Does "X" still mark the spot? New Juno-X

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1935
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 26 Apr 2022

r11s

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Apr 2022

What a beautiful VST :puf_smile:
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1935
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 26 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
What a beautiful VST :puf_smile:
Pretty much.

It's a computer that looks like a classic synth, that runs emulations of classic synths. :clap: :lol:
r11s

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Apr 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
What a beautiful VST :puf_smile:
Pretty much.

It's a computer that looks like a classic synth, that runs emulations of classic synths. :clap: :lol:
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
Was thinking of getting a Deepmind

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1746
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 27 Apr 2022

Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
Was thinking of getting a Deepmind
I've tried a Deepmind and it's good but the display puts me off. I'm hoping they will do a V2 model and update it to a nice crisp OLED.

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

I feel this is about £700 to much.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Apr 2022

Wanted a Juno 106 since I had one in my hands for £160 in the early 90s and didn’t buy it. Being a guitar man I have no idea about hardware synths so a couple of questions if any one can help me out.
1. Is this essentially a Rompler?
2. That telephone beaming sound library thing…do Roland charge for that?
丰2ॐ

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Wanted a Juno 106 since I had one in my hands for £160 in the early 90s and didn’t buy it. Being a guitar man I have no idea about hardware synths so a couple of questions if any one can help me out.
1. Is this essentially a Rompler?
It's multi engine.
It contains the Roland cloud VST version of Juno 60/106 etc.. and the Roland rompler JV 5080

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

*raises hand*.

Actual previous vintage Juno 106 owner here. Having struggled with the insane amount of maintenance that vintage 106’s need, and having heard the ZenCore emulations side-by-side, I’m 85% certain I’ll be picking up a Juno-X. It addresses many shortcomings of the original and improves upon it tenfold.

But I am totally OK that this is essentially a computer + customized controller with a emulation running inside. That means no voice chips to replace and no filters to replace and very likely the sliders and pots are far improved over the vintage stuff from 35 to 40 years ago (Jupiter 4, 6, and 8 I’m looking at you).

Anyone who has had to acid strip their 106 voice chips knows the hell you go through to maintain vintage gear.

What I have zero interest in is Roland’s iOS/Android apps that allegedly add value to the Juno-X - they are famous for abandoning these sort of apps after a few years (Roland modular apps are a great example, and they even stopped supporting the desktop utilities). And the fact that the USB dongle is needed to transfer presets and sounds is ridiculous - it has built-in Bluetooth! They could have easily included a WiFi radio and called it a day (Akai MPC and Force have had WiFi as well as Bluetooth for 5 years).

But, all that aside, I’m 85% sure I’ll pick up the Juno-X. Might let my System-8 go, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Apr 2022

Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022
MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Wanted a Juno 106 since I had one in my hands for £160 in the early 90s and didn’t buy it. Being a guitar man I have no idea about hardware synths so a couple of questions if any one can help me out.
1. Is this essentially a Rompler?
It's multi engine.
It contains the Roland cloud VST version of Juno 60/106 etc.. and the Roland rompler JV 5080
So essentially I could just do all the stuff it does with Reason and a MIDI controller?
Last edited by MrFigg on 27 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
Was thinking of getting a Deepmind

757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
The problem with the Deepmind 12 (aside from it being a Roland rip-off) is the incessant fan noise (that thing can run pretty hot, and needing an active cooling solution by itself doesn't exactly send the warm fuzzies). It also is a "traditional" analog synth, in the sense that parts will likely need to be replaced down the line. Not convinced Behringer's long-term viability for this line is reliable.

With the Juno-X, there's no "analog parts" that can ever fail, and Roland seems to have made it very serviceable judging from the shell. With no active cooling required, it clearly runs cooler as well. Just my 2 cents.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Apr 2022
I would rather go Deepmind 12D
The problem with the Deepmind 12 (aside from it being a Roland rip-off) is the incessant fan noise (that thing can run pretty hot, and needing an active cooling solution by itself doesn't exactly send the warm fuzzies). It also is a "traditional" analog synth, in the sense that parts will likely need to be replaced down the line. Not convinced Behringer's long-term viability for this line is reliable.

With the Juno-X, there's no "analog parts" that can ever fail, and Roland seems to have made it very serviceable judging from the shell. With no active cooling required, it clearly runs cooler as well. Just my 2 cents.
Everything you say is valid.
Yes, the screen is not fun to look at. The reviewer in the video above talks about the fan noise. I don't know if the Deepmind 12 is known to break down a lot, or is responsible for burning down countless homes all over the world. Maybe.
Most of us understand the difference between that beat up 40yo analog gear you want to buy on eBay, and a modern analog machine built today, sold on sweetwater today.

You use the word "shell" and I believe that's very appropriate, since this is what Roland is producing: Zen-Core based shells.
https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/hardware/
Why not buy the cheapest shell, the MC-101 + Roland Cloud subscription, if you want to have access to that tasty 106ish sound?

You also use the words "Roland rip-off"... Like a $2000 Juno-X you mean?
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
You use the word "shell" and I believe that's very appropriate, since this is what Roland is producing: Zen-Core based shells.
https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/hardware/
Absolutely, and for the aforementioned reasons about component breakdown, I have zero problems with this. There seems to be a specific portion of synth lovers out there that hate the idea that many of these synths are just fancy MIDI controllers for virtual plugins. Having lived with Reason and other virtual instruments for the past 22+ years, I have no issue with this. ;)
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Why not buy the cheapest shell, the MC-101 + Roland Cloud subscription, if you want to have access to that tasty 106ish sound?
I considered the MC101, but... I already have 2 grooveboxes (an Akai Force and Akai MPC Live II). Don't really want a third, even if I'm just using it as a sound module.
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
You also use the words "Roland rip-off"... Like a $2000 Juno-X you mean?
Pretty sure you know what I was hinting at, but I'll spell it out in case some of the younger members are unaware: Behringer built an empire on reverse-engineering other companies R&D and successful products to build their own cheaper take. :-) :D How one feels about that is their own choice, of course.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022


It's multi engine.
It contains the Roland cloud VST version of Juno 60/106 etc.. and the Roland rompler JV 5080
So essentially I could just do all the stuff it does with Reason and a MIDI controller?
Reason, a midi controller and Softube's Model 84 will sound more accurate.
Image

I've owned several hardware Juno 106's over the years and also tried the muliple software versions. The Model 84 is the hardware in virtual form. It's incredible.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Apr 2022

Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022
MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2022


So essentially I could just do all the stuff it does with Reason and a MIDI controller?
Reason, a midi controller and Softube's Model 84 will sound more accurate.
Image
Aye. I’ve got the TAL one. That’ll do me :)
丰2ॐ

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022


Reason, a midi controller and Softube's Model 84 will sound more accurate.
Image
Aye. I’ve got the TAL one. That’ll do me :)
I've got the TAL one as well. It will sound just as good as the Juno-X for Juno sounds.

Heater
Posts: 686
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Heater wrote:
27 Apr 2022


Was thinking of getting a Deepmind

It sounds gorgeous.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
You use the word "shell" and I believe that's very appropriate, since this is what Roland is producing: Zen-Core based shells.
https://www.roland.com/us/promos/zen-core/hardware/
Absolutely, and for the aforementioned reasons about component breakdown, I have zero problems with this. There seems to be a specific portion of synth lovers out there that hate the idea that many of these synths are just fancy MIDI controllers for virtual plugins. Having lived with Reason and other virtual instruments for the past 22+ years, I have no issue with this. ;)
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Why not buy the cheapest shell, the MC-101 + Roland Cloud subscription, if you want to have access to that tasty 106ish sound?
I considered the MC101, but... I already have 2 grooveboxes (an Akai Force and Akai MPC Live II). Don't really want a third, even if I'm just using it as a sound module.
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
You also use the words "Roland rip-off"... Like a $2000 Juno-X you mean?
Pretty sure you know what I was hinting at, but I'll spell it out in case some of the younger members are unaware: Behringer built an empire on reverse-engineering other companies R&D and successful products to build their own cheaper take. :-) :D How one feels about that is their own choice, of course.
Sounds like Roland is telling the world Behringer was right.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Sounds like Roland is telling the world Behringer was right.
And Korg, and Arturia, and pretty much every other company that Behringer ripped off ideas from. ;) But I think you have that backwards: Roland, Korg, Arturia, etc were all "right", since Behringer is the one that apes their gear. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Sounds like Roland is telling the world Behringer was right.
And Korg, and Arturia, and pretty much every other company that Behringer ripped off ideas from. ;) But I think you have that backwards: Roland, Korg, Arturia, etc were all "right", since Behringer is the one that apes their gear. :lol:
It would explain why Roland decided to copy Behringer, but going for buyers with deep pockets, instead of the ones dreaming of affordable classic synths, like the 2600.
The consumers are always right.

@ 26:34
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
It would explain why Roland decided to copy Behringer, but going for buyers with deep pockets, instead of the ones dreaming of affordable classic synths, like the 2600.
How did Roland "copy" Behringer? :? Maybe I missed a product launch. Or do you mean because they are releasing updated/modern versions of their own classic gear? When did Behringer do that? ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3119
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 27 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 Apr 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
It would explain why Roland decided to copy Behringer, but going for buyers with deep pockets, instead of the ones dreaming of affordable classic synths, like the 2600.
How did Roland "copy" Behringer? :? Maybe I missed a product launch. Or do you mean because they are releasing updated/modern versions of their own classic gear? When did Behringer do that? ;)
In the spirit of cloning old machines, Roland is doing the same.
Expensive hardware clones for the few, vs cheaper clones of long gone expensive machines for the everyday dreamer. Roland offers the cloud, so you don't have to own the hardware, which is really cool for those who can't tell the difference between analog and digital, or just don't care.



757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 27 Apr 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Apr 2022
In the spirit of cloning old machines, Roland is doing the same.
Expensive hardware clones for the few, vs cheaper clones of long gone expensive machines for the everyday dreamer. Roland offers the cloud, so you don't have to own the hardware, which is really cool for those who can't tell the difference between analog and digital, or just don't care.
Yeah I don't see how that's the same at all, I'm afraid. Roland literally invented their take on the synth, and decades later are releasing an updated take (fun fact: this is not the first time Roland has released updated takes on their classic gear - they were doing it back when Uli was reverse engineering Mackie mixers and controllers to pass off as original Behringer products). :lol: So again, Behringer are copying the giants as always.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests