reasonrack instrument midi output

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
magwa101

16 Dec 2021

I have a reasonrack for the bass generator feeding into a reasonrack FM synth for the bass.

I want to record the midi into my DAW (Reaper) but reasonrack FM synth "eats" the midi notes and does not send them downstream. No bueno. Not a deal breaker but does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

I'm a reason n00b.

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2021

Correct, RRP does not output MIDI right now - later updates maybe.

Save that setup and open it in the Reason DAW. You can then print those notes to MIDI (top-right on the Player) and export that MIDI File and import to Reaper.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

DaveyG

17 Dec 2021

magwa101 wrote:
16 Dec 2021
I have a reasonrack for the bass generator feeding into a reasonrack FM synth for the bass.

I want to record the midi into my DAW (Reaper) but reasonrack FM synth "eats" the midi notes and does not send them downstream. No bueno. Not a deal breaker but does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

I'm a reason n00b.
I don't use Reaper but in Studio One I routinely do that sort of thing. The trick is to use two instances of the RRP on separate DAW tracks. The first instance contains the Bassline Generator (or any other player) driving a MIDI Out device. That will send MIDI to the DAW track but you won't hear any sound. The second track (and instance) contains an RRP which contains just the instrument you want to drive. How you connect these tracks together varies depending upon your DAW but if you Google something like "How to use Scaler VST in Reaper" you'll find instructions for using a VST that outputs MIDI. You are basically need to set the MIDI input of the instrument track to the output of the player track.

In a perfect world RS would give us more flexible MIDI routing inside Reason. I've never really understood why we can route audio and CV to/from anywhere but MIDI routing is fixed and limited.

crimsonwarlock

17 Dec 2021

What if you put bassline generator on top of a combinator and put the FM synth (is that Algoritm?) and a midi-out inside the combinator.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Alavux

03 Apr 2022

may i have a interruput this conversation with similar question , actually i need input , how can i split devices into several midi chanels actually each device have own midi chanel , bass generator 1 , redrum 2 and so on ? i have reason lite rack version , in stand alone that's doable but as vstI nope ... help ?

jam-s

03 Apr 2022

Alavux wrote:
03 Apr 2022
may i have a interruput this conversation with similar question , actually i need input , how can i split devices into several midi chanels actually each device have own midi chanel , bass generator 1 , redrum 2 and so on ? i have reason lite rack version , in stand alone that's doable but as vstI nope ... help ?
I think you can't do this with the RRP. You'll have to use one instance of the RRP for each MIDI track as the RRP is not multi timbral.

huggermugger

03 Apr 2022

magwa101 wrote:
16 Dec 2021

I have a reasonrack for the bass generator feeding into a reasonrack FM synth for the bass. I want to record the midi into my DAW (Reaper) but reasonrack FM synth "eats" the midi notes and does not send them downstream. No bueno. Not a deal breaker but does anyone have a solution for this?
I can record Players in Logic with the Mac's own IAC Bus. Output the Player to the IAC Bus, and record from the IAC Bus into the track that has the instrument on it. It's a realtime Recording, so if you want 16 bars, you have to play 16 bars, but it gets the job done.

I'm pretty sure it's even easier in Ableton. Hopefully Reaper has a similar possibility.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.03.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.03.29 AM.png (753.03 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

• Information