WBL4014 Multitrigger: Rack Player in Testing [Now in the shop!]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
distrakt

09 Feb 2022

Hi all --
I'm in the "public testing" phase for a new Rack Extension Player.

I would LOVE to let you try it! PM me your Reason name and I'll add you.

It's a polyphonic pattern sequencer. I think it improves on a couple of the usual concepts with
• 64 visible steps
• Novel simplification for the pitch assignments.
• Can play many copies as triggered sequences
• Or control it interestingly with CV

Here's a very simple video:

Here's an advert: http://re.omino.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... scaled.jpg

Here's the operating manual: http://re.omino.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Manual.pdf

moalla

10 Feb 2022

Really nice, finally drumsequencer/polystep gets a competitor. When the basic automation stuff like pattern change and mute lanes are working well this player are a game changer :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

distrakt

10 Feb 2022

@moalla -- how should mute lanes work? (cv? automatable buttons? something else?)

Thanks!

moalla

11 Feb 2022

I think like denote, so your device looks like it gives a lot of creative amount, desync... Really exciting, stuff like yours are animating to programm own rack extensions
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

RoryM0

11 Feb 2022

Love this sort of thing. Instant purchase I would imagine.

Stygian Abyss

21 Feb 2022

Very interesting. Will it have realtime or step recording functionality ?

distrakt

21 Feb 2022

AND happy to report it has been submitted for acceptance to the ReasonStudios Shop!

Usually they come back with a couple of question/fixup-requests, for best compatibility with Reason, has been my experience. But should be available quite soon.

It will be a FREE rack extension. It comes with a couple of example Combinator patches to show the basic features.

THANK YOU wonderful early adopters above! Incredibly valuable feedback; sometimes what sounds like an obvious and casual observation is earthshaking to the blind developer. Thank you for your eyes. (Ears.)

(to above question, Stygian Abyss -- That's a great feature idea! For first release it has only visual grid editing.)

Stygian Abyss

22 Feb 2022

distrakt wrote:
21 Feb 2022
It will be a FREE rack extension.
I wasn't expecting that, as it seems to be far more complex than your previous releases. So, many thanks in advance, with or without the recording feature. :thumbup:

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

Reset. I'd love to try this out!

Iapetus 9

24 Feb 2022

I hope it includes a nice "Arecibo" like easter egg. Can't wait.
38L > 51D every time.

distrakt

26 Feb 2022

Iapetus 9 wrote:
24 Feb 2022
I hope it includes a nice "Arecibo" .....
hee hee hee!

distrakt

27 Feb 2022

For amusement purposes only, a little bit of the history of the WBL 4014 can be found tucked into this ancient magazine article:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/quick-time-25

:-)

mjxl

04 Mar 2022

Haven't used it a lot yet, but great random function, and I like the LFO on velocity :o !

also it's available! https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/wbl4014/

Loque

04 Mar 2022

Awsome! And thank you for this nice freebie 👍
Reason12, Win10

distrakt

04 Mar 2022

Thanks for posting, you beat me to it, went live while I was asleep. Hello from GMT-8!
whew! i'm taking the morning off.

moalla

04 Mar 2022

Best Player ever first thought after watch the realease, now reason becomes a new level in pattern based sampling tool. Well done i decided to get arturia spark le for mobile jams or at work with an ipad and now you grant us these master tool distrakt, so these player makes me crazy, a more or less fruity loops inspired updated pattern sequencer, after first view. So have to check it out this night, when our baby is at grandmas place. So the manual seems complicated, i´m in tense to use it!

YES FCK weak "KI"` shit "Say goodbye to advanced artifically intelligent generative players who aim to take jobs from hard-working musicians." that´s the truth

:puf_smile: :clap: :thumbup: MR Disperse

distrakt

04 Mar 2022

I hope you enjoy using it.

The manual is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I mean, it is accurate, but mostly I think you can figure it out by playing with it.

The manual is kind of homage to old school products, before desktop publishing was so easy. Like this one: https://www.apple.asimov.net/documentat ... t_midi.pdf

Enjoy!
moalla wrote:
04 Mar 2022
Best Player ever first thought after watch the realease, now reason becomes a new level in pattern based sampling tool. Well done i decided to get arturia spark le for mobile jams or at work with an ipad and now you grant us these master tool distrakt, so these player makes me crazy, a more or less fruity loops inspired updated pattern sequencer, after first view. So have to check it out this night, when our baby is at grandmas place. So the manual seems complicated, i´m in tense to use it!

YES FCK weak "KI"` shit "Say goodbye to advanced artifically intelligent generative players who aim to take jobs from hard-working musicians." that´s the truth

:puf_smile: :clap: :thumbup: MR Disperse

moalla

04 Mar 2022

This player is really amazing, nice great device after playing with it. I think for this sequencer a slide patterns +- function isn´t usefull/really needed cause 1 is 1 and good for playing melodies, since the beat is live manipulated by thru or trigger.
Together played with macro it flashes me up the last hour, especial the trigger function is really a revolution and together with thru a new live gem.
Togther with the velocity modifier (awesome pumping for the kick) and the time base function it blows away the rest of the sequencers.
sheers distrakt nice work, thank you so much, so someone coded, what no one expected!

Iapetus 9

04 Mar 2022

I've been waiting for this to drop. Thank you distrakt for the awesome freebie!
38L > 51D every time.

huggermugger

04 Mar 2022

I'm liking this a lot, definitely offers some interesting and useful surprises. Can you explain the significance of the flags at the beginning of a note? I can delete them by clicking on them (as in the second cycle in this image), but a note without a flag doesn't seem to behave any differently.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 7.16.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 7.16.02 PM.png (49.86 KiB) Viewed 2774 times

distrakt

04 Mar 2022

huggermugger wrote:
04 Mar 2022
I'm liking this a lot, definitely offers some interesting and useful surprises. Can you explain the significance of the flags at the beginning of a note? I can delete them by clicking on them (as in the second cycle in this image), but a note without a flag doesn't seem to behave any differently.
Thanks!!
It's a cosmetic bug... the "beginning" of a note should really always show a flag (will fix soon!)
The flag matters for two adjacent notes, so you can have a note-start on every step.

huggermugger

05 Mar 2022

distrakt wrote:
04 Mar 2022
huggermugger wrote:
04 Mar 2022
Thanks!!
It's a cosmetic bug... the "beginning" of a note should really always show a flag (will fix soon!)
The flag matters for two adjacent notes, so you can have a note-start on every step.
That makes sense, thanks! Regarding the UI, it would be helpful to subdivide the 12 note lanes horizontally to make alignment easier when painting in notes, like in this image. What do you think?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.41.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.41.12 AM.png (207.9 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 06 Mar 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Catblack

05 Mar 2022

It's certainly powerful and interesting.

There are 3 demo combis in the Rack Entensions folder of your browser, in case anyone hasn't seen them.

I think the big wish is of course to see what notes on the scale are displayed in which lane. Maybe hovering over the scale display highlighting a lane in the grid? (or perhaps a small bar next to that lane?)

I'd like a way to preview what lane is assigned to each note otherwise. (Ctrl-clicking in the grid without a note being drawn? Ctrl-clicking on the scale highlighting the lane that's assigned to that note without assigning?)

Ideally there'd be a way to highlight a lane and assign that in the scale, but I do appreciate the simplicity of the interface (except as noted above.)

And copy/paste patterns would be very helpful. Would allow for improvising a variation.

I love that you can control the direction of playback through cv. (And can feed it stepped and random cv to control the step.)

And most interesting is that the color controls are automatable. Hope people making youtube videos about this RE take advantage of that.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information