New (Free!) RE: Macro multi model synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
crimsonwarlock

20 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2022
But it lacks some basic synth features like glide time, envelopes, filters, modulation and more CV.
I think that is a feature and part of the charm of modules like this.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

madmacman

20 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2022
So... I played a bit with it. It has some great generators! But it lacks some basic synth features like glide time, envelopes, filters, modulation and more CV.

When comes the full features version? I would pay for it 😍
Well, isn't it part of the design concept? The original Plaits is an oscillator, but has also some auxiliary tools like an LPG for basic autonomous functionality. It is not a full fledged synth.

So I see Macro more in the line with RE's like Jiggery's Ammo generators or other stuff.

On the other hand: your wish is totally valid, but it goes more into the direction of a software version of Arturia MicroFreak, right?

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

Well this does need additional seperate modules like envelope and filter modules. It's a terrific sound generator on its own but it would be nice if a suitable filter and a good envelope generator was seperately available.

Synthopathe

20 Feb 2022

madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2022
Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2022
So... I played a bit with it. It has some great generators! But it lacks some basic synth features like glide time, envelopes, filters, modulation and more CV.

So I see Macro more in the line with RE's like Jiggery's Ammo generators or other stuff.
That's given me a great idea 💡 I'm going to load up some Ammo combis that use the Charlotte env generator etc and replace Ammo with Macro. Thanks 👍

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

What's a Charlotte env generator ?
Is it available on the shop as a seperate RE ?

madmacman

20 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
20 Feb 2022
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

:)

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2022
visheshl wrote:
20 Feb 2022
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

:)
So this can be connected to macro and we can use Charlotte's env instead of macro's built in envelope ?
Could someone post a screenshot of the back panel cabling of this ?
If i understand it, i might buy Charlotte.

Loque

20 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Feb 2022
madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2022
Sure. I get it.

But as an example, i cannot automate the number of voices. Does not seem to be a thing? Well, it also cannot be mapped to a Combinator2...

And regarding Glide Time...i cannot recreate it since there is no pitch CV or Pitch total control. In VCV you can glide a oscillator...

And all the 16 voices are nice, but the real power of polyphonic synth lies in the per-voice-control. Even in VCV i can do this quite easily. In Reason its a pain and requires weird cabling with CVPT or Redistributor and everything must be doubled for each voice.

The lack of CV is a problem, when you want to modulate something and need to go via Combinator, which disables automation control. Sure, you can hack this too, but man...
Reason12, Win10

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

Please provide a filter bypass switch so that when we want to use a seperate filter with this, we can bypass the internal filter.
Often this Synth will be used with a seperate filter, so a filter bypass switch would be a good idea.

Ideally this bypass switch should not be saved with the patch, so if you have bypassed the filter and are using an external filter, any patch you load should bypass the filter, just like the bypass effect switch found in other reason effects. That switch is not saved with the patch.

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

Also please provide a decay & sustain knobs if lpg/env switch is set to env.

Or please please make a new version of this Synth, with europa,grain like envelope section.
Filters we can use external filters, we can also use external LFOs, but a nice env section would greatly enhance the kind of sounds this Synth can produce. I love the generator section of this Synth.
If you can make a version with a europa like envelope section, i would definitely buy it if it's within 20$ range.

BRIGGS

20 Feb 2022

I love it.

It reminds me of the Noise Engineering modules.

Please don't change a thing. :puf_smile:

"The definition of genius is taking the complex and making it simple."

- Albert Einstein
r11s

crimsonwarlock

20 Feb 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2022
+1
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

20 Feb 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2022
I love it.

- Albert Einstein
Well it's possible to not change a thing in this Synth, however it's also possible to make another version with a better envelope section.
That version can be sold rather than given for free, those who like it may buy it.
It's a digital world afterall, noone is actually physically manufacturing the unit.
Files can easily be duplicated and altered as needed and sold as seperate versions.
I personally feel that a good editable envelope section would enhance the type of sounds this Synth is able to create.
Filters, effects and LFOs can be used seperately, but envelopes are per note, and can't be used as intended if used seperately.

BRIGGS

20 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
20 Feb 2022
BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2022
I love it.

- Albert Einstein
Well it's possible to not change a thing in this Synth, however it's also possible to make another version with a better envelope section.
That version can be sold rather than given for free, those who like it may buy it.
It's a digital world afterall, noone is actually physically manufacturing the unit.
Files can easily be duplicated and altered as needed and sold as seperate versions.
I personally feel that a good editable envelope section would enhance the type of sounds this Synth is able to create.
Filters, effects and LFOs can be used seperately, but envelopes are per note, and can't be used as intended if used seperately.
Or, you could sample Macro, and load the results into Grain.

Grain has a monster envelope section.

r11s

platzangst

20 Feb 2022

What a lovely free gift, I'll be using this.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Feb 2022

madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2022
Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2022

Well, isn't it part of the design concept? The original Plaits is an oscillator, but has also some auxiliary tools like an LPG for basic autonomous functionality. It is not a full fledged synth.

On the other hand: your wish is totally valid, but it goes more into the direction of a software version of Arturia MicroFreak, right?
I wish the microfreak sounded half as good as this RE, though...

modecca

21 Feb 2022

🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

modecca wrote:
21 Feb 2022
Good to see you back in action Teflon, jamming and tweaking away.
The video does a good job of showing off the wide palette of sounds that can be made with this synth. And having that display of Macro in the corner is a nice touch too, so one can see what's going on.

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Feb 2022
BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2022
+1
+1

It looks like and sounds like mutable Reaktor block... fantastic. :puf_smile:

modecca

21 Feb 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Feb 2022

Good to see you back in action Teflon, jamming and tweaking away.
The video does a good job of showing off the wide palette of sounds that can be made with this synth. And having that display of Macro in the corner is a nice touch too, so one can see what's going on.
Macro encouraged me to dust off my poor forgotten controller, leaning up against the wall collecting cobwebs.

fgttn.PNG
fgttn.PNG (370.8 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
🔗💥

Stygian Abyss

22 Feb 2022

Many thanks to the developers of this great device. :clap:

fieldframe
RE Developer

22 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
20 Feb 2022
Please provide a filter bypass switch so that when we want to use a seperate filter with this, we can bypass the internal filter.
Often this Synth will be used with a seperate filter, so a filter bypass switch would be a good idea.
When the Filter knob is turned all the way up, the filter is effectively bypassed. Using this in conjunction with ENV mode gives you a signal that's great for working with external filters!

modecca

24 Feb 2022

🔗💥

deeplink
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

modecca wrote:
21 Feb 2022

Macro encouraged me to dust off my poor forgotten controller, leaning up against the wall collecting cobwebs.

fgttn.PNG
Was this photo taken in Chernobyl?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information