Issue with WAV files on Reason 5

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
dinvirulent

01 May 2022

Hello,

I realize I am a few generations behind, but I recently moved from using Reason 3 to Reason 5. In reason 3 I would program drums and backing instruments, and then also record live guitar and vocals etc, and then combine them within reason by exporting my live tracks individually as wav files, and then importing them into Redrum and triggering them at the very beginning of the song, and everything would line up like it did on GarageBand or logic, and I would be able to mix and master them. Granted I would have to listen to each live track all the way through while mixing, and was unable to stop them in the middle once triggered, which was not an issue for me. I now have Reason 5, and have tried this same method, and it will not work properly. I am collaborating with a buddy, and he wanted to add some synth chords to a song we are working on, he sent me the wav file, I imported into the redrum, triggered at the beginning, and the file plays about 2 seconds early. I have even trimmed the file and triggered it right where it belongs, but the tempo is somehow quicker on the file. When I line up the exported reason file and the synth chord file individually on GarageBand, they line up perfectly and play fine. I just don’t get what I’m doing wrong, or what differences between 3 and 5 may have made this method no longer possible. I have gone down the rabbit hole with sample rates and have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Any help would be so so appreciated in fixing this.

jam-s

01 May 2022

You could try to import/load the wav as a sample in NNXT (or even NN19) instead of Redrum and see if this helps.

dinvirulent

01 May 2022

jam-s wrote:
01 May 2022
You could try to import/load the wav as a sample in NNXT (or even NN19) instead of Redrum and see if this helps.
I tried NN19 but still had issues, I’m not sure how to load a wav file into NNXT, when I browse from the NNXT, my wav files don’t even show up. I appreciate the response

jam-s

01 May 2022

Just another idea: Check the sample rate of the wav file. Something like a 44.1kHz vs. 48kHz mismatch might also be a possible cause, as I'm not sure if this old version of Reason already did re-sample any wav samples to the sample rate of the project.

For NNXT you should not try to load up a device patch but rather reset the device and then use the programmer to load the sample there into a zone. Have a look at the manual on how to work with the NNXT.

dinvirulent

01 May 2022

jam-s wrote:
01 May 2022
Just another idea: Check the sample rate of the wav file. Something like a 44.1kHz vs. 48kHz mismatch might also be a possible cause, as I'm not sure if this old version of Reason already did re-sample any wav samples to the sample rate of the project.

For NNXT you should not try to load up a device patch but rather reset the device and then use the programmer to load the sample there into a zone. Have a look at the manual on how to work with the NNXT.
I did get NNXT to work, but the sample still had the same issues. I am currently assessing the sample rate suggestion. Thanks for the reply

dinvirulent

02 May 2022

dinvirulent wrote:
01 May 2022
jam-s wrote:
01 May 2022

I did get NNXT to work, but the sample still had the same issues. I am currently assessing the sample rate suggestion. Thanks for the reply
The sample rate was not the issue. The thing is, why did what I’m doing work with no issues on 3, but here there are issues? I’m so confuses. This is so frustrating! Any other ideas very much welcomed

dinvirulent

05 May 2022

The problems continue. When exporting individual tracks, they are a half step off. This whole thing is baffling.

dinvirulent

15 May 2022

😑😑😑

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2022

If they are EXACTLY a half step off, it’s very odd. But if they are a little over a half step, it’s a sample rate issue between 44.1 and 48 kHz.
Selig Audio, LLC

dinvirulent

16 May 2022

selig wrote:
16 May 2022
If they are EXACTLY a half step off, it’s very odd. But if they are a little over a half step, it’s a sample rate issue between 44.1 and 48 kHz.
Perfect thank you. I still have no clue why the wav files I load into redrum are so far off timing wise, and even if I get the first hit to line up by moving when it is triggered, it’s still off time, as it the wav file has been modified somehow.

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2022

dinvirulent wrote:
16 May 2022
selig wrote:
16 May 2022
Perfect thank you. I still have no clue why the wav files I load into redrum are so far off timing wise, and even if I get the first hit to line up by moving when it is triggered, it’s still off time, as it the wav file has been modified somehow.
Would be interesting to check the file header if you can, if just to see what the imbedded tempo/sample rate data is compared to your song's tempo/sample rate. You could also try importing the file into an empty song with the 'correct' tempo and sample rate, then export and see what happens.
Selig Audio, LLC

dinvirulent

25 Aug 2022

So…. Here we are again. I started recording an album, and in the past I would program drums and instruments, then export and import to GarageBand for tracking guitar vox etc, then export those tracks back into reason and trigger them with redrum. Reason 5 is definitely changing the sample rate of the wav file. When I play the file stand alone, it’s fine. After importing into reason, it’s slightly sped up and pitch is raised slightly. This is indicative of a 44.1 to 48 kHz mismatch, however, all settings in all programs are dialed in to 44.1. I am beyond frustrated with this. I see no setting control for the sample rate of an input sample. It’s treating the wav file as if it has been exported at 48, and now I’m playing it in the program at 44.1, but that’s not true. I even resampled a wav file at 44.1 just to make sure. Sounds correct outside of the program, incorrect inside the program. What. Is. The. Issue???

• Information