Cre8audio East Beast - semi-modular synth

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

11 May 2022

I really like the stuff that Cre8audio is making and their prices. I've had my eye on the NiftyKEYS. This looks and sounds pretty cool.

https://www.cre8audio.com/eastbeast

$249.99

• East coast style subtractive monophonic synthesizer
  • Controllable via MIDI, CV, and integrated button keyboard
  • Fully patchable - use East Beast’s components as separate modules with external devices or reroute its internal patching. It’s like having 9 individual modules (Oscillator, filter, envelope, VCA, LFO, multi-mod tool, sequencer, MIDI to CV converter, and button keyboard).
  • 32 step sequencer with up to 13 presets
  • Generative sequencing mode
  • Clock-synced arpeggiator
  • Step sequencer can be manipulated & transposed via MIDI and the integrated button keyboard
  • Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizer developed 100% analog oscillator
  • Oscillator waveforms - sine, triangle, saw, square, and pitched noise - Waveforms can be combined
  • Oscillator includes pulse-width modulation (PWM) and frequency modulation (FM)
  • Variable state, multi-mode PGH “No-Dead-Spots” filter (lowpass, bandpass, highpass, modes can be combined)
  • Analog envelope generator
  • Integrated VCA
  • Dual-range analog LFO with triangle wave output
  • Digital multi-mod tool - modulation control via CV, random generator, and extra LFO and envelope generator
  • Internal clock with tap tempo and can be clocked via an external source.
  • Built-in clock divider
  • Can be used standalone in its included case or removed and used as a eurorack format module
  • Specifications for when used as a eurorack module
  • Width when used as a module = 40hp
  • Depth when used as a module = 25mm
  • 213mA power draw when running +12V rail
  • 151mA power draw when running -12V
  • Input voltage range of oscillator = 0-10V
  • Included in the box - 1x East Beast, 1x East Beast wall-wart power supply, 5x Amazing Nazca Noodles Patch Cables, 2x 3.5mm to 5 pin MIDI Din pigtails, and love (love’s presence likely, but not guaranteed)

Catblack

11 May 2022

I'm a huge fan of Richard Nicol, and his livestreams are all great fun to chat to. He's been teasing the East Beast while racking and patching all of the impressive new modules lately. One of the only youtube channels I subscribe to. https://www.youtube.com/c/Pittsburghmodular/videos

I live fairly near them and when I first got into modular a few years ago I picked up a Pittsburgh Modular case and then fried it while building a DIY module. They let me come over to their space and we chatted while they quickly fixed it. I quite honestly would have given up on modular around then if they hadn't been so kind. I've brought some of their modules back over to be repaired since (just dropping off in the lobby during the pandemic.) They have been stellar from a customer service perspective.

A couple weeks ago too I contacted someone off craigslist who was selling one of their old smaller skiffs. Went to meet the guy and realized on the way it was in their building. (The seller works on the floor above them.) Small world!

Also, though it's stopped for the pandemic, there's a Lifeforms modular synth available for checkout locally donated by them. I've had it for a couple of weeks, it was great.

So Pittsburgh Modular are the bees knees! I've already got a long list of the modules from them I want (Filter of Crows! Cascading Florist!) but I'll probably add the East Beast to the list.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

joeyluck

12 May 2022

Very cool stories! Awesome you live so close to them. I was familiar with Pittsburgh Modular before, but didn't really learn much about them until I started looking into the NiftyKEYS. I'm excited about Cre8audio. These are prices that can compete pretty well with Behringer. Looking forward to what they do next.

Catblack

12 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2022
Very cool stories! Awesome you live so close to them. I was familiar with Pittsburgh Modular before, but didn't really learn much about them until I started looking into the NiftyKEYS. I'm excited about Cre8audio. These are prices that can compete pretty well with Behringer. Looking forward to what they do next.
I've just read that the East Beast has the same filter as the Filter of Crows module -- for the same price. I know they are doing limited runs on their modules. I'll just have to keep an eye on the used market. I do like their Polar Bear snare module but probably won't get it new. (I'm down to one single module I want/have to get new this year -- the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator 2.)

I know I can make snare sounds 'in the box' in Reason, but I really love the tactile experimentation that comes with modular.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Faastwalker

12 May 2022

Very cool. And fits straight into Eurorack. For sounds, function, price.

The Cre8audio / Pittsburgh collaboration keeps knocking it out of the park.

• Information