Remote in RRP?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
djsmex

26 Feb 2022

Sorry as never used RRP, please excuse my lack of knowledge and experience of the topic.
What I'd like to know is the Remote system available in RRP or is it limited to Reason stand alone?
Assuming Remote is not available in RRP, are the remotable items for each rack device made available to the host DAW for controller surface mapping via that host?

visheshl

26 Feb 2022

I use Ableton with RRP.
There's a configure button in Ableton. When you press that, whichever control you move in any vst plugin, is made available in the daw.
Then you can use your midi controller to automate that control.
Same thing works with RRP in Ableton.
Remote maps work only in standalone not in RRP
So i can for example get filter frequency control in RRP outside in the daw. Then i can use my midi controller to automate it. Or draw automation curves for that control.

djsmex

27 Feb 2022

Many thanks, so if the host DAW has midi mapping for VST then rack device controls can be mapped. Is this limited to the remotable items for each device or is it available for all controls?
For example the wave selection in RS Layers is not remotable via Remote but can it be midi mapped in RRP?
Also are the VST midi mappings restricted to rack front panel controls or can you map rear panel controls or browser items?
best, john

visheshl

27 Feb 2022

remotable controls only. browser items cant be mapped. i haven't checked if controls on the rear of the rack can be mapped, but if they are remotable, they should be mappable.

visheshl

27 Feb 2022

Just FYI you have to map the controls everytime you load an new instance of RRP.
Or in Ableton i save the patch as a . vstpatch then it stores the controls i have mapped.

But it won't really work with RRP, because everytime you open RRP, you will be adding a different set of devices to the rack depending on the sound you're working on.
So basically you have to map the controls everytime.

jam-s

27 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
27 Feb 2022
But it won't really work with RRP, because everytime you open RRP, you will be adding a different set of devices to the rack depending on the sound you're working on.
As this is a major hassle a good workaround is to put all your RRP contents of a single instance into a combinator with some custom front panel with lots of controls and simply map only all controls of this combinator. Then you can have the mapping work for many of your sounds or FX chains.

djsmex

28 Feb 2022

Thanks for the info, last questions:
Can you map output only remote items like drum playing in ReDrum via RRP for control surface display?
Lastly has anyone tried RRP in Reaper and is it possible to use RRP inside Komplete Kontrol (NKS)?

visheshl

28 Feb 2022

djsmex wrote:
28 Feb 2022
Can you map output only remote items like drum playing in ReDrum via RRP for control surface display?
Lastly has anyone tried RRP in Reaper and is it possible to use RRP inside Komplete Kontrol (NKS)?
No idea.

Why all these questions ?
What are you trying to do basically?
It's quite obvious you won't get the kind of control you get with reason standalone in RRP.
RRP is a vst, it will have limitations either from being a vst or from the DAW side.
There's no perfect solution, anything you try to do will have certain limitations.
Last edited by visheshl on 28 Feb 2022, edited 1 time in total.

visheshl

28 Feb 2022

jam-s wrote:
27 Feb 2022
visheshl wrote:
27 Feb 2022
As this is a major hassle a good workaround is to put all your RRP contents of a single instance into a combinator with some custom front panel with lots of controls and simply map only all controls of this combinator. Then you can have the mapping work for many of your sounds or FX chains.
Looks like i might have to buy reason 12 afterall...😁😁😁

djsmex

28 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
28 Feb 2022
djsmex wrote:
28 Feb 2022
No idea.

Why all these questions ?
What are you trying to do basically?
It's quite obvious you won't get the kind of control you get with reason standalone in RRP.
RRP is a vst, it will have limitations either from being a vst or from the DAW side.
There's no perfect solution, anything you try to do will have certain limitations.
I'm a visually impaired reason user and reason 12 has introduced new limitations preventing almost all textual info from being read out. This includes the browser panel, sequencer edit toolbar, transport bar etc. I can still get the menu bar read out and right-click menus read out but nothing else.
So I am looking at other options, Reaper is only $60 and has great screen reader access via third party scripts for free but this means using reason as a VST, which means no Remote maps, which has been a big part of how I use reason.
Just looking for solutions for future use of reason & rack extensions.

electrofux

01 Mar 2022

The problem is that RRP does not report ALL remotable items to the host. It is mostly the items that are also Midi Mapable (like through the advanced midi device rack module). Last time i checked it were the first 128 or 256 of the items in the remote info file of a device. Quite often the output only items come last. So i guess no luck for that.

I wished too they had remote for RRP or would report all remote items.

SebAudio

01 Mar 2022

And the reported names are prefixed with the preset name ! I don’t think there exist a controller with a screen which can show those names in their enterity !

djsmex

01 Mar 2022

SebAudio wrote:
01 Mar 2022
And the reported names are prefixed with the preset name ! I don’t think there exist a controller with a screen which can show those names in their enterity !
As my issue is accessibility my hope is to have parameter name/values read out with TTS (text to speech).
A little ike NKS native access from native-instruments.
Here's a little web app I've wrote for ReDrum using Remote with speech, to show the potential for accessibility
http://www.reasonremoter.uk/ReDrum/
Please note it requires a 1920x1080 display.

djsmex

03 Mar 2022

Update: As the ReDrum web app requires SSL, I've had to move its location. It is now here:
https://www.nostex.co.uk/ReDrum/

visheshl

03 Mar 2022

I understand you're trying to make it easier for a visually impaired person to use reason as a music making tool. But i think unless the company making the software decides to make it easier for you, it will be very difficult for you to make workarounds for the same. I think you should write to reason studios regarding this, maybe they out of the goodwill of their heart decide to make it friendly for visually impaired people.
Otherwise I'd say you should switch to other software which are friendly for you and can help you make music. Reason as of now has a lot of bugs and all and it probably will be their last priority to make it friendly to visually impaired people.
Maybe it's better for you to use reaper instead. It afaik is very scriptable and you could find it easier to customise it for your needs.
I hope that you succeed in your endeavours.
Regards
Vishesche

djsmex

03 Mar 2022

thanks vashesche, I am checking out Reaper with the free scripts and also looking at native-instruments nks voice access and just see arturia keylab now also have TTS voice support.
I have contacted RS and have tried to impress upon them the commercial benefits of accessibility, when international long standing companies like Native-Instruments say 5% (1in20) Komplete Kontrol users are using their voice access feature, it shows money is to be made from accessibility and it is not just goodwill.
I have suggestered to RS, if they extend the Remote to cover the browser panel, sequencer toolbar, f8 tool window etc then third party scripts can use midi and remote sdk to produce TTS voice access just like my ReDrum web app.
https://www.nostex.co.uk/ReDrum/
My other line of thinking was to use RRP in Reaper but see if the RRP VST can be loaded via Komplete Kontrol and write NKS scripts to give voice access to device midi mappable items. However, at present I don't own Komplete Kontrol or voice access compatible keyboard like NI S-Series or A-Series and don't know anything about the NKS sdk.
Reason 11 is more accessible than 12 and unless RS do something to improve access I will be forced away from Reason, loosing access to all purchased REs.

• Information