Speculation thread - RS releasing new device

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2022

Apparently Niklas (CEO) recently said in an interview:

"We have a new one coming out in March that Peter has developed, so watch out for that."

What do you think it will be?
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 28 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.

BRIGGS

28 Mar 2022

I don't know...what's left, that reason doesn't already have?

:puf_smile: does reason has one of these?

r11s

Loque

28 Mar 2022

He did not said a new synth. He said a "a new one" in context of synths. This could also mean, we release a new Android app.. "A" in sense of something, anything or a thing. Maybe we see a new DAW? A new bug (fix)?
Reason12, Win10

challism

28 Mar 2022

They could build some kind of physical modeling synth (similar to Friktion), but modeled after wind instruments instead of strings.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2022

Loque wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
He did not said a new synth. He said a "a new one" in context of synths. This could also mean, we release a new Android app.. "A" in sense of something, anything or a thing. Maybe we see a new DAW? A new bug (fix)?
Yeah I think you're right. And considering they've been talking about a new effect and a player is coming soon that's probably the case. I just got carried away when reading it and assumed it was about a synth since it sounded like it in the context.

Perhaps we could remove this thread? Can you help me with that?

Loque

28 Mar 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
28 Mar 2022
Yeah I think you're right. And considering they've been talking about a new effect and a player is coming soon that's probably the case. I just got carried away when reading it and assumed it was about a synth since it sounded like it in the context.

I could, but i won't, because it still can be a synth πŸ˜‚
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2022

28 Mar 2022
28 Mar 2022

I could, but i won't, because it still can be a synth πŸ˜‚
I edited my post/thread to something more fitting. :puf_smile:

crimsonwarlock

28 Mar 2022

BRIGGS wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
I don't know...what's left, that reason doesn't already have?

:puf_smile: does reason has one of these?

It doesn't. That's Why I still have Caustic installed. That thing is great to build crazy wavetables.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

rootwheel

28 Mar 2022

28 Mar 2022

"We have a new one coming out in March that Peter has developed, so watch out for that."

I think it will be some form of new vocoder and perhaps also designed to play pitched vocal sample loops in that modern EDM style (I know Mimic can do this already but I'm thinking something simpler and more accessible).

Tiny Montgomery

28 Mar 2022

Was it last year or the year before that creative delays were having a moment? I think it will be something like that.

Tiny Montgomery

28 Mar 2022

challism wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
They could build some kind of physical modeling synth (similar to Friktion), but modeled after wind instruments instead of strings.
I hope not, sounds awful.

PhillipOrdonez

28 Mar 2022

rootwheel wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
28 Mar 2022

I think it will be some form of new vocoder and perhaps also designed to play pitched vocal sample loops in that modern EDM style (I know Mimic can do this already but I'm thinking something simpler and more accessible).
Maybe RS version of that new hardware synth that sings what you want it to sing πŸ€”

challism

28 Mar 2022

Tiny Montgomery wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022
28 Mar 2022
Curios, do you think Friktion sounds awful? Or does the idea of a wind modeled synth sounds awful to you?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2022

28 Mar 2022
A Brass physical modeling synth would be awesome. I hate to solely rely on sample based stuff for brass/horns.

Kuranes2021

29 Mar 2022

28 Mar 2022
Tiny Montgomery wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022

Curios, do you think Friktion sounds awful? Or does the idea of a wind modeled synth sounds awful to you?
Friktion is a phantastic synth, time and time again I'm baffled how vivid it sounds.

honeyBadger

29 Mar 2022

He mentioned on Twitter it’s the same effect from the road map that is due in April:
Thank you Sam for taking the time to talk with me! (And to correct myself, the new effect comes out in April not March)

challism

29 Mar 2022

honeyBadger wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2022
He mentioned on Twitter it’s the same effect from the road map that is due in April:
Thank you Sam for taking the time to talk with me! (And to correct myself, the new effect comes out in April not March)
April 2023

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2022

Radical Castanets.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Aosta

29 Mar 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2022
Radical Castanets.
I still live in hope of seeing Radical Kazoo :puf_unhappy:
Tend the flame

BRIGGS

29 Mar 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2022
Radical Castanets.
r11s

Hoboys

29 Mar 2022

Gimmick!

motuscott

29 Mar 2022

Radical Iffy Patchcord, sometimes it works.
Based on an algorithm.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2022

My money is on a glitch effect (or an effect with glitches)

honeyBadger

30 Mar 2022

My guess is a filter named air.

RoryM0

31 Mar 2022

In the chief product officer's roadmap update from November 2021 he referred to the upcoming device as "a modern take on a classic effect".

So 'classic effect' could either mean an effect type that is considered classic (reverb, delay, filter, vocoder, chorus, fuzz etc), or a specific real FX hardware device released in the past that is lauded as a classic (Mutron Biphase, EMS vocoder 5000, Roland Space Echo RE-201 etc).

I'm going to say it's the former, and in recent years Reason has got fairly new filter/chorus/phase/flange devices, with Quartet and Sweeper. Another vocoder is a possibility i suppose given the popularity of vox FX stuff in modern productions, it seems a bit much to me though to have two dedicated vocoders in the rack, plus Neptune which does vocal FX and synth stuff.

So I'm going to guess that the device coming falls into either the delay/reverb category or distortion. The Echo, RV7000 and Scream 4 are all long in the tooth and there is likely much more that RS feel they could add in that area.

If I had to narrow down my guess, I'll say it's a new creative delay effect.

• Information