Players - send midi to combinator track

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tobypearce

16 Apr 2022

Try saving a combinator with a player and a synth.
Save the combinator.

Next time you load the combinator, Reason creates a track for it (but not for the synth it contains).
After creating midi in the player, click send to track. It doesn't work: you have to manually create a track for the synth first, then move the midi to the combinator track, then delete the synth track.

It would improve the workflow if Reason sent the midi directly to the combinator's sequencer track in cases where there any synths they contain don't already have their own track.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Apr 2022

tobypearce wrote:
16 Apr 2022
It would improve the workflow if Reason sent the midi directly to the combinator's sequencer track in cases where there any synths they contain don't already have their own track.
Do you mean, send the midi from a player inside the combinator to that same combinator's track? Wouldn't it potentially create even more problems? There may be other instruments and players in it, transpose filters and such. Why not just create the needed instrument track manually, or have the player on top of the combinator in the first place?

Tracks are not saved with patches. That one empty track is created on patch load is a minimal comfort measure that could be applied universally.

huggermugger

16 Apr 2022

It worked fine for me (though I'm in R11). I created and saved the Combinator. Then I loaded it into an empty song, where it indeed created a Combinator track. Then I set my L&R locators and clicked Send To Track. A new track was automatically created for the instrument and populated with note data from the Player, and the Player was set to 'Bypass All' as expected.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.01.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.01.28 PM.png (686.62 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 16 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Apr 2022

huggermugger wrote:
16 Apr 2022
It worked fine for me (though I'm in R11).
It works in R12 as well.

tobypearce

17 Apr 2022

Most odd. For me, you can see it running through the process you describe: the instrument track gets created and the midi gets laid down. But once it's finished, both disappear!!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

mimidancer

17 Apr 2022

tobypearce wrote:
16 Apr 2022
Try saving a combinator with a player and a synth.
Save the combinator.

Next time you load the combinator, Reason creates a track for it (but not for the synth it contains).
After creating midi in the player, click send to track. It doesn't work: you have to manually create a track for the synth first, then move the midi to the combinator track, then delete the synth track.

What I do is use the player on top. When I want a combi with a player I drag it inside before I save. Then when I load it I simply drag the player to the top. One click-drag motion. Not a big deal. think of it as plugging your guitar into an amp and then switching on the power. Easy peasy.

• Information