filmscore libs

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
jobel

14 Mar 2022

hi, I'm just getting back into film scoring. Can anyone recommend good libs for Reason? I really like using Reason but just haven't been able to achieve the same compared to RMX/Omnisphere and some of the Kontakt stuff I used to use. Any recommendation would be a great help thanks!

jam-s

14 Mar 2022

Reason supports VSTs, so you could use the Kontakt stuff you used to use.

DaveyG

14 Mar 2022

jobel wrote:
14 Mar 2022
hi, I'm just getting back into film scoring. Can anyone recommend good libs for Reason? I really like using Reason but just haven't been able to achieve the same compared to RMX/Omnisphere and some of the Kontakt stuff I used to use. Any recommendation would be a great help thanks!
TBH Reason is less than ideal for scoring to picture. It can be done but you'd be much better off using something like Cubase or Studio One as the main DAW and using Reason as a plugin. Best of both worlds.

jobel

14 Mar 2022

it was all on my old Mac so I don't know if I can import any of that. will look into it thanks..

jobel

14 Mar 2022

thanks DaveyG, not really scoring to picture with sync points or anything... I'm more just referring to the quality and types of instruments.. i.e. not doing dance stuff, I need more textural stuff and emotional.

crimsonwarlock

15 Mar 2022

There is quite a lot of cinematic and ambient stuff available in Reason. Grain, Europa and of course Scenic come to mind. Expanse, Nostromo and Vecto are also instant moving pad machines (just to name a few). There are many textural refills available as well.

Don't forget that synthesizers have played a big role in cinematic music (and still do). So, any synth can be used for that. I suggest you look at some videos on cinematic scoring to give you some ideas as to what to look for.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2022

jobel wrote:
14 Mar 2022
thanks DaveyG, not really scoring to picture with sync points or anything... I'm more just referring to the quality and types of instruments.. i.e. not doing dance stuff, I need more textural stuff and emotional.
As a long time Komplete user, i was overjoyed to be able to use it in Reason, especially for the stuff you mention.
Selig Audio, LLC

jobel

15 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
15 Mar 2022
As a long time Komplete user, i was overjoyed to be able to use it in Reason, especially for the stuff you mention.
excellent! so can you point me to some good textural loops for DrRex and moody patches for that combine analog/digital/organic sounds?

MattLeschuck

15 Mar 2022

Ambient Drums Xpansion and Celluloid Beats are both good refills for this (both pretty old, but still fun). They are more on the percussive side but good for film type stuff. Both by Nucleus SoundLab.

One synth outside Reason that is REALLY good for textural evolving drone type pads is DS Thorn. You can often get it for really cheap when PA has a sale on it. The reason i mention it is that i find it really fast to get these type of sounds out of it. I have more happy accidents with that synth than any other i own.

jobel

16 Mar 2022

can anyone recommend any refills that are more like cinematic percussive instruments? I can just play-in all the stuff I need if I have decent dynamic layers...

jobel

16 Mar 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
15 Mar 2022
Ambient Drums Xpansion and Celluloid Beats are both good refills for this (both pretty old, but still fun). They are more on the percussive side but good for film type stuff. Both by Nucleus SoundLab.
thanks, those are decent.

Gosh

16 Mar 2022

I can recommend the rack extensions and refills of SKP Sound Design
https://www.skpsounds.com/

jobel

17 Mar 2022

@Gosh ooo thanks, some of those are nice! wish there was a way to be notified when they have deals on those.

selig
RE Developer

17 Mar 2022

jobel wrote:
15 Mar 2022
selig wrote:
15 Mar 2022
excellent! so can you point me to some good textural loops for DrRex and moody patches for that combine analog/digital/organic sounds?
Loads of the stuff you get with Komplete are great for this sort of thing. Recent additions include LoFi Glow, Cloud Supply, Imogen Heaps Box of Tricks, Ethereal Earth, and Kinetic Toys & Kinetic Metal to name a few. There's also the old standbys of Evolve/Mutations, Damage, and stuff like Action Strikes, Thrill, and Rise & Hit that despite being targeted at one thing are adaptable to other uses with some manipulation.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information