What synth(s) should I make a refill for next?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!

What synth(s) should I make a refill for next?

Poll ended at 22 May 2022

Scenic
7%
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
14%
Oberon
7%
Snakebite
5%
Malström
15%
Megasaur
8%
Expanse
29%
Algoritm
15%

Total votes: 59
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 May 2022

As some of you may have noticed, lately I've been making more of my own patches and refills. Something I'm still new to.
Since I can't decide what synth(s) I should explore next, I thought why not have some fun and let the RT people decide. I have way too many synths to pick from, but these are some I'd like to try out more right now.
I think I'll take on the 2 synths that gets the most votes.
I'll at least make 30 patches for each. That way if I discover I absolutely hate working with a synth, I have at least given it a fair chance. And if I like a synth I might make more.

So vote for the 2 synths that you think I should make patches for next. I'll let the voting go for 6 days. So when the week is over I'll have the result.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 May 2022

Interesting result so far. Not what I expected (with the exception for Expanse).
But a lot can still happen. :puf_smile:

TheGodOfRainbows

18 May 2022

I picked Algoritim and JP Harmonic Synth, but that one is a tie with Expanse. I'd like to see a refill of all three. Fourthly I'd like to see a Malstrom refill, and the rest of the synth I don't own.

crimsonwarlock

19 May 2022

It seems I'm the only one who likes Oberon :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

19 May 2022

What? No love for ID8?
crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2022
I like Oberon. I like Snakebite. I like Malstrom. I like JPS. I like Expanse. But I went with Algo.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 May 2022
Even though Oberon might have to wait a bit judging by the results, at some point I would really like to give it some attention. I feel like I have no idea what it's capable of. The few times I have used it, it's only been a preset machine.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

challism wrote:
19 May 2022
What? No love for ID8?
If only ID8 had the ability to save patches, I would make a 10000 patches refill for it. Promise.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
18 May 2022
I picked Algoritim and JP Harmonic Synth, but that one is a tie with Expanse. I'd like to see a refill of all three. Fourthly I'd like to see a Malstrom refill, and the rest of the synth I don't own.
I'd like to dive into all of them eventually. I just can't decide where to start. It's definitely some sort of choice paralasys. That's when you know you have to much stuff.
I know I won't reach expert level with any synth I dive into. But at least I'll get to know them a little bit. So far I've dipped my toes with Europa, Grain and Parsec. It would be nice to over time create some sort of parch library of my own from a varitey of synths. I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

Looks like I can already start working on Expanse patches.

What the second synth might be seems more uncertain.

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 May 2022
I feel like I have no idea what it's capable of.
Going from the available presets, it can do some things that are hard or maybe even impossible with other synths. I picked it up during a sale as my first big wavetable synth, but actually wanted Expanse (that I also have now). However, Oberon turned out to be a whole other beast, very deep and capable of very complex stuff.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 May 2022
The few times I have used it, it's only been a preset machine.
That is mainly the same for me, hence my choice here. I did dabble a bit with loading external wavetables, which gives entirely different results than Expanse or Europa for example… which is a good thing of course :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

20 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 May 2022
challism wrote:
19 May 2022
What? No love for ID8?
If only ID8 had the ability to save patches, I would make a 10000 patches refill for it. Promise.
Yet another Combi workaround!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

arnigretar

20 May 2022

my vote is for Malström! always interesting to hear what other create with this beauty.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

littlejam

20 May 2022

hello,

i voted for expanse and JPS harmonic synth

if it is not too problematic of cumbersome
please consider users still on R10
who can't use the new combi2 patches

thank you to TritoneAddiction for the patches

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

littlejam wrote:
20 May 2022
hello,

i voted for expanse and JPS harmonic synth

if it is not too problematic of cumbersome
please consider users still on R10
who can't use the new combi2 patches

thank you to TritoneAddiction for the patches

cheers and eat well,

j
I’m still on R11. Either way I will keep the patches combinator free, as I’m not a fan of opening big combinator patches myself. If a synth has built in fx I’ll use them if they enhance a patch. If a synth dosen’t have fx then some patches won’t be as polished. But the plan is to use what’s there available in the synth.

It will be easy to remove or add their own effects without much hassle if one wants to.

littlejam

21 May 2022

hello,

@TritoneAddiction: thank you very much for that information
i am a happyhappy camper

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2022

Last day for voting.
Expanse is a clear winner, so that's one of the two synths.
The second synth is still not certain. Will it be JPS Harmonic Synthesizer, Malström or Algoritm?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 May 2022

Thanks guys for helping me pick between all these choices. If I had done it on my own I suspect I'd still be somewhat paralysed by too many options to pick from. :puf_smile:

Since Algoritm and Malström both ended up at second place, I'll explore both of these synths as well as Expanse. I think these 3 synths will be good to work with simultaneously. They all have very different character. So if I temporarily get tired of one I can get some variation and jump between them.

DaveyG

23 May 2022

The advantage of Malström is that pretty much everyone reading this will own it. Algoritm not so much and, I would think, Expanse even less, although it may have been in one of the synth rigs. Having said that, I find Malström one of the less interesting synths. So go for whatever inspires you the most.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 May 2022

DaveyG wrote:
23 May 2022
The advantage of Malström is that pretty much everyone reading this will own it. Algoritm not so much and, I would think, Expanse even less, although it may have been in one of the synth rigs. Having said that, I find Malström one of the less interesting synths. So go for whatever inspires you the most.
I suspect quite a lot of people own Expanse. It was pretty big news when it was released. It also has a big chunk of people rating it in the Shop. But who knows.

The thing is I don't really know what synths inspires me, hence this thread. Going from just being a preset scroller and focusing on making songs, to actually making my own patches from scratch, it definitely makes me view every instrument in a new light.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 May 2022

arnigretar wrote:
20 May 2022
my vote is for Malström! always interesting to hear what other create with this beauty.
Just started working with Malström. It definitely has its own thing going on. Very unique character. Honestly initially it was probably the synth I had hoped the least would get voted as a winner here. But now that I'm playing around with it I feel differently about it. Seems I tend to make more weird sounds than playable sounds with it though.

• Information