The VSTs you would like to have in Rack extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Kilsane

16 Feb 2022

Hi everyone,

like many people here, I'm on Reason for a lot of things, one of which is that I don't like flying windows, which means that I prefer Rack extensions to VSTs, so I wonder what VSTs you use and that you would like to have in the form of Rack extentions or equivalent in Rack extentions.

For my part, I would like and would be ready to pay an equivalent of:
.Cableguys Half time
.XLN RC20 or Arturia Tape Melo-Fi...
.Output Portal or Arturia Efx Fragments (Fritz often does the trick for me)

this thread could be used as an audit or to inspire Rack extension developers.
And you which VST of which you would like an equivalent in Rack extensions ?
Last edited by Kilsane on 06 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Hoboys

16 Feb 2022

Not too familiar with Half-Time, but doesn't the Reason sequencer have a higher quality cntrl_click_drag stretch functionality built in?

I'd like Softube or Waves mastering strips. We have the big blue, but $450 is a bit of a "GO F""""" YOURSELF, SOFTUBE!" for the average user, considering they're selling the VST version for $99 every now and then.

integerpoet

16 Feb 2022

The only ones I want are those which "think outside the box", for example TrackSpacer. I definitely don't need all the analog emulation fetish objects and the reverbs officially licensed by studios as resembling their rooms and all the rest of the marketing-driven chaos out there in VST land.

raymondh

16 Feb 2022

u-he repro 1 and 5. Will never happen of course with u-he withdrawing from RE development as a result of their initial experiences.

huggermugger

16 Feb 2022

None. I like the way Reason handles VSTs. I like the shell concept and I like the Programmer better than the Combinator version.

thedude

16 Feb 2022

yeah, having diva and repro back in the rack would be amazing. i'd pay to cross grade them.

Billy+

16 Feb 2022

Off the top of my head

Rising Night Wave

17 Feb 2022

ujam's finisher
some decent old school swedish death metal distortion :D
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Arrant
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2022

I don't mind floating windows for synth tweaking but while mixing I move more quickly from device to device thus making floating windows annoying again.
Unfortunately RE mixing options are unsatisfactory. If we had everything from Waves in RE format it would certainly help, but that will never happen.

dioxide

17 Feb 2022

I'm not a good person to ask as I'm a RE fundamentalist but I'd list the three that I use.

Korg M1
Nils Kawai K1
VirtualCZ

I'm sure there is loads of other great plugins but I like my projects to be future proof so I generally stay away from VSTs. For effects and analogue synths there is usually a RE alternative but for instruments that use copyrighted sampled waveforms there is often only the manufacturer's VST eg. Roland D50.

dvdrtldg

17 Feb 2022

I'm not too fussed about VST vs RE, but purely from a visual aesthetics point of view, I'd love to see the Waves Abbey Road collection in the rack. They're real purty

visheshl

17 Feb 2022

Edit : Sorry misread the post while drunk.
Last edited by visheshl on 22 Feb 2022, edited 2 times in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2022

Definitely the KORG Triton VST. Its window takes quite a while to load up in every DAW, so at least as an RE I wouldn't have to suffer the annoying 3-4 second wait every time I want to open its window.

Most skeuomorphic VSTs are easy candidates as they should be easier to port. Waves and Analogue Obsession are good examples.

integerpoet

17 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Feb 2022
Ozone
I'm probably the last one to realize this, but Ozone ships with a stand-alone app which itself supports VST.

From the perspective of psychological games one can play on oneself, it might be good to keep Ozone out of Reason altogether.

For me, it's too tempting to waste time on experimentally pressing that big button just to see what it'll suggest for the current mix.

I struggle with this on the regular. I almost want to uninstall the VST.

Billy+

17 Feb 2022

integerpoet wrote:
17 Feb 2022
Billy+ wrote:
16 Feb 2022
Ozone
I'm probably the last one to realize this, but Ozone ships with a stand-alone app which itself supports VST.

From the perspective of psychological games one can play on oneself, it might be good to keep Ozone out of Reason altogether.

For me, it's too tempting to waste time on experimentally pressing that big button just to see what it'll suggest for the current mix.

I struggle with this on the regular. I almost want to uninstall the VST.
I brought both izotope products as the advanced versions so I can use the individual components rather than the mothership - as such I've never felt the need for any other tools as the bundles for each cover quite a large range.

The real bonus is that the components are capable of IPC so when using the mothership you are able to just get on with it all from one interface.

I see you like trackspacer, with the masking feature of izotope products devices like trackspacer are rendered useless ;)

I find it very difficult to even look at mixing and mastering RE's and now RRP is a thing and R12 has encouraged me to move DAW's I'm glad that I spent money on vst's as the move to Live Suite has been made a whole lot easier..

integerpoet

17 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
17 Feb 2022
I (bought) both (Izotope) products as the advanced versions so I can use the individual components rather than the mothership - as such I've never felt the need for any other tools as the bundles for each cover quite a large range.
I'm not sure what "individual components" and "mothership" mean. I'm aware of Ozone having an app and a VST plug-in. What I'm saying is that the app might be the best choice for me for the purpose of tricking myself into wasting less time with brief neurotransmitter hits from having the VST so easily available during mixing.
The real bonus is that the components are capable of IPC so when using the mothership you are able to just get on with it all from one interface.
I keep meaning to look into how the pieces can talk to each other, but it's a meta-task which takes time away from finishing the project du jour. :-)
I see you like trackspacer, with the masking feature of izotope products devices like trackspacer are rendered useless ;)
The Izotope products are sufficiently deep that there's all kinds of potentially important stuff I just haven't gotten around to trying. Anyway, if TrackSpacer is redundant with an Izotope feature, that doesn't solve the RE problem, now, does it? :-)
I find it very difficult to even look at mixing and mastering RE's and now RRP is a thing and R12 has encouraged me to move DAW's I'm glad that I spent money on vst's as the move to Live Suite has been made a whole lot easier..
Well in that case RS can safely ignore much of your list. :-)

Billy+

17 Feb 2022

Reason Studios has always ignored lists but thankfully the powers that be have at least given us the opportunity with RRP to move passed the inconvenience of lacking features and the ever growing bugs,

hopefully things will improve but until then I will continue to avoid the upgrade and the re shop.

Fraxis

22 Feb 2022

The D16 effects: Godfazer, Antresol, Fazortran etc. They did create a couple of REs in the early days, but seem to have lost interest in supporting the format.

visheshl

22 Feb 2022

A good sampler RE, synths are dime a dozen on the reason shop.
I'd like a good sampler RE.
If any RE Dev's are reading this, please note.
Not a specific vst in mind but a good sampler, nn19 and nnxt are great samplers but feel old somehow just like subtractor is a great Synth but when compared to the more modern synths it feels old.

So if RE Dev's are looking for a recreation, perhaps they could get a recreation of a good sampler like kontakt to the reason Rack.

Just as a side note, perhaps reason studios should make a new fresh gui for the old devices when they update, that would get more people to start using the old devices more... simply because they look and feel more modern and inviting.

Fusion

22 Feb 2022

Ozone plugins or at least update the limiter.

BRIGGS

22 Feb 2022

Largo and Black Hole
r11s

crimsonwarlock

22 Feb 2022

Surge. However, I'm guessing the RE SDK won't be able to handle the complexity of that beast.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ireidt

24 Feb 2022

For me, anything Izotope, NI, and waves. That being said, the floating window thing doesn't bother me but I started in Pro Tools so maybe I'm used to floating windows.

deigm

27 Feb 2022

integerpoet wrote:
16 Feb 2022
The only ones I want are those which "think outside the box", for example TrackSpacer. I definitely don't need all the analog emulation fetish objects and the reverbs officially licensed by studios as resembling their rooms and all the rest of the marketing-driven chaos out there in VST land.
For TrackSpacer functionality check out the rack extension Carve EQ Ducker if you haven't already. I believe Omega DEQ can do it as well.

• Information