Which of your REs have you (pretty much) never used?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

We all have them right? Some REs we've bought, only to have them end up collecting dust. For whatever reason we simply haven't given them any attention. We bought them and then almost immediately forgot about them.

Follow up question. Are there any of your forgotten dust collecting REs that you'd like to revisit or give a second chance?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

For me there's a long list of things I've hardly ever used. I might have included some of them in one song right after purchase and then forgotten about them.

Hydronexius
ES-01 Analog Synthesizer
Omega Trimmer
Omega Mastering Clipper
DCAM EnvShaper
Psychedelic Haas Sample Slice Unit
PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit
RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
kHs Reverb
Tape Cassette Deck
Efektor TR3604 Tremolo
EVE-MP5 Program Equalizer
Efektor WF3607 Wah Filter
Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer
Complex-1 Modular Synthesizer
Pattern Mutator
Processed Pianos
RPDistort Effect
PunchBDRE Instrument
Selig Leveler
Nautilus Bass Synthesizer
Iridium Distortion Synth
SoedeSoft SidMaster
Delta MIDI Computer
Spring 905 Reverberation Effect
Isolate-X Frequency Isolator/Remover
Some of the Noise Engineering stuff I'm sure. Honestly I reach for them occasionally but I afterwards I have no idea which one I have and haven't used since they all look the same.

From this list I could see myself going back to revisit a few and dive a little deeper. Psychedelic Haas Sample Slice Unit, Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer, Pattern Mutator, Delta MIDI Computer.
Really I should make an entire EP just using my long list of REs above as inspiration.

WaxTrax

02 May 2022

I would be too embarassed to provide my list :lol: I keep telling myself I will get to them all one day (this is just a hobby for me, not a profession).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
02 May 2022
I would be too embarassed to provide my list :lol: I keep telling myself I will get to them all one day (this is just a hobby for me, not a profession).
:puf_smile: Well perhaps it's less embarassing to stick to the follow up question. "Are there any of your forgotten dust collecting REs that you'd like to revisit or give a second chance?"

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

DNALabs
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

I can't think of any. Several you mentioned I use quite often like Delta, Pattern mutator.

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022
For me there's a long list of things I've hardly ever used. I might have included some of them in one song right after purchase and then forgotten about them.

Hydronexius
ES-01 Analog Synthesizer
Omega Trimmer
Omega Mastering Clipper
DCAM EnvShaper
kHs Reverb
Tape Cassette Deck
Efektor TR3604 Tremolo
Pattern Mutator
Processed Pianos
RPDistort Effect
PunchBDRE Instrument
Selig Leveler
Iridium Distortion Synth
SoedeSoft SidMaster
Delta MIDI Computer
Some of the Noise Engineering stuff I'm sure. Honestly I reach for them occasionally but I afterwards I have no idea which one I have and haven't used since they all look the same.

From this list I could see myself going back to revisit a few and dive a little deeper. Psychedelic Haas Sample Slice Unit, Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer, Pattern Mutator, Delta MIDI Computer.
Really I should make an entire EP just using my long list of REs above as inspiration.
Not sure I can help with the others, but if you want any tips or suggestions for using Leveler, let me know (DM me)! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022

Hydronexius
ES-01 Analog Synthesizer
Omega Trimmer
Omega Mastering Clipper
DCAM EnvShaper
kHs Reverb
Tape Cassette Deck
Efektor TR3604 Tremolo
Pattern Mutator
Processed Pianos
RPDistort Effect
PunchBDRE Instrument
Selig Leveler
Iridium Distortion Synth
SoedeSoft SidMaster
Delta MIDI Computer

Not sure I can help with the others, but if you want any tips or suggestions for using Leveler, let me know (DM me)! :)
Curve it's called
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
Thanks. Who knows, maybe I'll actually revisit some of these and try to make some creative project around it. We'll see.
Although it's a little embarassing to see this long list of hardly used gear, it's also a good reminder that there's really no need to look at new toys. There's plenty of old ones to dive into and explore.

rootwheel

02 May 2022

I bought Algoritm thinking I would use it loads and just haven't ever found the time to dig into it or use it yet. The few times I've wanted an FM sound it was easier to just reach for PX7...

I'll have to do a one synth track challenge with it at some point to force myself to use it :)

freshkidblaze

02 May 2022

Kron , I tried plenty of times to give it a chance but the gui is overwhelming

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022
selig wrote:
02 May 2022
Thanks. Who knows, maybe I'll actually revisit some of these and try to make some creative project around it. We'll see.
Although it's a little embarassing to see this long list of hardly used gear, it's also a good reminder that there's really no need to look at new toys. There's plenty of old ones to dive into and explore.
That's an excellent point. A few years ago I contributed patches to the FSB where I had to create 10 patches for each synth in Reason. It had been a long time since I had even loaded Subtractor or Malstrom, but damn if I didn't find some cool things to do with both of those once I dove in and TRIED to find cool things. If I had never needed to do that I would have totally missed out on the power of even the simple tools, and I try to stay reminded of this every time I open Reason and instinctively reach for the same old tools… ;)
[EDIT: quick tip, when not feeling totally creative song-wise, try 'forcing' yourself to use a plugin/feature you never use or even one you dislike! As a creative exercise, there are almost always lessons to be learned for me when I do this.]
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

02 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022

Hydronexius
ES-01 Analog Synthesizer
Omega Trimmer
Omega Mastering Clipper
DCAM EnvShaper
kHs Reverb
Tape Cassette Deck
Efektor TR3604 Tremolo
Pattern Mutator
Processed Pianos
RPDistort Effect
PunchBDRE Instrument
Selig Leveler
Iridium Distortion Synth
SoedeSoft SidMaster
Delta MIDI Computer

I use RYM2612 and PCM2612 a lot!! I can get lost having fun all day just dragging patches from RYMCast into Reason.

MP5 I use frequently on vocals and my master.

kHs Reverb I use often in Combinator effect patches for sound design, more using the width control.

ES-01 has some go-to presets for me, particularly my own lol

RPDistort is one I should look at more. I just saw that Rob Papen released ver 2 in other plugin formats.

MC-1 More Cowbell is probably one I should use more as well! :lol:
I had also gotten the MT-1 Metronome and haven't used that at all.

dvdrtldg

02 May 2022

freshkidblaze wrote:
02 May 2022
Kron , I tried plenty of times to give it a chance but the gui is overwhelming
Yeah I've given up on Kron too. A shame, because it's got so much potential. But that GUI is insane

Also:

kHs ONE - picked this up for $20 and for some reason I have the VST too. But it doesn't really give me anything I can't get from Subtractor

Rostnomo Random Synthesizer - nice freebie but I always just reach for Nostromo

AutoTheory Harmonic Engine - an early Scales & Chords type device, interesting concept but too inflexible, fiddly & time consuming to program

RGRE - "Virtual rhythm guitar player", probably the worst RE instrument I own

Skrock Thermal synth - just haven't gotten around to exploring it yet, it might be great but the hideous UI is off putting

Blamsoft Resampler Bit Crusher - it's great, but I got it literally the day before the RE version of Decimort2 appeared in the shop

Black Knight 5 Band EQ - another one where the UI is too nasty, I think I got it free but have never used it

Reasonistas SideChain ReAction - looks interesting but I haven't needed it yet, my sidechain requirements are pretty simple

buddard
RE Developer

03 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 May 2022
MC-1 More Cowbell is probably one I should use more as well! :lol:
Well, you always need more cowbell! :D
joeyluck wrote:
02 May 2022
I had also gotten the MT-1 Metronome and haven't used that at all.
I think the best way to use MT-1 is to add it to the song template, with the 'C' key mapped to on/off.

DaveyG

03 May 2022

I've got loads of stuff that came with a synth rig and with Suite that I have barely touched after the initial prodding. I've also got shedload of utility devices, many free, that never see the light of day because I rarely use CV.

Every now and again I go to the shop to check out a device that someone has mentioned on these forums and find that I already own it!

paulred67

03 May 2022

Many. In fact I uninstalled the entire Reason 11. Now I'm happy with another DAW, VSTs and HW.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

Radical Keys. Hate it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mimidancer

03 May 2022

Quad note generator, baseline generator, pattern mutator, scenic hybrid, and that little half-rack distortion thing

dvdrtldg

03 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2022
Radical Keys. Hate it.
Really? I like it, especially the Pianet Tea preset with a few tweaks, it's quite lovely. What's the issue?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2022
Radical Keys. Hate it.
Really? I like it, especially the Pianet Tea preset with a few tweaks, it's quite lovely. What's the issue?
It’s weak sounding. Lounge Lizard kicks it out the park. Sampleson stuff likewise. Bought RK when it was released and never liked it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

DNA Labs Hydroxnexius. Given it a second and third chance and still do not like it all. If you could gift rack extensions I would offer this up to people to get rid of it.

Aosta

03 May 2022

Quick look at my REs..

VK-1
Boom 808
WBL 5515
Korg Monopoly
Sub Boom Bass
Punch BD
OchenK Glitch
Ochenk Chip64
Buffre
3Plex
RP Distort
Bitspeak
SB Filter Pattern
SB Slice Arranger
Uhbik F

Plus an absolute boat load of utilities mainly CV that I got from god knows where?
Tend the flame

rootwheel

03 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2022
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 May 2022

It’s weak sounding. Lounge Lizard kicks it out the park. Sampleson stuff likewise. Bought RK when it was released and never liked it.
Have to disagree with this one. Lounge Lizard has always sounded fake to me. Radical Keys sounds far more like a real Rhodes or Wurlitzer.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

Not counting freebies:

The Animus
Uhbik-A
ChamberTron

Kinda regret buying these tbh. I bought ChamberTron because I won ReTron in a song competition and was. feeling generous, but I've literally never used it once. Uhbik-A quickly fell out of favour for me, and The Animus .. well while I admit it's probably just too complicated for me to get my head around, I have an issue with how the convo reverbs behave. I actually tried to get a refund on that one. (no luck)

• Information