Stuck notes from the dual arpeggiator in Reason 12

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
robussc

03 May 2022

I tried to search for an answer, but had no luck, so apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm having trouble with the dual arpeggiator not sending note off sometimes. So in Europa for example the little note on LED remains lit and whatever note continues to play until I stop the sequencer. I've sometimes been able to fix it by deleting the arpeggiator and the re-adding it but eventually the problem comes back.

Anyone else seen this? (I am running on an ancient iMac, but the app still keeps up as long as I don't overload on VSTs!)

It is quite frustrating and seemingly such a silly bug.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

05 May 2022

robussc wrote:
03 May 2022
I tried to search for an answer, but had no luck, so apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm having trouble with the dual arpeggiator not sending note off sometimes. So in Europa for example the little note on LED remains lit and whatever note continues to play until I stop the sequencer. I've sometimes been able to fix it by deleting the arpeggiator and the re-adding it but eventually the problem comes back.

Anyone else seen this? (I am running on an ancient iMac, but the app still keeps up as long as I don't overload on VSTs!)

It is quite frustrating and seemingly such a silly bug.
The only time I ever had hanging midi is Reason it was fixed by changing the hyperthreading option. Maybe this will help? Please let me know.

robussc

09 May 2022

Thanks, Hyperthreading is off currently. You think I should turn it on?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

09 May 2022

robussc wrote:
09 May 2022
I have hyperthreading off as well. but the other two options on use audio care and use multicore. My next question is are you using ASIO drivers for your sound card?

jsm201

10 May 2022

If you have "Hold" selected at the top of the Arp it will sometimes continue to play after the sequencer is stopped.

Also, I was having the opposite problem, where the Arp would not start to play until 1 or 2 beats after an automation clip activated Arp 1 or Arp 2. I contacted Reason about this and they said it was a known issue.

robussc

11 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
09 May 2022
robussc wrote:
09 May 2022
I have hyperthreading off as well. but the other two options on use audio care and use multicore. My next question is are you using ASIO drivers for your sound card?
On a Mac so core audio, but I really think this is midi level issue rather than audio.

robussc

11 May 2022

jsm201 wrote:
10 May 2022
If you have "Hold" selected at the top of the Arp it will sometimes continue to play after the sequencer is stopped.

Also, I was having the opposite problem, where the Arp would not start to play until 1 or 2 beats after an automation clip activated Arp 1 or Arp 2. I contacted Reason about this and they said it was a known issue.
I’m not using the hold feature, interesting on the other bug though.

huggermugger

11 May 2022

jsm201 wrote:
10 May 2022
"Known Issue" - Translation, we don't plan to do anything about it.

robussc

31 Dec 2022

Just noting that I’m still getting this issue. Very annoying and I’m using mixer mute automation to manage it.

artotaku

31 Dec 2022

robussc wrote:
31 Dec 2022
Just noting that I’m still getting this issue. Very annoying and I’m using mixer mute automation to manage it.
How is the setup on your side exactly? Dual Arp needs note input to play any notes. So are you saying that whenever the input note to Dual Arp is off/stopped and you see no playhead step progress in Dual Arp a note is still hanging and send to an instrument below the Dual Arp?
Does On/off on the player rather than deleting the player stop it?
Does Arp 1 on/off button stop it?
What happens if you reduce the length of the input note a bit so the note ends a bit before you want the Dual Arp to stop?

robussc

01 Jan 2023

artotaku wrote:
31 Dec 2022
robussc wrote:
31 Dec 2022
How is the setup on your side exactly? Dual Arp needs note input to play any notes. So are you saying that whenever the input note to Dual Arp is off/stopped and you see no playhead step progress in Dual Arp a note is still hanging and send to an instrument below the Dual Arp?
What happens if you reduce the length of the input note a bit so the note ends a bit before you want the Dual Arp to stop?
It’s a very simple setup: either chords from Scales & Chords or the sequencer, being fed into dual arp and then into Europa (I’ve only seen it in Europa btw). The note on LED remains lit in Europa and the note drones on.

I should try and duplicate the track in a stand-alone project and see if I can make an easy repro for the devs. (have to believe it’s some complicated interaction of things though)

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give them a try.

artotaku

04 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
01 Jan 2023
artotaku wrote:
31 Dec 2022

It’s a very simple setup: either chords from Scales & Chords or the sequencer, being fed into dual arp and then into Europa (I’ve only seen it in Europa btw). The note on LED remains lit in Europa and the note drones on.

I should try and duplicate the track in a stand-alone project and see if I can make an easy repro for the devs. (have to believe it’s some complicated interaction of things though)

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give them a try.
Isolating the issue in a simple Reason doc would surely help, not only for the RS devs to reproduce it but we, the Reasontalk community, could also try to reproduce it. And I can feel you, this issue with the Arp (if it´s really a bug) is nagging.

robussc

05 Jan 2023

Just tried isolating the track in a new reason doc and of course the note off is delivered as expected.

robussc

05 Jan 2023

Well then I decided to upload the entire project, but that timed out because the file was too big (lots of audio tracks) - so I duplicated the project, deleted the audio tracks and of course now it doesn't repro. What a pain.

artotaku

05 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Well then I decided to upload the entire project, but that timed out because the file was too big (lots of audio tracks) - so I duplicated the project, deleted the audio tracks and of course now it doesn't repro. What a pain.
Seems to be hard nut to crack. You could delete the audio tracks one be one and just test after each deletion if the issue is still reproducable. On the other hand I think you can just send the original document to RS support by e-mail or when they request it so they can have look into it.

• Information