Free RE Macro Synthesizer Comunity Refill Project

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Loque

18 Feb 2022

Let's create a community refill!

Show your creativity and skills to the community and lets celebrate the new, free and fantastic Macro synthesizer Rack Extension!

For more info on the Macro RE take a look here.

Here are the rules:
  • Use preferred stock or free devices only, regardless if FX, synths, Players or whatever
  • Use R+ stuff with care, since they contain payed devices for some users
  • Use payed RE with care, since it reduces the possible users
  • Use old Combinator if possible, but Combinator2 is ok (feel free to share your backdrops separately)
  • Add samples if neccessary
  • No VSTs
  • Categorize your patches in folders a la BASS, PAD, PLUCK, GUITAR, DRONE, FX, ...
  • Everything you provide (patches, samples, ...) do not violate 3rd party copyright, are royalty free or your own creations and you agree to be used in this community refill patch for free and for everyone free to use. Reselling is prohibited
  • Put your name as a prefix (max 3 chars) at the end like "PAD - My Awsome Stuff - LQ"
I think to keep this open for about 2 months is ok, so everyone can create some patches and contribute.

Have fun!
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

18 Feb 2022

Great idea all around!
Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022
[*]Use old Combinator if possible, but Combinator2 is ok (feel free to share your backdrops separately)
But... I would absolutely prefer Combinator 2 with some customized GUI/UX. Almost feels like it was made for stuff like Macro! ;) :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

FGL

18 Feb 2022

FGL

18 Feb 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Great idea all around!
Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022
[*]Use old Combinator if possible, but Combinator2 is ok (feel free to share your backdrops separately)
But... I would absolutely prefer Combinator 2 with some customized GUI/UX. Almost feels like it was made for stuff like Macro! ;) :thumbup:
Are Backdrops not includet in the saved Combinator File?

Loque

18 Feb 2022

FGL wrote:
18 Feb 2022
EnochLight wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Great idea all around!

Are Backdrops not includet in the saved Combinator File?
Sure they are, but maybe some other can participate on your backdrop graphics. Just provide them if you like.
Reason12, Win10

FGL

18 Feb 2022

So you can change the Devices inside, change parameter, or make some new Knobs on an existing Combinator and you got it.

EnochLight

18 Feb 2022

FGL wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Are Backdrops not included in the saved Combinator File?
Combi 2 can also have customized GUI/UX knob, faders, etc - I'm just saying it would be a much "nicer" experience IMHO. I don't think users should have to build their own if we're making a community refill, which sole purpose is instantaneous inspiration. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

FGL

18 Feb 2022

But it makes sense for a special "Macro" Artwork.

crimsonwarlock

18 Feb 2022

FGL wrote:
18 Feb 2022
So you can change the Devices inside, change parameter, or make some new Knobs on an existing Combinator and you got it.
You can always do that, including loading another backdrop. The one thing you can't do is getting the backdrop out of the combinator to change it. So for that reason, distributing the backdrop as a separate addition is an option.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

18 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022

With R12 I think you can only created Combi 2.

visheshl

18 Feb 2022

Please make two versions of the final refill one which can work with reason 10 and 11 which has only combi 1 patches, and one which is only for r 12.
There are a lot of people here(i think) still using versions 10 and 11 and haven't yet switched to 12.

joeyluck

18 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Please make two versions of the final refill one which can work with reason 10 and 11 which has only combi 1 patches, and one which is only for r 12.
There are a lot of people here(i think) still using versions 10 and 11 and haven't yet switched to 12.
The ReFill I'm sure will have plenty of device patches. The ReFill will still work for everybody and patches created with Combinator 2 just won't be able to be loaded by those not on R12. Combinator 2 isn't just about customizable graphics, but number of controls and source range settings—things not possible in the old Combinator. I think if people create with what version of Reason they are using, there will be plenty for everybody.

visheshl

18 Feb 2022

joeyluck wrote:
18 Feb 2022
visheshl wrote:
18 Feb 2022
The ReFill I'm sure will have plenty of device patches. The ReFill will still work for everybody and patches created with Combinator 2 just won't be able to be loaded by those not on R12. Combinator 2 isn't just about customizable graphics, but number of controls and source range settings—things not possible in the old Combinator. I think if people create with what version of Reason they are using, there will be plenty for everybody.
Yeah this was my concern exactly, like what happens if a particular device used in a patch isn't available on somebody's reason,
So basically the refill and other patches will still be useful.
Cool 👍

Loque

18 Feb 2022

DaveyG wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022

Yep. There is no "compatibility mode". You need R11 or older.
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

18 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022
DaveyG wrote:
18 Feb 2022

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame and they could easily have left the original combinator as it was and added an "advanced combinator" as a new device, although I guess not many R12 users would choose to use the older one given the choice. Of course, a much bigger shame is the fact that the RRP can't use any combi that includes a VST so the current trend of wrapping VSTs up in a Combi 2 has a somewhat reduced audience. Not only do you need R12 but you also have to use the standalone version. I'm still peeved that I have a whole bunch of homemade Combi 1 instruments that I can't use with R11 RRP but I digress (as usual!)

FGL

18 Feb 2022

Made some fast Templates for Macro 2.0 Combi. They should work in all sizes.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mydpk6xumhh9c ... e.zip?dl=0
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.35.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.35.31.png (126.23 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.32.18.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.32.18.png (166.58 KiB) Viewed 2837 times

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Feb 2022

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022
DaveyG wrote:
18 Feb 2022

i think 12 is minimum for saving, I can't open both of your file and the drum one.

I made this with Combinator old style. Hope it works for everybody.
The sub didn't came out really good, maybe smne can fix that?
RE8ET MACRO RANDOMNESS.zip
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by Re8et on 21 Feb 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Let's create a community refill!

Have fun!
Yessss. Tnx!!

Loque

27 Feb 2022

Here is my contribution. For most patches you need R12, because of the Combinator2. Have fun.
Attachments
Macro - Loque.zip
(334.34 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Reason12, Win10

challism

28 Feb 2022

fieldframe wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Here are some official backdrops!

https://presteign.com/downloads/Macro%2 ... kdrops.zip
Not sure if everybody realizes this, but Macro has a MIDI-CV Convert built in! So you can pass incoming mote data through to other devices! That is a totally bad ass feature. It appears to be monophonic. Any chance we can get it turned into polyphonic in a future update? If not, it's cool... I mean, it is a free RE. But it would be even cooler to have this be polyphonic MIDI thru.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (77.22 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

01 Mar 2022

challism wrote:
28 Feb 2022
fieldframe wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Here are some official backdrops!

https://presteign.com/downloads/Macro%2 ... kdrops.zip
Not sure if everybody realizes this, but Macro has a MIDI-CV Convert built in! So you can pass incoming mote data through to other devices! That is a totally bad ass feature. It appears to be monophonic. Any chance we can get it turned into polyphonic in a future update? If not, it's cool... I mean, it is a free RE. But it would be even cooler to have this be polyphonic MIDI thru.
Capture.JPG
There are several other ways to get CV Gate and Note. Check out CVPT, RPG8, Movement, Thor, Europe,...
There are a view RE supporting inoffical PolyCV standard or they can be converted between normal CV and PolyCV.

The problem with Macro is, that not all controls are polyphonic, so using Distributor or CVPT must be a general option...
Reason12, Win10

challism

01 Mar 2022

Loque wrote:
01 Mar 2022
challism wrote:
28 Feb 2022

Capture.JPG
There are several other ways to get CV Gate and Note. Check out CVPT, RPG8, Movement, Thor, Europe,...
There are a view RE supporting inoffical PolyCV standard or they can be converted between normal CV and PolyCV.

The problem with Macro is, that not all controls are polyphonic, so using Distributor or CVPT must be a general option...
Yeah there are alternatives (my personal favorite is LoveOne MIDI CV Converter), just wondering if having this on-board in Macro would be doable, if the dev is even interested in that. Would be nice to have Poly CV out built-in.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

14 Mar 2022

I am experimenting with creating a plucked string (a la Karplus Strong) via a Flanger, but i am struggeling with tuning it, because there is no good translation from notes to the frequency of the Flanger. Sadly some devs think, that note input is overrated if there is a CV input...

So, i need a little bit help. Maybe someone of you can find a good way to tune this instrument. Just look at the backside of the Flanger, which has a CV input. This Flanger Frequency needs to be tuned... Hope you can help and good luck!

Oh, and you need R12 for it.
Attachments
Untuned Plucked String - LQ.zip
(4.36 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Reason12, Win10

• Information