Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plaamook

21 Jan 2022

Eprom wrote:
20 Jan 2022
Heater wrote:
17 Jan 2022
I just realised that native M1 support isn't going to be until May. F**k they are slow.
Apple will have moved to M2 before reason is native M1 I fear. :puf_bigsmile:
Don’t even joke.
Those twits weren’t happy enough pissing everyone around w os updates, they needed to move in on hardwear too? 🙄
Bad enough w the ‘devices’
In fact I was thinking the other day, for all the constant updates I mostly want my gear to do the same thing it did ten years ago
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

moneykube

21 Jan 2022

plaamook wrote:
21 Jan 2022
I mostly want my gear to do the same thing it did ten years ago
yes please... where is the line to sign up for that !
I have grown to hate apple... I was a fanboy until Jobs left this world.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2022

plaamook wrote:
21 Jan 2022
Eprom wrote:
20 Jan 2022

Apple will have moved to M2 before reason is native M1 I fear. :puf_bigsmile:
Don’t even joke.
Those twits weren’t happy enough pissing everyone around w os updates, they needed to move in on hardwear too? 🙄
In fact I was thinking the other day, for all the constant updates I mostly want my gear to do the same thing it did ten years ago
The M1 is one of the most important CPU shake ups in the last 20 years, and Intel and AMD are following suit.

CPU progress has been held back quite a bit by x86 architecture.

In fact, Intel already were working on a similar type of architecture.

The M1 makes a mockery of everything else. It's got comparable performance to an NVidia T4 for neutral network training, which is insane.

Having the ram on the same die gives or extraordinary memory performance.

plaamook

21 Jan 2022

avasopht wrote:
21 Jan 2022
plaamook wrote:
21 Jan 2022

Don’t even joke.
The M1 is one of the most important CPU shake ups in the last 20 years, and Intel and AMD are following suit.

CPU progress has been held back quite a bit by x86 architecture.

In fact, Intel already were working on a similar type of architecture.

The M1 makes a mockery of everything else. It's got comparable performance to an NVidia T4 for neutral network training, which is insane.

Having the ram on the same die gives or extraordinary memory performance.
Oh hey, don't get me wrong, I get it's significance and I'm saving up for one.
I was kinda kidding along with the M2 thing but Apple do have a history of shuffling people along whether they want it or not and often unnecessarily on the user end of it all.
Like three lenses on an iPhone that cost's a grand. Can't they make an iPhone with one lens that cost 300-400?
And really, I prob won't even scratch the surface of using all the power of an M1 chip but my comps 10 years old now. Nearly.
Purring like a kitten, but still...

Or here.

plaamook

21 Jan 2022

moneykube wrote:
21 Jan 2022
plaamook wrote:
21 Jan 2022
Sign? Well, I guess we could start a petition.
Make good entry level stuff again.
That said, the new MBP and the mini iPhones....I actually want some new toys after many years of feeling disgusted with the direction of it all.
I just can't afford any of it any more. Literally. The whole market just left me behind in ten years.

Or here.

WaxTrax

21 Jan 2022

I know people were half/not-joking about M1, but keep in mind that "M1" and "M2" are just marketing terms for Apple Silicon, which is in the "arm64" architecture family, just like "Intel Core" is marketing within the "x86/x64" architecture family. In other words, M2 will still use the base architecture as M1, just like new generations of Intel Core use the same base architecture as the previous generation.

New OS compatibility aside, there's no reason why something compiled on the M1 won't run on the M2. The reverse may not be true, though.

Eprom

21 Jan 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
21 Jan 2022
I know people were half/not-joking about M1, but keep in mind that "M1" and "M2" are just marketing terms for Apple Silicon, which is in the "arm64" architecture family, just like "Intel Core" is marketing within the "x86/x64" architecture family. In other words, M2 will still use the base architecture as M1, just like new generations of Intel Core use the same base architecture as the previous generation.

New OS compatibility aside, there's no reason why something compiled on the M1 won't run on the M2. The reverse may not be true, though.
The point is that Reason is STILL not optimised for the M1.
M1 Macs have been available for the public since October 2020 and for developers even longer. But what really annoys people is that the promise of releasing an optimised Reason is pushed further and further along.

(But hey, it took RS only 11 years to implement high resolution after the first Macs with a Retina display) :?
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

WaxTrax

21 Jan 2022

Those damned whiny Mac users! :lol:

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2022

rm.PNG
rm.PNG (16.66 KiB) Viewed 18992 times

Looking at the above comparison, I can understand why people frustrated and concerned.

After two months, the revised RM decreased scope and pushed out things by 3-5 months.
It appears the original RM did not include for the new bassplayer and new effect device (i.e not so transparent after all).

I'm concerned with the Hi-Res and More Combinator Styles - as perhaps Reason considers such completed already?

The modifications to the RM show a general push towards more new devices, rather than addressing any QOL/workflow or sequencer updates. This probably amplifies the community's (at least ReasonTalk community) general sense that RS is not listening and that such requests will not be entertained or implemented.

I see such Road Maps as a means to be transparent, raise excitement and manage user expectations. I don't think either of two has managed to do so effectively. It may be better to take this Road Map with a grain of salt and not concern yourself with it at all.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Eprom

22 Jan 2022

However you look at it, it is very clear that Reason 12 was NOT ready for release.
RS should have waited 6 months or so and release a complete, stable version rather than a faulty, crippled version and get a lot of flak from the user base. This does more harm to the brand.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Jan 2022

moneykube wrote:
21 Jan 2022
plaamook wrote:
21 Jan 2022
I was a fanboy of Jobs back in 1990-95 when he ran NeXT, I had two computers. Then he blew it and moved to Apple and I lost interest.

Tinnitus

26 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Jan 2022
rm.PNG

Looking at the above comparison, I can understand why people frustrated and concerned.

The modifications to the RM show a general push towards more new devices, rather than addressing any QOL/workflow or sequencer updates. This probably amplifies the community's (at least ReasonTalk community) general sense that RS is not listening and that such requests will not be entertained or implemented.
This is really interesting. I'm not getting worried just yet as devices are probably easier to develop in isolation and by a different team. Issues arise, as we know, and can push dates out.
QOL improvements are a huge thing to me ( as a sequencer user) though so am watching and waiting.

orthodox
RE Developer

26 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
18 Jan 2022
I speculate that 12.2.4 will be out before the end of Jan.
My bet wins :puf_smile:

Creativemind

26 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Jan 2022
rm.PNG

After two months, the revised RM decreased scope and pushed out things by 3-5 months.
It appears the original RM did not include for the new bassplayer and new effect device (i.e not so transparent after all).

I'm concerned with the Hi-Res and More Combinator Styles - as perhaps Reason considers such completed already?

I see such Road Maps as a means to be transparent, raise excitement and manage user expectations. I don't think either of two has managed to do so effectively. It may be better to take this Road Map with a grain of salt and not concern yourself with it at all.
Yeah, these roadmaps have been a shambles but I would've thought they'd have released a new new revised roadmap by now.

An update must be surely imminent, maybe next Wednesday, 2nd Feb? they seem to favour Wednesday's for some Reason, why is that do people think?

It's going on forever. That Smart Browser can't be done can it? (as Ryan kinda hinted it was) as it's better but nowhere near smart yet in my opinion, not if you compare it to other 21st century daws. Smart would be an audio wave display with looping and loop any part and play from anywhere, pitch shifting, tempo matching with half speed / double speed, dots next to previously auditioned samples, refresh button for folders, dB reading on volume slider, remember browser state etc. Oh and all audio changes (tempo match, pitch shift etc) apply to the sample when you drop it onto a sequencer track.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Tinnitus

27 Jan 2022

Creativemind wrote:
26 Jan 2022
It's going on forever. That Smart Browser can't be done can it? (as Ryan kinda hinted it was) as it's better but nowhere near smart yet in my opinion, not if you compare it to other 21st century daws. Smart would be an audio wave display with looping and loop any part and play from anywhere, pitch shifting, tempo matching with half speed / double speed, dots next to previously auditioned samples, refresh button for folders, dB reading on volume slider, remember browser state etc. Oh and all audio changes (tempo match, pitch shift etc) apply to the sample when you drop it onto a sequencer track.
A smart browser should also include a clever way to manage patches for instrument patches on both dusk and within refills.

moofi

27 Jan 2022

Once again, I´m actually happy to be able to use Reason 12 now. I don´t really gaf if it´s a half baked release. If it didn´t work I would have continued using Reason 7 instead.
Now it´s like I can create complex combinators and also have a zoom feature (a charm compared to 100% view). All of what I wouldn´t be able to do if it was released in several months.
The only ones having a legit reason to complain in my eyes are those seeing themselves sort of forced to buy into 12 because of the increase in update price.
For the rest, especially those who didn´t even get 12 yet, just keep on going with whatsoever version you are currently on as that is only what you would be able to work with anyway if 12 wasn´t already released by now.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jan 2022

moofi wrote:
27 Jan 2022
For the rest, especially those who didn´t even get 12 yet, just keep on going with whatsoever version you are currently on as that is only what you would be able to work with anyway if 12 wasn´t already released by now.
How to cope with the toxic thought about missed opportunities, what could have been but never happened?

moofi

27 Jan 2022

Possibly play along with Antidote? ;-)
orthodox wrote:
27 Jan 2022
How to cope with the toxic thought about missed opportunities, what could have been but never happened?

rootwheel

28 Jan 2022

Eprom wrote:
21 Jan 2022
M1 Macs have been available for the public since October 2020 and for developers even longer. But what really annoys people is that the promise of releasing an optimised Reason is pushed further and further along.

(But hey, it took RS only 11 years to implement high resolution after the first Macs with a Retina display) :?
The mess they've made out of Reason 12 doesn't instil me with a lot of confidence they'll have a solid ARM build ready any time soon - or that they will release it for free for current license holders like they did with Reason 3.0.5. They really had their shit together back in 2006; released separate Intel and PPC builds to keep things running as fast as possible:
Reason 3.0.5 will only be available in the Intel format, and will not run on PowerPC-based Mac computers. This is contrary to Apple's recommendation to developers, which is to ship a combined PPC and Intel-Mac application in a package called a Universal Binary. Based on the Propellerheads' commitment to always provide the highest possible performance on all computer platforms supported, Propellerhead made the decision to deviate from Apple's recommendation. A Universal Binary actually contains two compiled applications, one for PPC and one for Intel. To create a Universal Binary, Propellerhead would need to use Apple's XCode compiler for both the PPC and Intel versions of the program. By contrast, the shipping version of Reason for PPC computers (version 3.0.4) is compiled with Motorola's CodeWarrior compiler. Unfortunately, internal performance testing shows that compiling Reason for PPC using Apple's XCode compiler creates a significantly slower program than the shipping 3.0.4 version that is available today. For this reason it has been decided to keep the two versions separate for the time being. While this creates a small inconvenience in that users have to manually determine which version is the right one to install, this is by far outshined by the advantages of having maximum performance.

QVprod

28 Jan 2022

rootwheel wrote:
28 Jan 2022
Eprom wrote:
21 Jan 2022

The mess they've made out of Reason 12 doesn't instil me with a lot of confidence they'll have a solid ARM build ready any time soon - or that they will release it for free for current license holders like they did with Reason 3.0.5. They really had their shit together back in 2006; released separate Intel and PPC builds to keep things running as fast as possible:
Let's put in perspective that most developers in the audio/music world have only JUST recently been supporting M1 within the last few months. Less than a year. Many still do not. Slate Digital and Native Instruments come to mind as only running on Rosetta. RS being slow on things is typical, but in this case with M1, they're very much on pace with everyone else.

Grimlucky

01 Feb 2022

QVprod wrote:
28 Jan 2022
rootwheel wrote:
28 Jan 2022

Let's put in perspective that most developers in the audio/music world have only JUST recently been supporting M1 within the last few months. Less than a year. Many still do not. Slate Digital and Native Instruments come to mind as only running on Rosetta. RS being slow on things is typical, but in this case with M1, they're very much on pace with everyone else.
The Ableton M1 update dropped today and working nicely, hope Reason isn't too far behind as it means running Ableton in Rosetta mode if you still want to use the RPP.

QVprod

01 Feb 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
01 Feb 2022
QVprod wrote:
28 Jan 2022

The Ableton M1 update dropped today and working nicely, hope Reason isn't too far behind as it means running Ableton in Rosetta mode if you still want to use the RPP.
Hopefully, they're able to maintain the May timeline. Or even earlier would be a welcome surprise.

jlgrimes

12 Feb 2022

Eprom wrote:
21 Jan 2022
WaxTrax wrote:
21 Jan 2022

October 2020 isn't that long ago.

We already seen how RS had went back on their promise of an updated browser, so I wouldnt expect them to quickly implement a very different CPU architecture change.

M1, they can't fall back on but they don't want to implement it quickly and introduce new bugs probably even to Windows users. I'm guessing they are using that time to rework their engine regardless.

mimidancer

17 Mar 2022

VST3? Any news?

deeplink
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2022

mimidancer wrote:
17 Mar 2022
VST3? Any news?
At the time of this writing, it's still set for May. As per the roadmap
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information