Does Predator still have unique features

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
crimsonwarlock

27 May 2022

Predator is nicely discounted currently, and I'm thinking of getting it. I try to only buy stuff that adds something to my rig that the already available stuff can't do (or is hard/difficult to achieve). My gut feeling says that Predator does indeed have some unique sound capabilities, but at the same time I can't put my finger on it.

I do already have every other big synth available, so there obviously is a lot of overlap, but at the same time every other 3 osc VA seems to be in very different sound territory, like Legend, Viking, or even Thor. So, what makes Predator stand out (still), or is it surpassed by the newer stuff?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RandomNoise

27 May 2022

I have both the rack and vst, if I remember correctly I first got the rack and then asked to have a discount on the VST.
First of all, if you are interested in this synth, I would say that the VST version is way way much more useable than the rack version.
It has more space for the layout and there are more graphic controls and presentation of the wavetables, and other controls.

In terms of uniqueness, I've never seen a synth that offer 3 wavetables engine in which you can set different starting and ending points for the morph, meaning you are not limited to a fixed set of wavetable, but can mix and combine different ones for interesting results.
Second, there are tons of filter types on this synth, I know its not unique, but this synth does offer A LOT of filter types that sounds awesome.
It has a built in quite sophisticated step arp/sequencer IMO, and tons of modulations options.
Its presets browser and management is one of the most completed and best I've seen in any synth I have or used, hands down.

Now after listing out the great stuff it has to offer, I have to also honestly say and admit that I am not using it as much often as I should, and I think it is probably because I like to tweak and create most of my presets from scratch, and there is something a bit of overwhelming of having so many features in one synth (it really has tons of configuration options).

I also have GO2 from Rob Papen, and I find myself using it more often than predator - but again I would go for the vst version like with most of anything coming from RP, they are much better than the racks in Reason in my opinion.

I hope this helps and not create more confusion :D

Jac459

27 May 2022

RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
I have both the rack and vst, if I remember correctly I first got the rack and then asked to have a discount on the VST.
First of all, if you are interested in this synth, I would say that the VST version is way way much more useable than the rack version.
It has more space for the layout and there are more graphic controls and presentation of the wavetables, and other controls.

In terms of uniqueness, I've never seen a synth that offer 3 wavetables engine in which you can set different starting and ending points for the morph, meaning you are not limited to a fixed set of wavetable, but can mix and combine different ones for interesting results.
Second, there are tons of filter types on this synth, I know its not unique, but this synth does offer A LOT of filter types that sounds awesome.
It has a built in quite sophisticated step arp/sequencer IMO, and tons of modulations options.
Its presets browser and management is one of the most completed and best I've seen in any synth I have or used, hands down.

Now after listing out the great stuff it has to offer, I have to also honestly say and admit that I am not using it as much often as I should, and I think it is probably because I like to tweak and create most of my presets from scratch, and there is something a bit of overwhelming of having so many features in one synth (it really has tons of configuration options).

I also have GO2 from Rob Papen, and I find myself using it more often than predator - but again I would go for the vst version like with most of anything coming from RP, they are much better than the racks in Reason in my opinion.

I hope this helps and not create more confusion :D
This comment just costed me 55usd lol. I hear you on the vst but I just love the Re format (and don't have any rational explanation for it).

By the way I also bought the go2 and really love it... It was supposed to be a small simple cheap synth but it is in fact awesome.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2022

RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
I'm getting away from VST plugins as much as possible. Mainly because I've grown a distaste for popup windows. It's one of the main reasons I moved to Reason as my main DAW.
RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
You must be talking about Predator 2 or 3 VST, as PredatorRE doesn't have this afaics.
RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
That is one thing it seems to have over other RE synths. Although, Expanse also has a whole bunch of filter types.
RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
Although its ARP is nice, it is rivaled by all the players that we have available now.
RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
The large amount of options is what draws me to it, but at the same time it is that what makes it hard for me to see where it actually excels.
RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2022
I also have GO2 from Rob Papen, and I find myself using it more often than predator
I also have GO2, which makes it harder to decide :lol:
Jac459 wrote:
27 May 2022
This comment just costed me 55usd lol.
I'm trying to get there, but still undecided :puf_bigsmile:
Jac459 wrote:
27 May 2022
By the way I also bought the go2 and really love it... It was supposed to be a small simple cheap synth but it is in fact awesome.
GO2 is indeed much better than you would expect at first sight.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RandomNoise

27 May 2022

You must be talking about Predator 2 or 3 VST, as PredatorRE doesn't have this afaics.
Yes, sorry if that was not clear but all the above is referred to the VST, V.3.

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2022

OK, so just to make this clear, my question is about PredatorRE. That's why I posted this in Rack Extensions and not in VST plugins :puf_bigsmile:
-------

Jac459

28 May 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2022
OK, so just to make this clear, my question is about PredatorRE. That's why I posted this in Rack Extensions and not in VST plugins :puf_bigsmile:
I am having great fun with this predatorRe. Don't like the ui so much but the sound is really nice. Goes very well with legend and antidote.
It is like cooking with 3 similar but distinct ingredients.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information