Reason 13 wishlist...? 432Hz button?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2022

Hopefully it's not a double post. If so I will change the title.
I just want to suggest one small thing...
A Big button on the Mixer interface to switch between 440Hz and 432 Hz without having to
get into preferences, so the switch can be performed live when needed.
Is it possible? It is just one idea, I haven't got 12 so I can't
really work on the latest update.

:lightbulb: :idea:
-31.4589 cents to equal 432Hz.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Feb 2022

Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Actually, -31.76665.

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2022

I moved this to Feature Requests for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Lots of differing opinions on the subject of 440 vs 432 Hz, so can I ask we just leave that part alone in this thread. So the question here isn't about 440 vs 432, it's about this specific suggestion to be able to switch to an alternate pitch center (which ideally would be specified by the user rather than just limiting it to these two choices).
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

09 Feb 2022

Always remembering that the 432Hz change won't affect VSTs or pre-recorded audio.

Karim
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2022

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
orthodox wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Actually, -31.76665.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2022

huggermugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Always remembering that the 432Hz change won't affect VSTs or pre-recorded audio.
Audio clips yes; usual Sampler, alias Dr.Rex, Proton, Grain, NNXT, etc should repitch accordingly if I'm not mistaken.
To Selig. yes, ty for the transposing. Somewhere, in a recent time, I remember someone proposing it could be a
10 digit-bits window writeable for the sake of semplicity. Just enter the value preferred.
If it could be automated with a button or else; a player; the SSL Mixer; it would than make it possible to adjust it live,
maybe even a Cv... and also Tempo... Regroove could be a candidate for reconfiguration as it is already
working with main tempo (It's Midi or tempo swing? I don't know the mechanics) :oops:

DaveyG

10 Feb 2022

Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
huggermugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Audio clips yes; usual Sampler, alias Dr.Rex, Proton, Grain, NNXT, etc should repitch accordingly if I'm not mistaken.
To Selig. yes, ty for the transposing. Somewhere, in a recent time, I remember someone proposing it could be a
10 digit-bits window writeable for the sake of semplicity. Just enter the value preferred.
If it could be automated with a button or else; a player; the SSL Mixer; it would than make it possible to adjust it live,
maybe even a Cv... and also Tempo... Regroove could be a candidate for reconfiguration as it is already
working with main tempo (It's Midi or tempo swing? I don't know the mechanics) :oops:
I'm curious as to why you might want to switch such a thing live.

Re8et
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2022

DaveyG wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022

Requests, for one, (hey Dj, can you play more in tune with the Earth??? :lol: :lol: kinda )
two I'm getting addicted to 432 tuning. Pitching down the whole song is somewhat magical.. (more chill-out?)
It has something to it it's hard to explain.
Players opened up a whole new chapter in context tuning it is hard to go back :puf_smile:

jam-s

10 Feb 2022

General support for tuning files (scala .scl) and thus micro-tuning would be much better imho.
Last edited by jam-s on 10 Feb 2022, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Feb 2022

432 Hz is so 🙄

Karim
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2022

Already . I have noticed that the VSTs are not affected by changes.
So from the master I found a WAVES plugin where you can set 432hz on the whole master chain. a bit coarse I must say
but effective.
I'd like to make this change individually on each instrument (VST included) :(

btw the plugin mentioned is Soundshifter Pitch by Waves :D

Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
huggermugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

huggermugger

10 Feb 2022

Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
huggermugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Yes, Reason's own devices and 3rd party REs will repitch. As I said, VSTs won't, neither will prerecorded audio.

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

huggermugger wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Re8et wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Yes, Reason's own devices and 3rd party REs will repitch.
Yes they will, but I am not sure that every device will follow the setting immediately. I suspect that some instruments will not be observing it for the notes currently being played, only for the new notes.

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

Re8et wrote:
10 Feb 2022
DaveyG wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Requests, for one, (hey Dj, can you play more in tune with the Earth??? :lol: :lol: kinda )
two I'm getting addicted to 432 tuning. Pitching down the whole song is somewhat magical.. (more chill-out?)
Players opened up a whole new chapter in context tuning it is hard to go back :puf_smile:
Pitching down is indeed effective, for years many bands tuned down a half step to go one better than 432 Hz - I only mention this because adopting a 415.3 Hz tuning has all the advantages (and addictive qualities) of tuning down PLUS it already works in Reason across all tracks and allows the use of ANY existing instrument such as a piano or B3 (unlike 432 Hz). 🤓
EDIT - drums also sound bigger and fatter when tuned down, fwiw…
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2022

Couldn't this all be done with Polar?

Fusion

10 Feb 2022

selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Re8et wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Pitching down is indeed effective, for years many bands tuned down a half step to go one better than 432 Hz - I only mention this because adopting a 415.3 Hz tuning has all the advantages (and addictive qualities) of tuning down PLUS it already works in Reason across all tracks and allows the use of ANY existing instrument such as a piano or B3 (unlike 432 Hz). 🤓
Can you show how to do this in your live stream?

DaveyG

10 Feb 2022

selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Re8et wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Yeah, I agree but why switch between references live? Why not be on that tuning all the time?

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

DaveyG wrote:
10 Feb 2022
selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Yeah, I agree but why switch between references live? Why not be on that tuning all the time?
The suggestion was for a button to do this, and I'm not the one making the suggestion so I can't answer why. Maybe the OP can propose a use case for this feature?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

Fusion wrote:
10 Feb 2022
selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Can you show how to do this in your live stream?
Sure, but it would be super boring IMO since all I'm suggesting is to transpose all your songs down a half step (assuming you like the way things sound when tuned down). You can do this by tuning to -50 cents but is only necessary for samples since synths won't sound any different than just transposing them down a half step. The "theory" is if you like 30 cents flat, you'll love 50 cents flat! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

10 Feb 2022

He already did: :-)

"Requests, for one, (hey Dj, can you play more in tune with the Earth??? :lol: :lol: kinda )
Players opened up a whole new chapter in context tuning it is hard to go back :puf_smile:"
selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022
DaveyG wrote:
10 Feb 2022

The suggestion was for a button to do this, and I'm not the one making the suggestion so I can't answer why. Maybe the OP can propose a use case for this feature?

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

selig wrote:
10 Feb 2022
The "theory" is if you like 30 cents flat, you'll love 50 cents flat! ;)
That theory would challenge the inexplicable magic of 432. What if you go further and lower it by an octave, or God forbid stay with 440?

ltbrunt00

24 Apr 2022

Before We get to Reason 13 we need VST 3. Sooner rather than later. I would love to beta test Reason 12 with VST 3.
For reason 13 I don't think we need a reason release that focuses on instruments and rack extensions. I think we have all been waiting for the Complete DAW overhaul release.

1. I want to see additions to the Sequencer similar to Studio one, Bitwig & Nuendo.

2. Work the Tool functions into the GUI. I use it then sometimes forget it is there in the DAW(F8).

3. Update the piano roll. They could even add player functions right in the piano roll.

4. Add a drag and drop midi chord finder similar to what is in Cubase (preferred) or Studio One. Scales and chords is good for what it does but nothing beats just bringing up
chords in a circle of fifths charts and dragging and dropping. Making chord progressions is instantly faster.

5. Update the Dual arpeggio with more note banks like the newer Reason players.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

24 Apr 2022

Before We get to Reason 13 we need VST 3. Sooner rather than later. I would love to beta test Reason 12 with VST 3.
For reason 13 I don't think we need a reason release that focuses on instruments and rack extensions. I think we have all been waiting for the Complete DAW overhaul release.

1. I want to see additions to the Sequencer similar to Studio one, Bitwig & Nuendo.

2. Work the Tool functions into the GUI. I use it then sometimes forget it is there in the DAW(F8).

3. Update the piano roll. They could even add player functions right in the piano roll.

4. Add a drag and drop midi chord finder similar to what is in Cubase (preferred) or Studio One. Scales and chords is good for what it does but nothing beats just bringing up
chords in a circle of fifths charts and dragging and dropping. Making chord progressions is instantly faster.

5. Update the Dual arpeggio with more note banks like the newer Reason players.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

sorry for not sticking to the topic. but would ask: are there any rumours when will R13 be released?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2022

Re8et wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Pitching down the whole song is somewhat magical.. (more chill-out?)
IMO it's easy to explain, and is also why some guitarists tune down as well. Tuning down often sounds better because it sounds 'bigger'.
With that in mind, try tuning down a half step or even a whole step (sorry to repeat myself here!), sounds even bigger!
Side note: I LOVE the sound of drums tuned down, either recorded at a higher speed and played back slower or samples/REX files tuned down. Definite magic there for sure.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information