What are you watching at the moment? (possible spoilers)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Hoboys

23 Mar 2022

orthodox wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Following the story as it unfolds on TV and in the social networks. As a proponent, if anyone is interested.
I didn't know you were allowed an opinion.

Jagwah

23 Mar 2022

Dirty John - first season has Eric Bana second season has Christian Slater. Really intense true crime dramas, gripping.

motuscott

23 Mar 2022

The Thick of It, British political comedy, at least I think it's a comedy. Just. Brutal.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

rorystorm

23 Mar 2022

motuscott wrote:
23 Mar 2022
The Thick of It, British political comedy, at least I think it's a comedy. Just. Brutal.
I've worked in government a long time, including in a Minister's office. The thick of it is a fairly accurate depiction of what its like.

jappe

09 Apr 2022

I've been watching SciFi on the DUST youtube channel recently, really good stuff.

This one is about a colony on a distant planet trying to reconnect to earth.

Nice to know that they appreciate retro tech in the future, I recognized one of my headphone brands.

jappe

09 Apr 2022

Hoboys wrote:
23 Mar 2022
orthodox wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Following the story as it unfolds on TV and in the social networks. As a proponent, if anyone is interested.
I didn't know you were allowed an opinion.

The full length clip from that incident is even more surreal...Monty Python comes to mind:

littlejam

11 Apr 2022

hello,

found a coolcool video for joydivision

sharing an article in the 'what have you been reading' thread about the band
a very interesting read

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2022

Night of Wu Tang classics

An evergreen for making me feel a lazy bitsy.. :lol:
Also thunderous soundtracks....

rorystorm

28 Apr 2022

The Andy Warhol Diaries. Really good, weirdly sad.

chimp_spanner

06 May 2022

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds! It's only just started so I can only watch once a week but for anyone who's a fan of Trek and has been massively let down by its newest incarnations, this feels like the real deal. So happy.

rorystorm

06 May 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 May 2022
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds! It's only just started so I can only watch once a week but for anyone who's a fan of Trek and has been massively let down by its newest incarnations, this feels like the real deal. So happy.
I know I watched the first season of Picard, but I really couldn't tell you anything about it except it has Patrick Stewart in it and therefore it is is awesome. As for Discovery, well okay, it has possibly the most boring lead character of anything ever made and its quite incoherent in places and, as my friend Jonny said, too much pew pew pew not enough Prime Direction. On the other hand I thought it had a lot of really good stuff mixed in. I really liked the fact that the people who made it took a long, hard look at all the aging sad puppy #notmydoctor incels that still make up a large chunk of scifi fandom, and told them to actually get fucked. In particular the queerness is excellent and there's quite a bit going on that most straight people probably won't get and is really on point. And, as someone who has a nonbinary child, I'd quite like to find the person who wrote the scene where the nonbinary character identifies to the guy who's looking after them, and give them a hug - although with the caveat that it would be really nice to see a trans relationship in a mainstream production that's NOT tragic. Also it looks fantastic. Also, Tilly.

rorystorm

06 May 2022

oh, but yeah, the rebooty movies? they really aren't very good.

chimp_spanner

06 May 2022

rorystorm wrote:
06 May 2022
chimp_spanner wrote:
06 May 2022
I know I watched the first season of Picard, but I really couldn't tell you anything about it except it has Patrick Stewart in it and therefore it is is awesome. As for Discovery, well okay, it has possibly the most boring lead character of anything ever made and its quite incoherent in places and, as my friend Jonny said, too much pew pew pew not enough Prime Direction. On the other hand I thought it had a lot of really good stuff mixed in. I really liked the fact that the people who made it took a long, hard look at all the aging sad puppy #notmydoctor incels that still make up a large chunk of scifi fandom, and told them to actually get fucked. In particular the queerness is excellent and there's quite a bit going on that most straight people probably won't get and is really on point. And, as someone who has a nonbinary child, I'd quite like to find the person who wrote the scene where the nonbinary character identifies to the guy who's looking after them, and give them a hug - although with the caveat that it would be really nice to see a trans relationship in a mainstream production that's NOT tragic. Also it looks fantastic. Also, Tilly.
Yeah Picard was just...a missed opportunity for me. Patrick Stewart, bless him, but he's just not as commanding and forceful as he once was. And that's okay. They could've made a very different show based around that. At time perhaps they did lean into it (especially in season 2). But the dissonance between the character study of a frail, ageing captain and the show trying to trick you into thinking it was a modern high-stakes tension filled blockbuster was just too jarring. They tried to make it seem like all this stuff was going on, but mostly it's just people sitting in rooms and the camera panning dramatically around a slightly sleepy Jean Luc. It did have a beautiful scene at the end though so, it gets some points for that.

Discovery 1-3 was just so, so wrong. Everything was dark, everyone was angry or emotional like *all* the time. It felt like someone gave a ship to a bunch of kids that hate each other and we're supposed to just be like "yup, that's Starfleet!". SNW is so welcome in that sense; everyone feels competent, duty bound. One of my favourite things about TNG/DS9/VOY was that comforting sense of dependability you got from the crew. The captains were always like mother/father figures to their crew/family. Which made episodes where something disrupted that (like nobody being able to dream, or being telepathically controlled) more exciting because they were out of character.

Season 4...definitely found its feet for me. By the end, I really had warmed to the crew, and even to Michael. And they definitely went more sci-fi than at any point in the previous 3 seasons. Also totally feel you on the representation. It was just so disappointing that the one time Trek goes all out on spotlighting a queer crew, it does so with AWFUL plots and writing that critics invariably attribute to 'wokeness' rather than, ya know, just poor writing. I think/hope season 5 will really soar though. I was excited for it by the end.

Damn, sorry. Fast typer haha.

mimidancer

10 May 2022

Theo.M wrote:
01 Jun 2015
Thought this could be a fun topic not about Reason!

For me currently it's orphan black on netflix for me - and although it's characters can be difficult to love, that actress is just phenomenal playing so many different parts and it's a pretty unique series. 

Before that watched all 5 seasons of stargate atlantis during the months i was sick.. basically an ep or two daily.. and i LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! (totally felt for the characters like they were all my friends, and that's when i know a show has really managed to draw me in).

Had never watched any stargate series before, only the movie back when, and now looking forward to finding more!
Watching season 2 of Tehran. so good.

dvdrtldg

12 May 2022

motuscott wrote:
23 Mar 2022
I don't know why The Thick of It isn't better known, it's at least as good as something like The Office

Especially the first two seasons with Chris Langham, it's a real shame what happened with that guy

selig
RE Developer

13 May 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 May 2022
rorystorm wrote:
06 May 2022

Yeah Picard was just...a missed opportunity for me. Patrick Stewart, bless him, but he's just not as commanding and forceful as he once was. And that's okay. They could've made a very different show based around that. At time perhaps they did lean into it (especially in season 2). But the dissonance between the character study of a frail, ageing captain and the show trying to trick you into thinking it was a modern high-stakes tension filled blockbuster was just too jarring. They tried to make it seem like all this stuff was going on, but mostly it's just people sitting in rooms and the camera panning dramatically around a slightly sleepy Jean Luc. It did have a beautiful scene at the end though so, it gets some points for that.

Discovery 1-3 was just so, so wrong. Everything was dark, everyone was angry or emotional like *all* the time. It felt like someone gave a ship to a bunch of kids that hate each other and we're supposed to just be like "yup, that's Starfleet!". SNW is so welcome in that sense; everyone feels competent, duty bound. One of my favourite things about TNG/DS9/VOY was that comforting sense of dependability you got from the crew. The captains were always like mother/father figures to their crew/family. Which made episodes where something disrupted that (like nobody being able to dream, or being telepathically controlled) more exciting because they were out of character.

Season 4...definitely found its feet for me. By the end, I really had warmed to the crew, and even to Michael. And they definitely went more sci-fi than at any point in the previous 3 seasons. Also totally feel you on the representation. It was just so disappointing that the one time Trek goes all out on spotlighting a queer crew, it does so with AWFUL plots and writing that critics invariably attribute to 'wokeness' rather than, ya know, just poor writing. I think/hope season 5 will really soar though. I was excited for it by the end.

Damn, sorry. Fast typer haha.
I guess I’m a sucker, but I’m loving all of Discovery, Picard, and of course the new Star Trek (only have seen two episodes so far). They all have their own feel/space (!) but work together just fine for me. But I can just about forgive/enjoy ANYTHING with Patrick Stewart in it… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

17 May 2022

There is finally a new Underbelly (Australian true crime series) - Underbelly Vanishing Act. It's on par with the rest of them.

rorystorm

18 May 2022

I just started watching the marvelous mrs Maisel. Its excellent.

rorystorm

03 Jun 2022

a documentary about punk bands touring the US. It's excellent, the best thing I've seen in ages. And really makes me miss my old life.

DJMaytag

11 Jun 2022

Season 3 of “For All Mankind” kicked off yesterday on AppleTV+. Ted Lasso might be the most popular show on ATV+, but For All Mankind might easily be the best all around show. The first episode jumped right into the thick of the drama, instead of waiting for things to really get moving like it did in season 2.

littlejam

13 Jun 2022

hello,

just found out about 'for all mankind'
gonna try to check that out

post malone is doing media skits for his new album

here is post malone 'day drinking' with seth meyers
i've never really been interested in seth meyers until now

post malone's new album is prettypretty goodgood if you like rap / hiphop

he also just showed up on 'hot ones' for the 2nd time
hilarious and honest at the same time

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

rorystorm

25 Jun 2022

Its a little bit of a cliche, but I just rewatched Synth Britannia. Interesting how well the earlier more experimental lo fi stuff from the late 70s has aged compared to the early 80s music which was glossier and more technically accomplished. Also, Gary Numan is so great.

bxbrkrz

26 Jun 2022

Thank you random YT suggestion :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

rorystorm

31 Jul 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 May 2022
Finally got around to watching Strange New Worlds, and its great! Corny af, really funny, looks fantastic, kinda snowflakey and weirdly moving in places. Just my cup of tea.

Dabbler

31 Jul 2022

been re-watching The Americans. Great series and seemingly timely with the news about spies in Hawaii now.

• Information