Is there a way to "record" CV data?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

31 May 2020

orthodox wrote:
31 May 2020
selig wrote:
31 May 2020
i just want to add that recording CV to audio is not just for "audio rate" effects!
For example, I've long been a fan of the Rhodes Suitcase stereo panning, recognizing it's slightly odd response and failing to duplicate it with any known LFO shape. So I "sampled" it.
To do this, I ran a sine wave through the external input, and recorded both channels as audio. Then I looped that and loaded it into an NNXT, and used Audio to CV (Thor IIRC) to convert to a CV which I used to control the level of the signal to be affected. BTW, this was not a simple waveform on the panning, and there would have been no way to replicate this shape with any available tools to my knowledge.
The result was for the first time I was able to hear the classing Rhodes panning applied to any signal, via a slightly off the beaten track approach: sampling a CV (by converting to audio).
For panning, I would use Audio by Audio amplitude/ring modulation, without any CV conversion.
Not sure I follow - how would you "sample" something like a Suitcase Rhodes pan curve?
I basically ran a 1k Sine through the instrument, sampled that and looped it in an NNXT (so I could adjust the rate by pitching the sample), then sent that into two Pulverisers (Left/Right) to generate the CV which I then sent to Thor to apply the amp modulation to the external signal. Worked a charm, and was around the time I was messing with more "stereo CV" ideas… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
31 May 2020
orthodox wrote:
31 May 2020
For panning, I would use Audio by Audio amplitude/ring modulation, without any CV conversion.
Not sure I follow - how would you "sample" something like a Suitcase Rhodes pan curve?
I basically ran a 1k Sine through the instrument, sampled that and looped it in an NNXT (so I could adjust the rate by pitching the sample), then sent that into two Pulverisers (Left/Right) to generate the CV which I then sent to Thor to apply the amp modulation to the external signal. Worked a charm, and was around the time I was messing with more "stereo CV" ideas… ;)
After a second thought, I am not so sure avoiding CV would bring any better results. I guess the panning frequency does not exceed 100 Hz and can be perfectly represented by a CV. I just thought about getting RMS envelopes from those sampled instrument outputs as audio rate signals, it was somewhat purist on my part.

w1pl0c

14 Apr 2022

If you could drag cv patterns into automation lanes from something like Shape. That would be amazing.

• Information