Roadmap Update (21 March 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Hoboys
Banned user
Posts: 158
Joined: 19 Oct 2021
Location: Kyiv

Post 23 Mar 2022

Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
22 Mar 2022
That's uplifting in a way. At least someone up in Propellerhead Valhalla acknowledged that the sequencer requests exist and have been heard.
That's as close as we've been for a while. Since x-fade really.
"However, do not expect too much DAW workflow development during 2022"

So if there is a ver. 13 this fall, these improvements will not be seen before ver. 14 or 15.
I don't see how DAW development and VST3 implementation should be separate processes. Maybe ditch the effects and players development, and the sound packs that nobody asked for? 3rd party developers have that covered anyway and they need to eat too, especially since RS bent them over with R+ and "the shop" situation.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2325
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 23 Mar 2022

Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
22 Mar 2022
That's uplifting in a way. At least someone up in Propellerhead Valhalla acknowledged that the sequencer requests exist and have been heard.
That's as close as we've been for a while. Since x-fade really.
"However, do not expect too much DAW workflow development during 2022"

So if there is a ver. 13 this fall, these improvements will not be seen before ver. 14 or 15.
Well, yeah but they could release three versions a month. That’s just numbers. There could be major point updates. Whatever. I’m not expecting sequencer overhaulage till like autumn 2023 at this point. Earliest.
So, may as well just get on w making music and not thinking too much about what the unaffordable competition is getting up to!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
Eprom
Posts: 98
Joined: 24 Sep 2017

Post 23 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022


"However, do not expect too much DAW workflow development during 2022"

So if there is a ver. 13 this fall, these improvements will not be seen before ver. 14 or 15.
Well, yeah but they could release three versions a month. That’s just numbers
My point is that they clearly state that there is little or no workflow DEVELOPMENT in 2022. So that means that they will work on it in 2023 the earliest and development will not be a simple job done in "a few months"
Long story short, Don't hold your breath. :-(
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

[Mac Mini M1/Macbook Pro M1/MacOS 12.4 - Reason 12]

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2325
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 23 Mar 2022

Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
23 Mar 2022


Well, yeah but they could release three versions a month. That’s just numbers
My point is that they clearly state that there is little or no workflow DEVELOPMENT in 2022. So that means that they will work on it in 2023 the earliest and development will not be a simple job done in "a few months"
Long story short, Don't hold your breath. :-(
I’m not.
See that icon? I tend to take air w me.
😎
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

whitewolfmusic
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Sep 2021

Post 23 Mar 2022

Since VST3 also means potential performance benefits from the plugin nap functionality, it's a good call to prioritize it. Also, delaying the native M1 support is no big deal, since Rosetta 2 is a competent and working solution in the meantime. However, I get the impression that the development of Reason overall has slowed down significantly over the years and new releases tend to have more issues than a few years ago. Sigh.
At least give us a few more color themes to put some lipstick on this pig of a flat UI in the meantime.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2076
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 23 Mar 2022

Hoboys wrote:
23 Mar 2022
I don't see how DAW development and VST3 implementation should be separate processes. Maybe ditch the effects and players development, and the sound packs that nobody asked for? 3rd party developers have that covered anyway and they need to eat too, especially since RS bent them over with R+ and "the shop" situation.
All of your examples seem to be outsourced to 3rd party devs already, so nothing to gain here wrt DAW development. The hand full of Reason core developers now have to focus on VST3 implementation and further bugfixes/optimisation and only after this can start to work on new features for the sequencer or Reason core, it seems.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7779
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 23 Mar 2022

Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022
"However, do not expect too much DAW workflow development during 2022"

So if there is a ver. 13 this fall, these improvements will not be seen before ver. 14 or 15.
Nah, they could easily do point releases during the 13.x run and add a plethora (by RS standards) of core DAW improvements over its life. As pointed out, version 11.x probably had some of the most core DAW improvements added in Reason's entire run.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

whitewolfmusic
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Sep 2021

Post 23 Mar 2022

Also, how hard is it to make the devices have a unified width? It has been pointed out in the forums already and the rack still looks like the nightmare of any professional UI designer.

Abstände.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Eprom
Posts: 98
Joined: 24 Sep 2017

Post 23 Mar 2022

whitewolfmusic wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Also, how hard is it to make the devices have a unified width? It has been pointed out in the forums already and the rack still looks like the nightmare of any professional UI designer.


Abstände.png
They get payed per pixel. It's just another way RS saves on costs. ;-)
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

[Mac Mini M1/Macbook Pro M1/MacOS 12.4 - Reason 12]

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 480
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 23 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Eprom wrote:
23 Mar 2022
"However, do not expect too much DAW workflow development during 2022"

So if there is a ver. 13 this fall, these improvements will not be seen before ver. 14 or 15.
Nah, they could easily do point releases during the 13.x run and add a plethora (by RS standards) of core DAW improvements over its life. As pointed out, version 11.x probably had some of the most core DAW improvements added in Reason's entire run.
This is so maddeningly frustrating. I cannot f@cking believe they're just leaving us hanging like this. I loved Reason but now I just feel "stuck" dealing with the sequencer/workflow limitations. Studio 1 is miles ahead in this department and if I wasn't in so deep in the middle of an album I would have ditched it by now. I can't believe how slow they are to improve things here. I love the rack and mixer and how well it's all integrated but COME ON GUYS. FFS.

Soxious808
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 May 2021

Post 28 Mar 2022

Interesting interview with the CEO,

https://speakhertz.com/13811/reason-stu ... agevik-ceo

Anyone know what type of new instrument he’s talking about?!

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9771
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Mar 2022

Soxious808 wrote:
28 Mar 2022
Interesting interview with the CEO,

https://speakhertz.com/13811/reason-stu ... agevik-ceo

Anyone know what type of new instrument he’s talking about?!
Well that interview was from last month, so it could mean anything. It could also have been edited or taken out of context?

This roadmap we have from just last week says this:
New Effect
We are towards the end of our development of an exciting new creative Effect planned for release during April. Expect a modern take on a classic Effect, with quite a few new twists! We think you’ll really like this one.

New Device
We plan to release several devices this year and our hypothesis is to have another device released during June. Hot candidates currently in the design stage are a Player and a creative Effect. The Player presented as a design concept internally at the Reason office last week is certainly both creative, fun, and practical.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4747
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 28 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2022
So they're completely ignoring improvements to the daw itself and state don't expect anything this year. 🤔
We don’t actually know of they are completely ignoring it or working on it behind the scenes.
In any event, I would compare the current situation to doing s renovation on a house and dealing with changing foundational components - you don’t want to start adding additions to the building until the current foundational issues are resolved. Yes, I've been watching too many home reno TV shows lately…
:lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.61 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Soxious808
Posts: 10
Joined: 18 May 2021

Post 28 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
28 Mar 2022
Soxious808 wrote:
28 Mar 2022
Interesting interview with the CEO,

https://speakhertz.com/13811/reason-stu ... agevik-ceo

Anyone know what type of new instrument he’s talking about?!
Well that interview was from last month, so it could mean anything. It could also have been edited or taken out of context?

This roadmap we have from just last week says this:
New Effect
We are towards the end of our development of an exciting new creative Effect planned for release during April. Expect a modern take on a classic Effect, with quite a few new twists! We think you’ll really like this one.

New Device
We plan to release several devices this year and our hypothesis is to have another device released during June. Hot candidates currently in the design stage are a Player and a creative Effect. The Player presented as a design concept internally at the Reason office last week is certainly both creative, fun, and practical.
Shame would be interesting to see what instrument they’d think of next but guess it makes sense to prioritise especially players, still one of reasons usp’s for me

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2992
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 29 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Steedus wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Planning on upgrading to a Mac Studio near the end is the year so hopefully native Mac support comes through.
I'm in the same boat, looking at the Mac Studio especially if there is no new iMac 27". As it is, Reason shouldn't run any slower with the Mac Studio in Rosetta than it does on your current computer, but once it is optimized for M1 it's going to be a whole new experience!
I am also considering the Mac studio... I've never owned any Apple products but this thing seems like the right upgrade in terms of power and cost. with a processor double the score of my current one, way more ram, but more energy efficient and the fact that it is virtually silent! (My laptop measures 40 to 60 dB SPL when the fans kick in, and not even at maximum speed 🤦‍♂️)

How long should a Mac computer like that last for? As the lifetime of the unit is also a huge part of the equation for me investing over 2k (for some reason, the base model sells for the equivalent of 2450 USD here 😭)
The latest release:

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3223
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Mar 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Mar 2022

How long should a Mac computer like that last for? As the lifetime of the unit is also a huge part of the equation for me investing over 2k (for some reason, the base model sells for the equivalent of 2450 USD here 😭)
Macs tend to last pretty long. Long past their support years. I used a 2006 Mac Pro until 2018 when I bought a Mac mini. My 2010 MacBook Pro still works well barring needing a new battery.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2992
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 29 Mar 2022

QVprod wrote:
29 Mar 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Mar 2022

How long should a Mac computer like that last for? As the lifetime of the unit is also a huge part of the equation for me investing over 2k (for some reason, the base model sells for the equivalent of 2450 USD here 😭)
Macs tend to last pretty long. Long past their support years. I used a 2006 Mac Pro until 2018 when I bought a Mac mini. My 2010 MacBook Pro still works well barring needing a new battery.
That means they are a better, lower, investment than Windows machines 🤔 and the noise... I'm tempted!!!!
The latest release:

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2274
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 29 Mar 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Mar 2022
That means they are a better, lower, investment than Windows machines 🤔 and the noise... I'm tempted!!!!
Bwa ha ha :D

My Windows machine is $500 and I upgrade it generally once per decade.

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 476
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 29 Mar 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Mar 2022
selig wrote:
22 Mar 2022

I'm in the same boat, looking at the Mac Studio especially if there is no new iMac 27". As it is, Reason shouldn't run any slower with the Mac Studio in Rosetta than it does on your current computer, but once it is optimized for M1 it's going to be a whole new experience!
I am also considering the Mac studio... I've never owned any Apple products but this thing seems like the right upgrade in terms of power and cost. with a processor double the score of my current one, way more ram, but more energy efficient and the fact that it is virtually silent! (My laptop measures 40 to 60 dB SPL when the fans kick in, and not even at maximum speed 🤦‍♂️)

How long should a Mac computer like that last for? As the lifetime of the unit is also a huge part of the equation for me investing over 2k (for some reason, the base model sells for the equivalent of 2450 USD here 😭)
I have the M1 Ultra and although not silent, it's whisper quiet. I've tried pushing all 20 CPU cores to 100% utilization for 20-30 continuous minutes and the SoC never exceeded 58° or increased the fan speed beyond 1300rpm idle. The cooling system seems massively overspecced, but the overhead does give me piece of mind with system longevity. At 3x the performance of my previous i9 27” iMac and with much better I/O, I fully expect this to last me 5+ years. All M1 systems should see ongoing performance improvements as both Apple and 3rd party devs further optimize their software.
Last edited by tronam on 05 Apr 2022, edited 2 times in total.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2325
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 30 Mar 2022

QVprod wrote:
29 Mar 2022
Macs tend to last pretty long. Long past their support years...
Tell me about it. 2012 13" MBP.
It can still lift heavy projects but the graphics get choppy if I'm really caning it.
I don't mind this but I do mind the fact that Catalina is the last OS I can run so the count down has begun.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Yonatan
Posts: 1440
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 31 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
30 Mar 2022
QVprod wrote:
29 Mar 2022
Macs tend to last pretty long. Long past their support years...
Tell me about it. 2012 13" MBP.
It can still lift heavy projects but the graphics get choppy if I'm really caning it.
I don't mind this but I do mind the fact that Catalina is the last OS I can run so the count down has begun.
Same boat here, 2012. 10 years…
Looking at the new Mac beasts…but will still wait a bit until things get sorted out with Reason M1 native support, VST3 etc.
When it is a must, I will upgrade.
Hey, after WWIII and peace ☮️ On earth 🌎

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2325
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 31 Mar 2022

Yonatan wrote:
31 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
30 Mar 2022


Tell me about it. 2012 13" MBP.
It can still lift heavy projects but the graphics get choppy if I'm really caning it.
I don't mind this but I do mind the fact that Catalina is the last OS I can run so the count down has begun.
Same boat here, 2012. 10 years…
Looking at the new Mac beasts…but will still wait a bit until things get sorted out with Reason M1 native support, VST3 etc.
When it is a must, I will upgrade.
Hey, after WWIII and peace ☮️ On earth 🌎
I kinda wanna get in there in case it really does go ww3. Might be my last comp for a while. I wanna go into the storm packin!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2274
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 31 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
31 Mar 2022
Yonatan wrote:
31 Mar 2022


Same boat here, 2012. 10 years…
Looking at the new Mac beasts…but will still wait a bit until things get sorted out with Reason M1 native support, VST3 etc.
When it is a must, I will upgrade.
Hey, after WWIII and peace ☮️ On earth 🌎
I kinda wanna get in there in case it really does go ww3. Might be my last comp for a while. I wanna go into the storm packin!
It won't go ww3, just cw2. Yet there may be problems with electronic components due to interruptions in raw materials, or if Taiwan changes sides.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 10012
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 31 Mar 2022

Please no political discussions or statements. Thanks for your understanding.
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
illlumen
Posts: 49
Joined: 23 Oct 2018
Location: Germany

Post 04 Apr 2022

Jagwah wrote:
22 Mar 2022
ProfessaKaos wrote:
22 Mar 2022
In all honesty I don't really care for the development of Reason as in stuff added, I just want the program to be bug free and to work seamlessly.
It's still smooth sailing here on reason 10.

As for the pushing back of sequencer upgrades I have been let down with that so many times over so many years it barely even registers with me anymore, just more of the same, again and again.

I hate being so negative and critical of Props, but gees Louise.
To me you're not negative. Just realistic. A natural reaction would be: Getting sad or angry. Doesn't change the fact that it's annoying. I am in a similar situation: Still on R10 which works fine. After all those roadmaps and CEO announcements I got caught up thinking that there could really be something "big" coming, some updates that may be worth the money for me, serious sequencer and workflow improvements... but still: All I can see is more instruments, more devices, which I don't need.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: doze and 3 guests