Cheap Mic to use with BVX

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
bigbadjon303

02 May 2022

Hi All,

I'm really into the new BVX Vocoder (love the live stream that Mattias and Ryan did), but I write tacks without my vocals (I can't sing!) and as such not got a mic to try with it. Tried it with vocal samples and it sounds top draw.

I've got a Focusrite 4i4 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap head mic that would work with my Interface?

I think I need to get an XLR one as I'll need the phantom power? Not really sure though!

Cheers

Jon.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

bigbadjon303 wrote:
02 May 2022
Hi All,

I'm really into the new BVX Vocoder (love the live stream that Mattias and Ryan did), but I write tacks without my vocals (I can't sing!) and as such not got a mic to try with it. Tried it with vocal samples and it sounds top draw.

I've got a Focusrite 4i4 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap head mic that would work with my Interface?

I think I need to get an XLR one as I'll need the phantom power? Not really sure though!

Cheers

Jon.
How cheap is cheap?
This one: https://www.thomann.de/se/shure_beta_57_a.htm
Never look back. And no phantom power required.
Ask Joey Luck.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bigbadjon303

02 May 2022

Thanks for your reply MrFigg,

I was looking to use something like a Headmic, aka Kraftwerkesque?

Not really got the setup or space for this type of Mic (although I'm SURE it's very good lol).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

bigbadjon303 wrote:
02 May 2022
Thanks for your reply MrFigg,

I was looking to use something like a Headmic, aka Kraftwerkesque?

Not really got the setup or space for this type of Mic (although I'm SURE it's very good lol).
It’s 12” long. Use it as a rule.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bigbadjon303

02 May 2022

I'm not sure how I would hang that off my ear!! lol!!

I'm after a Headmic - any other suggestions, please?

Would this work: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_hc_95.htm#bewertung

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

bigbadjon303 wrote:
02 May 2022
I'm not sure how I would hang that off my ear!! lol!!

I'm after a Headmic - any other suggestions, please?

Would this work: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_hc_95.htm#bewertung
Silver tape
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

02 May 2022

That is indeed my favorite mic 🙂

That said, I've found that when using BV-X, my built-in mic of my MacBook Air does a pretty good job. If you watched the livestream, Mattias also used his built-in mic for that.

If you don't have ridiculous amounts of fan noise in your computer or other ambient noise, and if you have a built-in mic, it might also do the trick for you. The vocoder doesn't need top quality, full sound from your voice...it just needs intelligible vocals.

If you're set on the idea of a headset mic, anything you can find might do. Shure and Sennheiser are great. You might have adapt many of theirs as they are most are built for wireless body pack connection.

bigbadjon303

02 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 May 2022

That said, I've found that when using BV-X, my built-in mic of my MacBook Air does a pretty good job. If you watched the livestream, Mattias also used his built-in mic for that.

If you don't have ridiculous amounts of fan noise in your computer or other ambient noise, and if you have a built-in mic, it might also do the trick for you. The vocoder doesn't need top quality, full sound from your voice...it just needs intelligible vocals.

If you're set on the idea of a headset mic, anything you can find might do. Shure and Sennheiser are great. You might have adapt many of theirs as they are most are built for wireless body pack connection.
Thanks Joey for your reply.

I'm on PC in an ITx Mini case, so I need to get some kind of external Mic to go into the 4i4.

Did you see this link to the HC95? Would this do the job? Will it work with the Focusrite?

I don't want to spend a lot of money as I'm not a vocalist and will only be using it with the Vocoder but I want to get some of those sick sounds going.

I'll hold the tape just for now lol MrFigg.

joeyluck

02 May 2022

bigbadjon303 wrote:
02 May 2022
joeyluck wrote:
02 May 2022

Thanks Joey for your reply.

I'm on PC in an ITx Mini case, so I need to get some kind of external Mic to go into the 4i4.

Did you see this link to the HC95? Would this do the job? Will it work with the Focusrite?

I don't want to spend a lot of money as I'm not a vocalist and will only be using it with the Vocoder but I want to get some of those sick sounds going.

I'll hold the tape just for now lol MrFigg.
Yeah that was one of the types I was talking about. Looks like a TA4F "mini XLR" connector that you would typically plug into some wireless bodypack transmitters and other things, but it looks like it also comes with an XLR adapter, so you should be good?

Are those headphones on it or just padding added for comfort? Either way, you might want a mic without headphones built-in so you can have your headphones separate and also not deal with any connectivity issues when trying to just connect a mic.

dioxide

02 May 2022

Search for a gooseneck mic. This is the kind that is often used with vocoders.

• Information