestions

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
hotmitts

04 May 2022

What would people like to see added to the MIDI functions? I 'd like to see an option in the toolbox for humanise MDI - adding variations in micro-timing.
Also something like the ableton 'extract groove' from audio so you can apply it to MIDI would be interesting.

These may seem like minor request but to me the ability to create MIDI that isn't machine gun and has a groove is really essential.

jam-s

04 May 2022

Extract groove is already there, but the workflow is different than as you have to rex/slice the clip and then use the Regrove mixer iirc.

Quietly

08 May 2022

Certainly like to see humanise as a midi option. Also like to see midi out as I cannot see why it was introduced to the rack and not to the DAW.

nscerri

27 May 2022

Chord recognition like the one implemented in the A-List Guitarist

huggermugger

27 May 2022

There is the Random setting in the F8 quantize dialog. Unfortunately, you can't deactivate quantize in order to use Random, but you can minimize the quantize amount.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.00.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.00.05 AM.png (202.92 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

huggermugger

27 May 2022

Quietly wrote:
08 May 2022
Certainly like to see humanise as a midi option. Also like to see midi out as I cannot see why it was introduced to the rack and not to the DAW.
There's a MIDI Out device in the DAW. Always has been, although it was revamped for R11.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.04.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.04.44 AM.png (129.36 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2022

As far as I’m aware, most if not all DAWs with “humanize” functions are simply randomizing the data. And while it may not seem like it, humans are far from ‘random’!
With advances in AI, there will certainly be better and better humanize functions based on real humans (the ones who can play well, I would assume, not just any humans!). So you would, for example, apply the “John Bonham” filter to your drums to actually ‘humanize’ them. Until then, it’s just random…
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

27 May 2022

selig wrote:
27 May 2022
As far as I’m aware, most if not all DAWs with “humanize” functions are simply randomizing the data. And while it may not seem like it, humans are far from ‘random’!
With advances in AI, there will certainly be better and better humanize functions based on real humans (the ones who can play well, I would assume, not just any humans!). So you would, for example, apply the “John Bonham” filter to your drums to actually ‘humanize’ them. Until then, it’s just random…
In my opinion, if you want a human feel in the sequencer turn off the quantizer.

demt

27 May 2022

The ability to synch to more than 1 controller being obvious in preferences
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2022

huggermugger wrote:
27 May 2022
There is the Random setting in the F8 quantize dialog. Unfortunately, you can't deactivate quantize in order to use Random, but you can minimize the quantize amount.
I would think the reason to randomize things would be because it sounded boring when quantized. Random playing wouldn’t benefit from further randomization, or am I missing something?
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

28 May 2022

selig wrote:
27 May 2022
huggermugger wrote:
27 May 2022
I would think the reason to randomize things would be because it sounded boring when quantized. Random playing wouldn’t benefit from further randomization, or am I missing something?
I think my point was just that you can't simply randomize microtimings unless you also apply quantization. This would be an issue in situations such as, for example, an already recorded part that had a mix of quantized or non-quantized timing bases (e.g. a mix of duplets and tuplets) or a part that had a unique groove in need of a little loosening. Just as Velocity has a separate randomize setting, I think timing (also note length) would benefit from a randomize setting not tied to another destructive editing parameter.

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2022

Extended alphabet CC midi, to be able to control external Synths like the D-05

mimidancer

19 Jun 2022

huggermugger wrote:
28 May 2022
selig wrote:
27 May 2022

I think my point was just that you can't simply randomize microtimings unless you also apply quantization. This would be an issue in situations such as, for example, an already recorded part that had a mix of quantized or non-quantized timing bases (e.g. a mix of duplets and tuplets) or a part that had a unique groove in need of a little loosening. Just as Velocity has a separate randomize setting, I think timing (also note length) would benefit from a randomize setting not tied to another destructive editing parameter.

This is all well and good but please consider playing in the pocket and not quantizing. If you want a human feel, play it. Don't quantize it.

Heigen5

20 Jun 2022

One midi feature that isn't there and makes me scratch my head that it isn't: A pan value per a note!!!!11!!!!

• Information