Roadmap Update (21 March 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jaeproduced

25 May 2022

orthodox wrote:
24 May 2022
jaeproduced wrote:
24 May 2022
Any update on VST3 May is coming to an end?
So differently not happening in May huh?

jam-s

25 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
24 May 2022
At least:
The work on supporting VST3 in Reason has now started and is our top priority initiative.
:thumbup: :clap:
Sounds like: "Your call is very important to us... please hold."

*scnr*

orthodox
RE Developer

25 May 2022

jam-s wrote:
25 May 2022
Sounds like: "Your call is very important to us... please hold."
Is there really anything else they could say to avoid being criticized?

Billy+

25 May 2022

I think they said it would be feature complete before the end of the year, so maybe it's going to be worth trying and if it's available with a reasonable discount for Black Friday with the graphics bugs gone and the essentials actually available I say it's worth the wait.

Loque

25 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
25 May 2022
I think they said it would be feature complete before the end of the year...
Which year? ;)
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

25 May 2022

orthodox wrote:
25 May 2022
No, there will always be some dissatisfied user giving critical feedback on any of their moves or announcements. That's just the way the web works.

Jac459

25 May 2022

jam-s wrote:
25 May 2022
orthodox wrote:
25 May 2022
No, there will always be some dissatisfied user giving critical feedback on any of their moves or announcements. That's just the way the web works.
This is true, it is like there is a trend to be 'that' a**hole customer complaining about anything without the most little understanding of the constraints of the company...
Very annoying... And trendy on all DAWs unfortunately.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
25 May 2022
jam-s wrote:
25 May 2022

This is true, it is like there is a trend to be 'that' a**hole customer complaining about anything without the most little understanding of the constraints of the company...
Did you buy R12? Are you satisfied?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

26 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
25 May 2022
jam-s wrote:
25 May 2022

I didn't upgrade to R12 and it still ruined my life. And slapped me in the face. Literally.
Also, I saw this video where someone had read this thing about something and got offended and now I'm super-offended about whatever that thing was. There are so many lives needlessly ruined.

Billy+

26 May 2022

Loque wrote:
25 May 2022
Billy+ wrote:
25 May 2022
I think they said it would be feature complete before the end of the year...
Which year? ;)
Well with any luck 2022 but I guess that's a plan not a promise :lol:
however they did say all the roadmap features would be in R12.

sasasch

26 May 2022

I need support for polyphonic Aftertouch soon. So many VSTs and external Synthesizer out now which can handle it, but are lost in Reason.

Jac459

27 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
25 May 2022

Did you buy R12? Are you satisfied?
Yes I bought R12 and yes I am very satisfied. If I weren't I would buy ableton, bitwig or studio one and leave reasontalk.

I am very annoyed by the fact that the vst display scale is still not working on important plugins like ozone 9 but as everybody is already aware I don't feel the urge to complain here again and again. Reason talk is not a coping mechanism.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

EnochLight

27 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
27 May 2022
I am very annoyed by the fact that the vst display scale is still not working on important plugins like ozone 9
As an Ozone 9 Advanced user myself, I just wanted to chime in on this: iZotope (now Francisco Partners) is as much to blame, as they crippled the plugin version of Ozone. If you run Ozone in standalone, you can freely resize the GUI/UX. If you run Ozone in plugin mode, you are unable to resize the GUI/UX at all. There is no technical reason for this other than iZotope made a conscious decision to cripple it. To add insult to injury, it probably won't be fixed until Ozone 10, and we'll have to pay for the upgrade.

Reason can certainly still be improved, but this is one area where iZotope should be taken to task, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jaeproduced

27 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
27 May 2022
I am very annoyed by the fact that the vst display scale is still not working on important plugins like ozone 9
As an Ozone 9 Advanced user myself, I just wanted to chime in on this: iZotope (now Francisco Partners) is as much to blame, as they crippled the plugin version of Ozone. If you run Ozone in standalone, you can freely resize the GUI/UX. If you run Ozone in plugin mode, you are unable to resize the GUI/UX at all. There is no technical reason for this other than iZotope made a conscious decision to cripple it. To add insult to injury, it probably won't be fixed until Ozone 10, and we'll have to pay for the upgrade.

Reason can certainly still be improved, but this is one area where iZotope should be taken to task, IMHO.
There is a pattern of companies being destroyed internally once these Venture Capital firms buy them out. The products and services immediately start to decline and the companies are never the same again. Hint Hint it just happen with this company all the sudden the software is buggy, they offered less features on the updates and the prices ALWAYS seem to go up. Whole foods is another good example there differently is a pattern...

Billy+

27 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
27 May 2022

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this not being a Reason problem,

Since switching to Live 11 it's becoming more apparent that vst problems in Reason are not problematic in Live especially if you have access to the actual vst's rather than RRP RE's.

Spire vst for example runs way better in Live than the rack extension version REespire and personally I think it's because RS doesn't want us to have vst's, it took years for them (RS) to half implement vst support and we are still waiting for a full vst implementation.

Yeah I understand that it might just be difficult for the two (RE / VST ) to work well within the standalone version of Reason - but I beginning to think it is by choice rather than technical reasons.

Maybe that's a speed of development thing rather than anything thing else but either way I think more could be done than is being done within Reason Studios by the developers if it was more of a priority.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 May 2022
Yeah I understand that it might just be difficult for the two (RE / VST ) to work well within the standalone version of Reason - but I beginning to think it is by choice rather than technical reasons.

Maybe that's a speed of development thing rather than anything thing else but either way I think more could be done than is being done within Reason Studios by the developers if it was more of a priority.
In a nutshell ... it's complicated.

It's silly to suggest it's just because they're choosing for it to not work, because we can clearly see hundreds of VSTs working.

Your hypothesis is that they've specifically targetted THIS ONE VST but not ... say ... Waves VSTs. This is a silly (baseless) accusation.

Programming is hard and complex. That's all that's happening here 🤦

Especially implementing an API specification that is not always strictly followed.

EnochLight

28 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
27 May 2022
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this not being a Reason problem,

Since switching to Live 11 it's becoming more apparent that vst problems in Reason are not problematic in Live
Yeah I take that back. I just realized that in Live 11 you can resize Ozone without issue, so it's clearly a Reason issue. It's been so long that I used Ozone in Live 11 that I didn't realize it was indicative to Reason. D'oh! :thumbup: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

28 May 2022

I wasn't suggesting that one vst had been somehow targeted but the whole vst implementation is something that has just been throwing together rather than developed.

A second thought that "will do"

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
28 May 2022
I wasn't suggesting that one vst had been somehow targeted but the whole vst implementation is something that has just been throwing together rather than developed.

A second thought that "will do"
I guess I could sort of agree with the "will do". And tbh, it's fine for the most part.

But you always have to remember that there are untold nuances VST hosts have to deal with. I can resize Kontakt without any issue in Reason. So they're clearly not blocking window resizing.

Billy+

28 May 2022

It's been awhile since I've looked into development stuff but sometime ago I stumbled onto a tool that detects the features of vst plugins and allows for scripted interactions with plugins and presets for analysis because they don't always work as expected and sometimes the host needs to handle more than just one option but without putting in the work it's difficult and time consuming for host to always provide the correct method for individual plugins.

From my time at college during the programming module we was taught that there's always at least 4 ways to achieve the desired results :-
3 that everyone is using (correctly)
1 unique way that you might find by trial and error (rather than understanding)

None are necessarily wrong until it's causes problems.

• Information