Which of your REs have you (pretty much) never used?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Aosta

03 May 2022

Steedus wrote:
03 May 2022
Uhbik-A quickly fell out of favour for me
I used this all the time back in the day but haven't used it for a long time. I remember there were some issues with it maybe delay compensation stuff before they sorted that out with the button.
Why did it fall out of favour for you?
Tend the flame

dvdrtldg

03 May 2022

Uhbik A has a bug that never got fixed, some sort of problem that occurs if you're working at 48K or higher. The VST version is fine

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022

Thanks. Who knows, maybe I'll actually revisit some of these and try to make some creative project around it. We'll see.
Although it's a little embarassing to see this long list of hardly used gear, it's also a good reminder that there's really no need to look at new toys. There's plenty of old ones to dive into and explore.
That's an excellent point. A few years ago I contributed patches to the FSB where I had to create 10 patches for each synth in Reason. It had been a long time since I had even loaded Subtractor or Malstrom, but damn if I didn't find some cool things to do with both of those once I dove in and TRIED to find cool things. If I had never needed to do that I would have totally missed out on the power of even the simple tools, and I try to stay reminded of this every time I open Reason and instinctively reach for the same old tools… ;)
[EDIT: quick tip, when not feeling totally creative song-wise, try 'forcing' yourself to use a plugin/feature you never use or even one you dislike! As a creative exercise, there are almost always lessons to be learned for me when I do this.]
It would be fun (or maybe not actually) to try a challenge like: "Use only the gear you hate the most". Something about the idea of trying to do something decent out of disliked/crap gear appeals to me.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
02 May 2022
RGRE - "Virtual rhythm guitar player", probably the worst RE instrument I own
Yep I hate it too. I remember trialing it when it came out. It's pretty aweful. Would never buy that one.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

Aosta wrote:
03 May 2022
Steedus wrote:
03 May 2022
I used this all the time back in the day but haven't used it for a long time. I remember there were some issues with it maybe delay compensation stuff before they sorted that out with the button.
I think I was looking for a particular type of verb and it just wasn't doing it for me. And once I had Synapse's Deep Reverb, and then much later on some VSTs like Little Plate there was no going back to Uhbik-A. I still have it installed but never use it.

dvdrtldg

03 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 May 2022
dvdrtldg wrote:
02 May 2022
RGRE - "Virtual rhythm guitar player", probably the worst RE instrument I own
Yep I hate it too. I remember trialing it when it came out. It's pretty aweful. Would never buy that one.
I always make a special effort to find a use for shitty REs, like throw a bunch of weird FX on them, get crazy with CV modulation, bend them way out of shape, use them in a noise composition, anything to justify the purchase. Most of the time it works, I've even found a place for those horrible Aeon Heavyocity instruments here & there. But RGRE just defies every attempt, it's kind of impressive in a way

Iapetus 9

04 May 2022

I generally like to use all of my REs, but there is one that has been banned from my rack- Scope Jr. I'll never forget the feeling I had to finally have a scope in Reason, loading that onto my codemeter, and then having my heart ripped out with disappointment. It's soooo frickin bad, and probably most likely the result of early RE limitations if I were to guess. :::shudder::: The rest of the early Chronologists stuff is actually stellar and great value. Love me some Randrome.
38L > 51D every time.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2022
I've even found a place for those horrible Aeon Heavyocity instruments here & there.
No no no no no!!!!! Only REs I’ve ever requested be physically removed from my account
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Mataya

04 May 2022

Attention. I don't even know if it's called that. Wtf is that?

M

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2022

M
What?

The Rob Papen thing?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aosta

04 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2022
Uhbik A has a bug that never got fixed, some sort of problem that occurs if you're working at 48K or higher. The VST version is fine
Ah ok, shame him and props had that fall out
Steedus wrote:
03 May 2022
I think I was looking for a particular type of verb and it just wasn't doing it for me. And once I had Synapse's Deep Reverb, and then much later on some VSTs like Little Plate there was no going back to Uhbik-A. I still have it installed but never use it.
Yes, there are more options out there, the RV7000 II is usually my quick goto with the DR-1 for more lush stuff.
Tend the flame

Mataya

04 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
04 May 2022
Mataya wrote:
04 May 2022

M
What?

The Rob Papen thing?
Well yeah. What is that? When I see my authorizer downloaded that, I want to delete everything.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
04 May 2022

What?

The Rob Papen thing?
Well yeah. What is that? When I see my authorizer downloaded that, I want to delete everything.
Serves you right for downloading it in the first place hahahaha. You’ll maybe think twice about jumping on freebies in the future :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

strangers
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

I'm usually pretty good at trailing things before buying to avoid endless GAS so my list is fairly small.

1. Turn2On Meteora - I'm hoping I impulsively grabbed this as a freebie and didn't pay for it at some point.
2. D16 Devastator 2 - I wanted to like and use this more often. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get along with it.
3. Flower Audio 4Dyne - A bit of a CPU hog. Didn't feel the resource hit was worth the headache.
4. Lab One Recordings Black Night EQ - It's probably a decent EQ but the GUI keeps me from ever using this.
5. GForce ChamberTron - It's fun to play around with from time to time. Sound wise I don't really care for it.

arnigretar

04 May 2022

GForce Software - 'Re-Tron'. I purchased it when it was new -- but ended in never really using it.
Still sits on my account though -- and is there in the browser list... adding dust...
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

joeyluck

04 May 2022

strangers wrote:
04 May 2022
GForce ChamberTron - It's fun to play around with from time to time. Sound wise I don't really care for it.
This is one of my favorites! I think it's one of the best sounding sample-based REs available IMO. It can sound like it's not a 'tron' instrument with gorgeous patches like Lush Pad and other patches great for scoring, but it's handy for creating riffs as if sampled from records. I like browsing the artist patches, but the individual patches are also great.

arnigretar

04 May 2022

Aosta wrote:
03 May 2022
Steedus wrote:
03 May 2022
Oh yeah, I used that a lot back in the day. Have it on many songs. Was a favorite. But today just "adds dust" as well.

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

arnigretar

04 May 2022

But ChamberTron... never tried, I think! Gonna check it out. Reading that joeluck praise... had me at "lush pads" lol :D

strangers
Competition Winner

04 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
04 May 2022
strangers wrote:
04 May 2022
GForce ChamberTron - It's fun to play around with from time to time. Sound wise I don't really care for it.
This is one of my favorites! I think it's one of the best sounding sample-based REs available IMO. It can sound like it's not a 'tron' instrument with gorgeous patches like Lush Pad and other patches great for scoring, but it's handy for creating riffs as if sampled from records. I like browsing the artist patches, but the individual patches are also great.
You've got me curious to dust it off and give it another shot. It's been a while since I've used it. We'll see if my thoughts change or not. I like TritoneAddiction's idea of creating a song with REs we've neglected. ChamberTron may be a contender.

joeyluck

04 May 2022

arnigretar wrote:
04 May 2022
GForce Software - 'Re-Tron'. I purchased it when it was new -- but ended in never really using it.
Still sits on my account though -- and is there in the browser list... adding dust...
Oh no! All my favorites! :lol: I should stop clicking on this thread :P

Or maybe that's the point of this thread? We say the REs we don't use or don't like and then fans of those devices can chime in and make an attempt to spark (or re-spark) our interest.
arnigretar wrote:
04 May 2022
But ChamberTron... never tried, I think! Gonna check it out. Reading that joeluck praise... had me at "lush pads" lol :D
Definitely worth checking out :thumbup:

Might I also add, this is one of the best launch videos made for a RE IMO. GForce / Dave Spiers in general is great at showcasing, but also giving you all of that interesting history and backstory.

arnigretar

04 May 2022

Thanks for this joeyluck! Yeah, you are right! I just opened Re-Tron and been playing with it for the last 10 minutes. Taking the dust of !! It's actually just very fine.
Now I'm checking out ChamberTron. And this video is great.

Faastwalker

04 May 2022

Too many to list. Would be easier for me to list the ones I've bought and actually used! :?

crimsonwarlock

05 May 2022

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2022
Now I want ChamberTron.
Same here :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Chi-Individual

05 May 2022

I have both Heavyocity REs and I don’t think I’ve played more than 10patches from each before deleting them. I need to revisit those.

• Information