Roadmap Update (21 March 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2022

A new Roadmap, this time with a little more abstract timeframes.

It appears that M1 has been pushed out and we should not expect DAW workflow / sequencer improvements this year.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/being-pr ... riorities/
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

21 Mar 2022

The focus on VST3 seems logical to me. With Steinberg very aggressively phasing out the VST-2 SDK, almost all new VST plugins and updates to older VST plugins are exclusively VST3. Having only VST-2 support might soon become synonymous for no VST-support. From my perspective, this is already the case.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

honeyBadger

21 Mar 2022

And VST3 support would be a DAW only improvement which shows their intent to continue improving the DAW and not just the RRP. I’d prefer sequencer/workflow improvements to take priority but can understand why others would like to see VST3 first.

stm.mitchell

21 Mar 2022

M1 pushed back again?! :thumbs_down:

EnochLight

21 Mar 2022

Totally fine with M1 support being pushed back if they focus on getting VST3 support in Reason standalone right. That said, I don't use a Mac, so... :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Mar 2022

stm.mitchell wrote:
21 Mar 2022
M1 pushed back again?! :thumbs_down:
I heard something about Rozetta, so it works for Reason doesn't it?

Creativemind

21 Mar 2022

So they're completely ignoring improvements to the daw itself and state don't expect anything this year. 🤔

If Reason Studio's read this thread and they say they're looking into how to improve the Rack Plug-In for one, then you could add using VST 3 when it eventually gets released in the RRP so people can use it in Combinator patches and allow real time sampling somehow into Reason stock devices (NN-19, NN-XT, Grain, Mimic etc).
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

honeyBadger

21 Mar 2022

Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2022
So they're completely ignoring improvements to the daw itself and state don't expect anything this year. 🤔

If Reason Studio's read this thread and they say they're looking into how to improve the Rack Plug-In for one, then you could add using VST 3 when it eventually gets released in the RRP so people can use it in Combinator patches and allow real time sampling somehow into Reason stock devices (NN-19, NN-XT, Grain, Mimic etc).
Isn’t VST3 support an improvement to the DAW though? So they’re not completely ignoring it.

Creativemind

21 Mar 2022

honeyBadger wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2022

Isn’t VST3 support an improvement to the DAW though? So they’re not completely ignoring it.
Technically yes but doesn't address any of the long awaited missing midi editing or sequencer improvements.

Screenshot_20220321-153411_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220321-153411_Samsung Internet.jpg (400.16 KiB) Viewed 48017 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Arrant
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2022

I agree VST3 should be the most immediate focus, as mentioned it is a DAW update and the most pressing one IMO.

Kilsane

21 Mar 2022

The new roadmap has the merit of being clear and I understand the priority of the vst3 format, I would wait a little longer for M1 support

fullforce

21 Mar 2022

Arrant wrote:
21 Mar 2022
I agree VST3 should be the most immediate focus, as mentioned it is a DAW update and the most pressing one IMO.
Yep, it makes sense. However, it's quite jarring that they aren't able to do any significant upgrades all around. How many people work there in programming? 3?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

manisnotabird

21 Mar 2022

Have they ever clarified if any of the new effects/devices/players are going to be free? They've certainly included new free devices on point upgrades in the past.

DaveyG

21 Mar 2022

manisnotabird wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Have they ever clarified if any of the new effects/devices/players are going to be free? They've certainly included new free devices on point upgrades in the past.
I think they may have a different mindset these days$$$.

EnochLight

21 Mar 2022

manisnotabird wrote:
21 Mar 2022
They will never be free to perpetual license owners anymore - you'll have to buy it separately. If you're a R+ subscriber, then any/all Reason Studios branded devices are included in the sub (future and past). Now when/if we see Reason 13, I'm sure they'll include a new device or two for perpetual license holders (just like they did for R12 with Mimic).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jam-s

21 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2022
They will never be free to perpetual license owners anymore - you'll have to buy it separately. If you're a R+ subscriber, then any/all Reason Studios branded devices are included in the sub (future and past). Now when/if we see Reason 13, I'm sure they'll include a new device or two for perpetual license holders (just like they did for R12 with Mimic).
I agree with your prediction, but there's also the possibility that they might bundle an older RE that has reached its end of sell-ability (= market for it is saturated) with the R13 perpetual license (like they did with radical pianos). A strong candidate for this in my opinion would be pattern mutator.

moalla

21 Mar 2022

So M1 isn´t that important for most users, also when m1 cheaper macbooks are quiet interesting. But the thing in 2022 when comes VST3 and are they able to give us small but important functions like fade in fade out instruments directly by the sequencer as automation related to the fader channel without these right click add, draw draw.., or automated new alt takes in looprecording midi or also audio , that´s important for my working performance and all of us how are using reason as DAW. M1 Macbooks are to expensive in better equipped my opinion,

........"but well for rich boys and girls M1 support, that´s a important thing, when they look for a new toy for the next minutes sarcasm off"....

So if there is a small team (accepted 3 persons), how are working on new devices VST3 support..., than 1 programmer could looking for the small improvments,
that looks like corporate culture, so the customer especial the long time customer are king, everything else is pointless!

But really nice they are looking to fix R12 that a working release is insight :clap:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

jlgrimes

21 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2022
manisnotabird wrote:
21 Mar 2022
It probably depends on the device.

An instrument or effect would most likely be a price but new utility devices might be free and then even I'm thinking they still might weigh in options of keeping existing users happy.

But most likely new devices would be introduced probably at some sale even.

I would be happy though if they just started improving existing devices and charge if they are major improvements.

But I don't mind paying for new devices personally as I can buy what interest me or even wait for deals or major releases but yeah I wouldn't generally expect free new devices.

huggermugger

21 Mar 2022

The roadmap needs a roadmap.

EnochLight

22 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
21 Mar 2022
manisnotabird wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Well, then there's this…

viewtopic.php?p=600649#p600649

ProfessaKaos

22 Mar 2022

In all honesty I don't really care for the development of Reason as in stuff added, I just want the program to be bug free and to work seamlessly.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

ProfessaKaos wrote:
22 Mar 2022
In all honesty I don't really care for the development of Reason as in stuff added, I just want the program to be bug free and to work seamlessly.
Yep.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Pepin

22 Mar 2022

Interesting that the previous roadmap said M1 and VST3 would be released together for some technical reasons.
And now M1 alone is being pushed back.

But whatever the case, the priorities seems sensible, even if the timeline isn't ideal.

selig
RE Developer

22 Mar 2022

Creativemind wrote:
21 Mar 2022
We don’t actually know of they are completely ignoring it or working on it behind the scenes.
In any event, I would compare the current situation to doing s renovation on a house and dealing with changing foundational components - you don’t want to start adding additions to the building until the current foundational issues are resolved. Yes, I've been watching too many home reno TV shows lately…
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

22 Mar 2022

That's uplifting in a way. At least someone up in Propellerhead Valhalla acknowledged that the sequencer requests exist and have been heard.
That's as close as we've been for a while. Since x-fade really.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information