Chord SQ from Retouch

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
thedude

01 Feb 2022

reading what you wrote made me realize i should have just downloaded the trial and i would have seen that, ha.

Is there a way to send the midi straight to track? I see that I can record with keypress to trigger the player's sequencer, but what if i dont want to do that?

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2022

that is what both those options do, this is from the reason manual

Activate Direct Record to record the MIDI notes generated by the Player(s), instead of the notes you play from your MIDI Control Keyboard.
Direct Record mode is for when you use Players as an input tool (record chords, etc) and for when you want to capture your live tweaking (for example, play an arpeggiator and tweak the parameters in real time) and want to get the generated notes recorded straight into the note clip.
If you play back already recorded notes from the sequencer track of the instrument, they are not affected/processed by the Player (i.e they bypass the Player(s) and are sent directly to the instrument itself).
Click the Send to Track button to render the notes generated by the Player(s), based on the notes in the original note clip(s) on the Instrument track in the sequencer.
The result is a new note clip on a new note lane, on the instrument's track. The original note clips on that track are automatically cut at the Left and Right Locators. The original clip(s) between the Locators are muted. Also, the Bypass All switch will automatically be turned on after the rendering is done.
Only the section between the Left and Right Locators is rendered. If the Right Locator is to the left of the Left Locator position, the function doesn't do anything (like with Redrum etc.).
If you have recorded in Direct Record mode, or used the Send Notes to Track function, the rendered notes are already in the note clip in the sequencer. If you don’t need the Player(s) anymore after this you can just delete them to save some DSP load.
- Certified Reason expert

thedude

01 Feb 2022

Bes wrote:
01 Feb 2022
that is what both those options do, this is from the reason manual

Activate Direct Record to record the MIDI notes generated by the Player(s), instead of the notes you play from your MIDI Control Keyboard.
Direct Record mode is for when you use Players as an input tool (record chords, etc) and for when you want to capture your live tweaking (for example, play an arpeggiator and tweak the parameters in real time) and want to get the generated notes recorded straight into the note clip.
If you play back already recorded notes from the sequencer track of the instrument, they are not affected/processed by the Player (i.e they bypass the Player(s) and are sent directly to the instrument itself).
Click the Send to Track button to render the notes generated by the Player(s), based on the notes in the original note clip(s) on the Instrument track in the sequencer.
The result is a new note clip on a new note lane, on the instrument's track. The original note clips on that track are automatically cut at the Left and Right Locators. The original clip(s) between the Locators are muted. Also, the Bypass All switch will automatically be turned on after the rendering is done.
Only the section between the Left and Right Locators is rendered. If the Right Locator is to the left of the Left Locator position, the function doesn't do anything (like with Redrum etc.).
If you have recorded in Direct Record mode, or used the Send Notes to Track function, the rendered notes are already in the note clip in the sequencer. If you don’t need the Player(s) anymore after this you can just delete them to save some DSP load.
Hey Bes - I am a little confused because I have never used a 3rd party player before. With Reason players, I just click on the send to track button and the midi clip is populated in the sequencer. With this, even when i choose a preset, it doesn't. am i missing something?

Bes
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2022

heck yeah i know why your confused but it isn't because it's a RE from another developer though.

you know how an arpeggiator works by playing in a chord and it plays them back as notes. chordseq takes in a note and plays back to you a sequence of chords. you can use the HOLD button for it to keep playing once the external note has ended, but it wont actually start the sequence without external triggering, that can come from MIDI keyboard or the reason sequencer or another player stacked above it like drumseq

RetouchControl
RE Developer

02 Feb 2022

What Bes said :puf_smile:

If you want to use "Send to Track", then you need a MIDI clip with a note to trigger the ChordSQ sequencer. The length of the note should be the same as the chords sequence (unless you want it shorter for some reason).

Additionally, it is important to understand that there are 3 different input modes (click on "Mode" in the upper right). If you use Input mode 1, then any note triggers the chords sequence as is. On the other hand, if you use Input mode 2 the entire chords sequence is transposed up or down depending on whether the note is higher or lower than C3.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 3.43.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 3.43.23 PM.png (386.57 KiB) Viewed 3443 times

huggermugger

08 Feb 2022

Thanks to another user for pointing this out. The Inversions (Inv 1, Inv 2 and Inv 3) are incorrect, they flip the logic of inversions by moving the top note down instead of the bottom note up. Done correctly, the first inversion of a triad takes the root note and raises it one octave, moves it above the other two. The second inversion follows suit, taking the lowest note of the first inversion and raising it an octave.

For example, with a C major triad...
Triad_inversions_graphic 2.PNG
Triad_inversions_graphic 2.PNG (21.16 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

Inversions on tetrads follow the same rule, and of course add a third inversion. ChordSQ mishandles these in the same way.
VDL9Dx.png
VDL9Dx.png (26.1 KiB) Viewed 3349 times

Hopefully this gets corrected in an otherwise exciting Player.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

huggermugger wrote:
08 Feb 2022
The Inversions (Inv 1, Inv 2 and Inv 3) are incorrect, they flip the logic of inversions by moving the top note down instead of the bottom note up.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are absolutely correct. However, because in ChordSQ the root note for each chord is fixed once chosen by the user, the "inversions" were implemented by moving the other notes in the chord instead. Perhaps it would have been better to name them like you did as "Inv 1", "Inv 2", etc. instead of "1st Inv", "2nd Inv" to avoid any confusion with music theory.

If this is something that bothers people, it will be looked at for the next update.

Stygian Abyss

10 Feb 2022

I've noticed another small music theory glitch with this Player: you can select a 3rd inversion for a triad, which doesn't exist. I like it anyway. :redface:

challism

11 Feb 2022

Stygian Abyss wrote:
10 Feb 2022
I've noticed another small music theory glitch with this Player: you can select a 3rd inversion for a triad, which doesn't exist. I like it anyway. :redface:
Wouldn't a 3rd inversion for a triad just be a return to the 1 3 5 formation (ie, full circle)?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Stygian Abyss

11 Feb 2022

challism wrote:
11 Feb 2022
Wouldn't a 3rd inversion for a triad just be a return to the 1 3 5 formation (ie, full circle)?
One could say so, but IIRC that's not exactly what happens... ;)

huggermugger

11 Feb 2022

challism wrote:
11 Feb 2022
Stygian Abyss wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Yes, that's exactly what happens in ChordSQ, and it's logical but of course incorrect to call it the 3rd inversion. It's just a return to the Root position. (note the error of 'inverting' the inversion process that I mentioned earlier in this thread - ChordSQ's 1st Inversion is actually a 2nd Inversion, and vice versa).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.24.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.24.56 PM.png (236.31 KiB) Viewed 3228 times

Stygian Abyss

21 Feb 2022

Yes, that's what I wasn't sure to remember correctly; it returns to the root position, but... one octave lower, witch contradicts this point:
RetouchControl wrote:
10 Feb 2022
However, because in ChordSQ the root note for each chord is fixed once chosen by the user, the "inversions" were implemented by moving the other notes in the chord instead.
It's a little illogical, but once you know it, it may in fact be useful.

huggermugger

21 Feb 2022

RetouchControl wrote:
10 Feb 2022
huggermugger wrote:
08 Feb 2022
The Inversions (Inv 1, Inv 2 and Inv 3) are incorrect, they flip the logic of inversions by moving the top note down instead of the bottom note up.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are absolutely correct. However, because in ChordSQ the root note for each chord is fixed once chosen by the user, the "inversions" were implemented by moving the other notes in the chord instead. Perhaps it would have been better to name them like you did as "Inv 1", "Inv 2", etc. instead of "1st Inv", "2nd Inv" to avoid any confusion with music theory.

If this is something that bothers people, it will be looked at for the next update.
Well, Scales & Chords gets Inversions right. And basic music theory seems to be important to ChordSQ, given its magnificent collection of chords. :)

Bes
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

major update 1.2.0

Host Transport Sync
There is a new operation mode which syncs the internal sequencer to the Reason transport. In this mode, the chord sequence starts,
stops and runs in sync with the Reason playhead. Click on the Mode label and select "Host Transport Sync" from the menu to
activate this mode. Host Transport Sync is the new default mode when resetting the device.

Renamed Voicings
The inversion selections in the voicing menus have been renamed to "INV 1", "INV 2" and "INV 3". This is to avoid confusion
(hopefully) with the first, second and third inversion definitions from music theory. Because in ChordSQ the root note is set
independently and stays fixed once set, the inversion selections can only shift down the other notes in the chord while the root
remains fixed. For example, if the chord type is a triad, choosing "INV 1" shifts the top note down one octave, while choosing "INV 2"
shifts both the top and middle notes down one octave. If "INV 3" is selected, the result will be the same as when selecting "INV 2"
because there are only two notes in the chord beside the root.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2022

I think I have every single Retouch Control RE except this one. I never use any of them. I’m going to get this one all the same. Hahah.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

05 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
I think I have every single Retouch Control RE except this one. I never use any of them. I’m going to get this one all the same. Hahah.
I really like ChordSQ and its sister player, Phrase.
NoteRepeat is also a great one.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

arnigretar

05 May 2022

Bes wrote:
04 May 2022
Host Transport Sync
There is a new operation mode which syncs the internal sequencer to the Reason transport. In this mode, the chord sequence starts,
stops and runs in sync with the Reason playhead.
Awwwww yeah! Thanks :thumbup: brilliant :re:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Tinnitus

06 May 2022

Bes wrote:
04 May 2022
major update 1.2.0

Host Transport Sync
stops and runs in sync with the Reason playhead. Click on the Mode label and select "Host Transport Sync" from the menu to
activate this mode. Host Transport Sync is the new default mode when resetting the device.

Renamed Voicings
The inversion selections in the voicing menus have been renamed to "INV 1", "INV 2" and "INV 3". This is to avoid confusion
(hopefully) with the first, second and third inversion definitions from music theory. Because in ChordSQ the root note is set
independently and stays fixed once set, the inversion selections can only shift down the other notes in the chord while the root
remains fixed. For example, if the chord type is a triad, choosing "INV 1" shifts the top note down one octave, while choosing "INV 2"
shifts both the top and middle notes down one octave. If "INV 3" is selected, the result will be the same as when selecting "INV 2"
because there are only two notes in the chord beside the root.
Edit: trialed it and can see there is a random option.

This looks interesting.
Is there a RND button to randomise a step, as this might lead to interesting variations as extensions to what you already manually created?
If not , also adding a step lock to avoid a compete patch randomisation would be helpful.
Can you also drag steps to reorder them?

electrofux

09 May 2022

Just bought this since it now has transport sync and can act like a standard sequencer. I love it. And it has very good remote support. So i started to translate this thing on my Launchpad.

By any chance, if you get your hands on it again, can you add a remote item for the running light? It would be very usefull to see where the sequence is at - on this more than others because of the different durations of the steps.

MirrorEyEs

16 Jun 2022

Got a weird bug with this player. Can anyone else confirm?

When stacked on top of each other (it might be the same with single instances), if you save a song file with the players switched off they switch on when the song file is loaded next time and play with the transport. This is in Host Transport Sync mode!

It can't be right as no other player does this, they stay switched off! What's weird is I have 3 stacked, 2 switched off and 1 with the on/off automated which works as expected, the other 2 don't behave as they should i.e. switch on all by themselves!
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Bes
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2022

this is common to all ReTouch players not a condition of being stacked or in transport mode. as you've mentioned they can be automated to start in DEVICE OFF but it is not the same behaviour as other brands of players. you can email the dev from their website retouchcontrol.com/

crimsonwarlock

24 Dec 2022

RetouchControl wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Thanks for the feedback.
More feedback :puf_wink:

I ran into a little bug with ChordSQ, actually RS found it after I submitted a ticket about Bassline Generator not working correctly with ChordSQ.

Bassline Generator only needs the root-note from something else to follow, but after connecting the root-note out from ChordSQ this didn't work. As it appears, ChordSQ only outputs the root-note when the corresponding gate-out is also connected. So, anything you want to sync the note to without a gate, this won't work. The current workaround is to connect the ChordSQ root-note gate-out to anything, like for example a splitter (that does nothing else).

Hopefully this can be corrected in a future update.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information