SONONICS IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

When I trialed Revival I was impressed by the fx section and would've probably bought it for that alone. But I didn't. Now I've got the PSP and IK Leslies as well as the JP one and a couple of others. Only one I don't have is Rotor and I wouldn't thank you for it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

01 May 2022

I've got both of these devices. If I had to pick one, it would be Revival. That's one of the most underrated synths in the shop. If you can get past the GUI... the onboard FX alone make it a great deal. And the quirky hybrid synth action is pretty unique, too. I'd definitely grab this one before it's gone.

GSX has a really great tape stop effect with a decent amount of adjustments. The keyboard triggers are a cool approach to be able to "play" the stuttering effect. The ability to route 5 insert/external effects makes this a pretty creative effects device. That being said, I rarely use it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Skullture

02 May 2022

Revival is an essential. I still use it a lot especially for organ type sounds, it's unbeatable.

Anyone experienced with GSX, would you recommend it?

Loque

02 May 2022

Skullture wrote:
02 May 2022
Back in the time it had some quite unique features and the backside is still quite interesting to fiddle around. But it is not the easiest devices to use and takes a bit of time to tweak so it is not my first choice if i need some shaping, delay or tape stop fx. Today i mostly use other fx for my stuttering, shaping, tape stopping and delay stuff. Same for multiband stuff. Dont get me wrong, its good, but today not my first choice.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

02 May 2022

Skullture wrote:
02 May 2022
Revival is an essential. I still use it a lot especially for organ type sounds, it's unbeatable.

I like it, it's great for spicing up drum & percussion loops. I'm not interested in features like stutter & tape stop, but for multiband beat FX it's very fast & flexible. Less is more, use sparingly for best results. Well worth $25

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
02 May 2022
Skullture wrote:
02 May 2022

I like it, it's great for spicing up drum & percussion loops. I'm not interested in features like stutter & tape stop, but for multiband beat FX it's very fast & flexible. Less is more, use sparingly for best results. Well worth $25
But not €29 :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

02 May 2022

Yeah GSX is a little difficult to use. The presets are decent, but if you were to initialize the device and build something from scratch, it would take a long time to get pleasing results. Other than the tape stop and stutter FX, most of the other onboard FX are really limited in tweakability. You kind of just get what you get with very little control over the onboard FX (you basically get an attack, decay, gain, tone/lfo knob to control each effect). And I don't really find the onboard FX to be anything special - very middle-of-the-road, mostly due to lack of tweakability. The insert FX are its saving grace and can help you use your other (more tweakable, better sounding) effect with GSX's stutter and tape stop... because I don't care for the onboard effects, I basically see it as a multi FX mixer with onboard tape stop and stutter. I'd say if you've gone this long without GSX, you probably aren't missing and probably don't need it. I'd say you should put the money toward buying Revival before it's gone forever.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

If anyone is thinking of buying Revival then PM me first.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

Revival is still my goto Organ device. It's so well-made, the only thing I have bad to say is that it's such a busy device even after the high res revamp in R12.

That being said, it is my favourite organ in reason's ecosystem, and it is very versatile!

If you don't have it, get it.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

Exowildebeest wrote:
01 May 2022

Revival's rotary speaker fx simply sounds different from Rotor. Its controls aren't as advanced, but it makes up for that in sound. I could say it sounds more lo-fi or grittier something, but it's really hard to describe :lol:

The highlight for me though are the formant filters - again hard to describe, but they give me goosebumps, hit the right resonances :-)

In combination, Revival's fx can give beautiful movement to pads.
I have rotor and Revival. From what i remember, I'm not at my studio pc, revival has A LOT more rotator, and pre amp options than rotor, so i think it can give you a wider pallete of sounds, not only for the sheer amount of leslies, as the pre amps.

Gardinski

15 May 2022

Really sad news. Revival was the very first RE instrument I bought, way back in 2014. (I think I may have bought Polar a few days earlier, but that's an effect, so it doesn't count.)

Revival had (and still has) a real, organic grit which stands up beautifully all these years later. It's perhaps not the easiest thing to program, but the presets which come with it are superbly playable.

I'd urge anyone who hasn't tried it yet to give it a test run whilst it's still available. It's genuinely a unique entry in the Reason universe.

Aosta

15 May 2022

Gardinski wrote:
15 May 2022
I'd urge anyone who hasn't tried it yet to give it a test run whilst it's still available. It's genuinely a unique entry in the Reason universe.
Absolutely! The GUI is just so :? at first but once you grasp what does what and play around with it it is full of surprises.
Tend the flame

ab459

11 Jun 2022

Folks do anyone remember how a much was Revival during sales like BF's ?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2022

ab459 wrote:
11 Jun 2022
Hasn’t been in BF the last 4 years at least.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ab459

11 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2022
ab459 wrote:
11 Jun 2022
Oh ok, thanks.
Will try.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2022

ab459 wrote:
11 Jun 2022
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2022

Oh ok, thanks.
Will try.
PM me if you’re going to buy it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ab459

11 Jun 2022

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2022
ab459 wrote:
11 Jun 2022

Oh ok, thanks.
Will try.
PM me if you’re going to buy it.
PM'ed. (Thank you Frig)
Well, in end, i decided perhaps grab just GSX, because found that there is VST version of Revival.

miscend

01 Jul 2022

The same developer also coded RE-2A/CA-2A which a really great opto compressor plugin.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2022

miscend wrote:
01 Jul 2022
The same developer also coded RE-2A/CA-2A which a really great opto compressor plugin.
I knew he worked with Cakewalk, but didn't know he was involved in the RE-2A development. It would be great if he got back to Re Development! But i guess we are a small user base for Re Dev to be a profitable business.

Oh well...

NoisiaTHX

11 Aug 2022

jonnyretina

23 Aug 2022

miscend wrote:
01 Jul 2022
I finally sound a decent VST replacement for the RE-2A the other week; Native Instruments' VC 2A.

• Information