METACORE (Correlation Meter)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

METACORE
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion-meter/

“MetaCore” is an intuitive correlation meter which shows how much your signals are in-phase or out-of-phase.
The device not only detects out-of-phase signal problems but also gives phase manipulations options to help in fixing them. PAN and WIDTH controls are also included for further tweaking of your signal.

Correlation meter is one of the “must have” utilities for mastering, pinpointing issues with stereo or mono signals and helping in controlling and fixing “out of phase” problems.

Correlation value “+1” indicates that L/R channels correlate 100% (signals are in phase). Maximum correlation (identical signals).

Correlation values to the right of the center position (“-0.99”..”0”) indicate that the stereo signal is mono compatible.

Middle position “0” indicates the highest value of L/R divergence, which is audible as a wide stereo effect. No correlation between the signals.

If the Correlation meter moves to the left of the center position, out-of-phase material is being detected. This leads to phase cancelations (if the stereo signal is combined into a mono signal)

“-1” minimum correlation value indicates that L/R signals are completely out of phase.

The right half (from 0 to +1) is shaded green, the left-half (from -1 to 0) is shaded red.

If using a dual-mono signal just invert one channel’s polarity to make the signal “in-phase”.

PHASE INVERTOR MODES:
- NO (phase not inverted)
- LEFT (invert left channel phase)
- RIGHT (invert right channel phase)

integerpoet

10 Feb 2022

This looks great. I might grab it right away because I'm in the middle of a project whose client wants a "wide screen" feel and keeps telling me "wider! wider!" and may not be realizing all the implications. :-)

It occurs to me you might be leaving money on the table by saying "mastering" as opposed to "mixing and mastering". It seems one could drop this into a mix in a lot of different places to find out where problems arise and potentially fix them before they are allowed to propagate and thus become unfixable.

crimsonwarlock

10 Feb 2022

I already have Reasonistas Corelation, but if not, I would pick this up right away. Nice price also.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

integerpoet

10 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Feb 2022
I already have Reasonistas Corelation…
I have that as well, but I rarely think of using it. I can't quite put my finger on why…

Faastwalker

12 Feb 2022

Grabbed it ......... still not sure how these things work though! :oops: I just strapped one on my master output chain of devices.

Put a Rex loop through it. It's jumping all over the place. I need to do a bit of reading and research to se what this is all about! :shock:

integerpoet

12 Feb 2022

integerpoet wrote:
10 Feb 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Feb 2022
I already have Reasonistas Corelation…
I have that as well, but I rarely think of using it. I can't quite put my finger on why…
I may have figured out why I don't use CoreReLation Phase Analyser. I think the the cognitive load is too high. The visual impact is too great. Also, is it a diagnostic or utility? It's a floor wax and a dessert topping. I want to like it. I should like it. It does All The Things in a single RE, which ought to make me love it, right? It seemed like a good idea at the time. I obviously bought it and I don't exactly regret having done so, but let's just say there is an undeniable lack of evidence that I reach for it. So I'm trying to analyze that without flinching.

Also I am obviously a hypocrite because I love love love Ozone Imager, which has some of the same virtues and faults and yet I can hardly wait to experiment with it on just about any track despite its also being a VST and my strong preference for RE. (And yes I'm aware there's a multi-band variant in Ozone proper… Don't get me started…)

If I weren't such a terrible hypocrite then I suppose I might also be contemplating combining METACORE with the also-brand-spanking-new (and free) Stereo Converter. Oh, hey, I am contemplating that. Maybe I am not such a terrible hypocrite after all.

I also wonder how my ongoing attachment to Stereo Splitter will be affected by all of this.

turn2on
RE Developer

13 Feb 2022

@ Faastwalker
This kind of utility can be usable at master just to check and find places with our-of-phase material in mix, places that usually can work bad role in the whole mix.
Modern music today is much more coming to wider mixes.

It very cool if you can create from simple track beautiful stereo product. We all know how sad can sounds bad mixes on the great material.

But you must start from single tracks to check..
Just a guitar in mono, or bass.. that can be very limited in stereo picture is working nice?
Or does is your stereo track have in-phase signal?

You can find phase inversion at Reason SSL mixer, but not have basic correlation meter with withal part.

You can fix any flat tracks by inverting phase of one channel and make nice sound for this track in mix.
No needs to use stereo widening, but you also can with this RE, or using any additional creative FX for instrument to make sounds better.

Just try to listen, look at meter for some tracks, and you can get cool results from previously flat tracks on mix without global changes of track

Cool to use in various scenarios, very helpful for fast checking and fixing out of phase material.

Just Google something about role of correlation in the mix, it’s usually very short talks but helpful.

May be my fault that I not attach audio examples and need to make them, but it’s just the meter with out-of-phase fix and pan, width image possibilities

DJMaytag

02 Jun 2022

Just bought this a few days ago. What a great tool to check on some issues before they happen!

dioxide

22 Jan 2023

I'm doing some tests on various Phase meters. Metacore seems to be giving me the exact opposite to every other meter I am testing (see image). So when the others show plus numbers, Metacore shows minus numbers.

I don't have this one (expired demo) but I think I have tested all the others:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -inverter/

What is going on here? Thanks.
Metacore.png
Metacore.png (813.8 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

turn2on
RE Developer

23 Jan 2023

Hello, dioxide.
Thank you for your attention.
We start on this RE as De-Correlation utility. Bat at last moment try to invert it to classic Correlation meter. And make some GUI troubles. You are right, currently RE show inverted +1/-1 positions.
I now out from the work for 2 days, but soon as possible (I already start fixes time ago) try to resolve this problem for better understanding from GUI side.
Answer for current version is Decorrelation mode. Sorry, but this must be fixed soon as possible, because this all really non-intuitive

dioxide

28 May 2023

Just using this at the moment and I think there is still a bug. Load the attached Combinator containing a Redrum triggering a mono sample. Metacore's meter moves into red Mono Compatibility Risk section of the meter but the signal is completely mono. If you compare this to the phase meter in Rob Papen Spec and my other VST phase meter, Metacore is showing a completely different result.
Attachments
Metacore TEST.zip
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

turn2on
RE Developer

29 May 2023

I'm not find problem in this situation.
Meter works nice with this combi Kick example.

When Kick is triggered, audio-output from ReDrum going to the Metacore input, you can see input activity LED at the panel.
At the same time, meter is show Signal Mono Compatibility / Compatibility Risk.
So, when Kick is active, meter show that signal is Mono Compitable at green zone.
After this, when no active signal at the input of the meter, we have silence measurement, that is always go to the red zone by default. You must look to the meter at active signal measurement moment.

Metacore works fine like a Rob Paper Spec, but not hold signal value, because this is a real-time measurement device.
Attachments
kick.png
kick.png (682.43 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Mattvank

29 May 2023

I never mind about phase. Feel free to explain more why i should use this instead of my ears and a scope. :oops:

turn2on
RE Developer

29 May 2023

Ears is good but can be not enough for control.
Scope is good, but what type of it you use?

So, as example look at TC Phase Scope, that show variations of measurement.

Correlation meter can be the part of the Phase Scope meter.
So, to make the phase control of the track, correlation can be enough.
Look video, and find how phase can be measured, also look to correlation meter for phase control, and section Balance-o-meter helps to understand Correlation meter work in phase I/o question.

Correlation meter helps to find Phase In/Out (mono comp/risk) and fix this fast with phase inv tool in MetaCore.

• Information