Question about combinator CV automation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
okaino

27 Jan 2022

I hit a question that i want to make sure is not possible before i leave the idea.

Is it possible to set up cv in the rack and then record the automation of an instruments control while in the combinator?

Example:
If i routed a lfo into a combinator cv input and then had that cv input modulate an instrument within the combinators attack knob is there any way i could record automation of the instruments attack knob while its being modulated by cv within the combinator?

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2022

-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2022

If i understand you correctly you are asking if two things can BOTH control one knob, snd the answer is yes and no. Yea, you CAN do it, but no, it won’t sound as expected since the two control signals will be ‘fighting’ for control of that one knob. The reason is because the control signals are not summed first, same as if you are driving a car and one passenger steps on the gas while another steps on the brake at the same time.
One way to (sort of) do this is to not use a CV input on the Combinator but instead use the Rotary CV input. THEN you can automate the Combinator knob AND use the cv at the same time because they are summed internally in the Combinator before being sent on to the control on the contained device. Makes sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

Reminiscence

27 Jan 2022

afaik the automation in the sequencer takes preference for the instrument (inside the combi), but the cv (running through pulsar for example) takes preference over the automation in the sequencer of the combi, ("dial") lol

I don't know if that makes sense - but I tried it sorta

okaino

27 Jan 2022

Thanks This is exactly what i was looking for!

• Information