Advanced "Groups" in a remotemap file

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Hans_47

13 May 2022

I have difficulties to understand remote mapping in full and I read many remote mapping scripts and map files and one thing I do not understand is -as an example- the Nektar Panorama remote map file published in this forum there is more than just one Group entry.
What does it actually mean (in the example below "Patch 1" or "Default" beyond column 7)?

Code: Select all

Scope       Propellerhead Software       se.propellerheads.ElectricGuitaristPC
Define Group       Mode       Instrument      Mixer       Transport       Channel
Define Group       X_Mode       Default       Mix
Define Group       force_patch_Feedback       Patch 1       Patch 2

//  1                2                   3                4              5          6           7
// Map       Control Surface Item       Key       Remotable Item       Scale       Mode       Group
Map          Mixer Mode                           Mode=Mixer
Map          Instrument Mode                      Mode=Instrument
Map          Transport Mode                       Mode=Transport
Map          Channel Mode                         Mode=Channel

Map          Device Name                          AList Guitar                     HOME
Map          Patch Name                           Patch Name                                  Instrument       Patch 1
Map          Patch Name                           Patch Name                                  Instrument       Patch 2

Map          Instrument Mode                      X_Mode=Default                              Instrument

Map          Force_patch_change                   force_patch_Feedback=Patch 1                Instrument       Patch 2
Map          Force_patch_change                   force_patch_Feedback=Patch 2                Instrument       Patch 1

Map          Ch Knob 5                            Key                                         Instrument       Default
Map          Ch Knob 6                            Style                                       Instrument       Default
Map          Ch Knob 7                            Swing                                       Instrument       Default
Map          Ch Knob 8                            Feel                                        Instrument       Default
Perhaps this was answered already somewhere but I did not find anything.
Last edited by Hans_47 on 14 May 2022, edited 1 time in total.

rmtcvolte

13 May 2022

Download and take a look into the Remote Docs here: https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products
You can export a complete list of remotable items by selecting a device and goto File->"Export Device Remote Info"
For a general explanation about groups, search the reason manual for "Remote basics" or "About mapping variations".

The Nektar is not an easy mapping to explain Groups, the Panorama has buttons for different modes to choose from (first group), here you can switch to control the main mixer, an instrument/fx and so on. If I remember correct the display on the Panorama can show the faders or knobs (second group) and the last group ensures that the display will updated with the remotable items mapped to the control surface items. But dont take me too serious about it.

For a better understanding: lets say you like to control all the levels on Redrum (10 sample slots + master volume) with 8 Encoders, then it could look like this:

Code: Select all

Scope	Propellerheads	Redrum Drum Computer
//	Control Surface Item	Key	Remotable Item	Scale	Mode	Groups

Define Group	Drums	Drum1-8	Drum9-10

Map	Preset Left Button		Drums=Drum1-8			Drum9-10
Map	Preset Right Button		Drums=Drum9-10			Drum1-8

Map	Bottom Row Encoder 1		Drum 1 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 2		Drum 2 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 3		Drum 3 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 4		Drum 4 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 5		Drum 5 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 6		Drum 6 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 7		Drum 7 Level			Drum1-8
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 8		Drum 8 Level			Drum1-8

Map	Bottom Row Encoder 1		Drum 9 Level			Drum9-10
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 2		Drum 10 Level			Drum9-10
Map	Bottom Row Encoder 8		Master Level			Drum9-10

Hans_47

14 May 2022

Hi, thank you for your answer.
I guess I have basic understanding of writing remote control script and remote files and I read all of your suggested readings. Have written a lua remote script for my DJTT Midi Fighter Twister including the remote map file using groups. But I read also other examples of remote scripts and map files thinking I could improve my current "programming". And one of these is the Panorama P4 remote script listed above used as my example.

Perhaps this is an advanced question and refering to my example above I wonder when is e.g. "Ch Knob 5" active. I guess when group "Instrument" is active but what about "Default"? Is that a group which has to be active too? Can there be more than one group? Or is it either/or or both? What is the logic behind. That is my missing information and this "additional" or "other" group entry is not mentioned/described in the Remote SDK documentation.

Maybe I should ask the originator of this script? Should I ask Reason Studios?

rmtcvolte

14 May 2022

The codec for the Panorama is a good example what is possible with Reason Remote. I have to correct me with the group functions used in the scope for the ElectricGuitarist. If you follow the mapping you will see that "Ch Knob 5" is listed a second time with "Mix" as a group statement. So "Default" is the state in which Ch knob 5 to 8 is in, when you select the device and hit the Instrument button above the display. By pressing a Button ("X4-ch" in this case a button below the display) this will change only the mapping of these 4 knobs to the other remotable items listed. Force_patch_change is a kind of virtual button, not representing a real button on the Panorama unlike the ones mentioned above.
Yes, you can have multiple groups and this is "additional" (Instrument and Default and ...) or (Instrument and Mix and ...). The codec for the Panorama is provided by the vendor Nektartech.
PM me if you like to take a look at my complete mapping for the Redrum on BCR2000 with 3 groups and about 250 entry's.

• Information