Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mimidancer

17 Mar 2022

deeplink wrote:
17 Mar 2022
mimidancer wrote:
17 Mar 2022
VST3? Any news?
At the time of this writing, it's still set for May. As per the roadmap
Thank you so much for the timely response. I had in my head the Road Map said January. I will look at it again. I love reason. I have several VST3s I am using in Bluecat. I am looking forward to skinning the cat.

joeyluck

17 Mar 2022

mimidancer wrote:
17 Mar 2022
deeplink wrote:
17 Mar 2022

At the time of this writing, it's still set for May. As per the roadmap
Thank you so much for the timely response. I had in my head the Road Map said January. I will look at it again. I love reason. I have several VST3s I am using in Bluecat. I am looking forward to skinning the cat.
That was the original roadmap from September. They updated it in November and said it had been pushed back to May.

EnochLight

17 Mar 2022

All I know is that Robotic Beans fantastic new Portatron Tape plugin is only available in VST3, and for the first time ever - Reason (standalone) presents a massive issue. Hoping VST3 implementation isn't as gimped as their VST2 support.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

17 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2022
All I know is that Robotic Beans fantastic new Portatron Tape plugin is only available in VST3, and for the first time ever - Reason (standalone) presents a massive issue. Hoping VST3 implementation isn't as gimped as their VST2 support.
"for the first time ever"? :lol:

EnochLight

17 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
17 Mar 2022
EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2022
Sorry, for the first time ever FOR ME.. :lol: I don't have any VST that don't offer VST 2 versions as well - Robotic Bean is the first I'd be interested in that only does VST 3. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

17 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2022
joeyluck wrote:
17 Mar 2022

Sorry, for the first time ever FOR ME.. :lol: I don't have any VST that don't offer VST 2 versions as well - Robotic Bean is the first I'd be interested in that only does VST 3. :(
Lol I figured that's what you meant :D

There are many plugins on my list that aren't available as VST2.

DaveyG

17 Mar 2022

For any VST I own that comes in VST2 and VST3 I only install the VST3 now. Reason is mostly a plugin for me so it makes sense.

mimidancer

17 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2022

Bluecat VST3 host works well in Reason. But I agree we deserve VST3.

Jagwah

20 Mar 2022

Well there we have it, VST3 support can now take priority. Props can spend the next five years slowly getting their VST3 implementation to match the standard of other DAWs while intermittently releasing rack devices, there's your updated roadmap.

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
12 Feb 2022
We already seen how RS had went back on their promise of an updated browser, so I wouldnt expect them to quickly implement a very different CPU architecture change. .
Let’s not confuse a road map, which we have all wanted for years, with a ‘promise’, which was never made.
I just don’t want the folks at RS to get the wrong message and stop sharing their plans.
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

20 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
17 Mar 2022
mimidancer wrote:
17 Mar 2022

That was the original roadmap from September. They updated it in November and said it had been pushed back to May.
They need a roadmap for the roadmap.

flexluthor

20 Mar 2022

This is pretty funny. Reason getting pooped on in a MacBook Pro video. Final analysis: Moving to Ableton Live.

Chi-Individual

21 Mar 2022

flexluthor wrote:
20 Mar 2022

This is pretty funny. Reason getting pooped on in a MacBook Pro video. Final analysis: Moving to Ableton Live.
Funny thing after watching this is I've had the same issue with mine but only with files created on my 2015 MBP. All files that I have created new on my M1, R11 Suite and R12, can run almost entirely on 128samples, no matter how many synths or fx are added. So hopefully there is light on this issue soon.

Liimusic

21 Mar 2022

Im hoping to see in 12.5:

- browser 2.0
- new Effekt
- M1 Support
- VST3 and updated sidechain routing
- and some love for the sequencer.

bossa
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2022

And I would like to finally have the possibility - as with Sibelius or LogicPro - to assign all functions to their own keyboard shortcuts, e.g. Solo/Mute, etc.

LittleBoy

22 Mar 2022

They promised VST3 support for December 2021. Yesterday, March 21, 2022, they post this on their blog: "The work on supporting VST3 in Reason has now started and is our top priority initiative".

And that's not to mention that support for M1 is also delayed, that they've hardly made improvements to the DAW in years, and that they intend to charge €200 for ridiculous updates.

I'm already completely tired. I was only with Reason for years because I love it, and I've been with Reason and Logic for a few months because there were more and more instruments and effects that I couldn't use due to the lack of VST3 support. But on Sunday I have formatted the computer and I have only installed Logic.

And it is clear that I was right, because once again they break their promise with VST3 support, and this is not going to get better. With what I liked Reason and Propellerhead, and what they have become.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
22 Mar 2022
And it is clear that I was right, because once again they break their promise with VST3 support, and this is not going to get better. With what I liked Reason and Propellerhead, and what they have become.
They had to address a showstopping bug.

This happens in software development. Major changes (like moving to GPU accelerated rendering of a high-DPI raster UI with OS and user scaling) along with any code overhauls can bring up elusive bugs.

Go see the war stories from developers on Reddit, Stack Overflow or Quora - they'll tell you how sometimes it's taken months or even years to track down an elusive bug (which sometimes required little more than a few lines of code changes).

This isn't "taking their side", or anything like that. It's being clear on what exactly has happened.

The same thing happened with the XP Service Pack which was delayed so much it was released years later as the next version of the OS (Vista). Software development can be tremendously complex. That's all that's happening here.

Massive change and overhaul = increased potential for unexpected delays for unknowable periods of time.

They've not all of a sudden lost their prior ability to develop software. It's just that changes like this don't happen often (and they made a massive faux pas by releasing it too early). Testing can only catch so much (unless you have a budget for hundreds of thousands of testers to find those rare bugs that happen on a few machines but is otherwise fine for others). Bonus points if the bug can't be easily reproduced with the same hardware.
Last edited by avasopht on 22 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBoy

22 Mar 2022

The reason doesn't matter to me. I've been with Reason since 2001, and it hurts my soul. But it's been too many years asking for improvements that don't come (they've had years to implement VST3), and they preferred to develop a plugin (it seems good to me) at the cost of almost abandoning the users who took them where they were.

They chose. I do it too, because I'm tired of it.

EnochLight

22 Mar 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
22 Mar 2022
They promised VST3 support for December 2021.
No, they did NOT promise. It was literally written in the roadmap (every roadmap they publically shared) that it was a plan, not a promise. Plans change. I'd rather they had focused on fixing the performance and stability issues first, which is exactly what they did.
LittleBoy wrote:
22 Mar 2022
The reason doesn't matter to me. I've been with Reason since 2001, and it hurts my soul. But it's been too many years asking for improvements that don't come (they've had years to implement VST3), and they preferred to develop a plugin (it seems good to me) at the cost of almost abandoning the users who took them where they were.

I've been aboard since the Rebirth days, so prior to 2001. ;) :thumbup: Good to see another longtime user here. But it's not like there is any shortage of options out there - I picked up Ableton Live 11 Suite during the sales last year. I'll still use Reason, but I also use Live for the things Reason can't do. There's no shame in that. Use what works for you.

crimsonwarlock

22 Mar 2022

It's incredible that when someone say they are planning to do something, people tend to react with “so that's a promise then”. I'm actually confronted by this strange bias on an almost daily basis in my own work. In my case, I actually own a crystal ball, but its batteries have run out, so it isn't working anymore.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
22 Mar 2022

Maschine doesn't support VST3 yet either - and they've been supporting VST for a very long time. Some things take time. You can't have everything at once. VST3 support years ago might have meant lots of other features are held back (and then you would be complaining that "they spent all this time doing VST3 and abandoning their long term users" etc)

Not sure how developing a plugin means abandoning their users. That doesn't make any logical sense.

FLStudio runs as a plugin. Maschine runs as a plugin. Lots of things also run as a plugin.

I'm not sure if you know this, but turning an application into a VST plugin isn't some gargantuan task. Their software is cross-platform, and in order to support multiple platforms (which includes the changing OSX platforms and CPUs, etc.) means they will have a codebase that can be turned into a plugin without a major back-breaking effort. I've done ports to entirely new platforms with vastly different graphics APIs in a matter of days (I've seen it done in a single afternoon).

It's easy to construct mental images of what one thing means (like offering RRP) that have no real basis in reality.

• Information