I miss the times when Reason started in less than 5secs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
arnigretar

13 Jan 2022

@ orthodox -- yeah, i know :-) was just trying to be funny. But that was off topic! So to stay on topic -- it takes Reason 12 on my computer 18 seconds to load. And that is not with "license update" , so I guess with it (because I just did that this morning)... it would be around 30 seconds.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

selig
RE Developer

13 Jan 2022

I should add I don't miss having to find an empty reel of tape and thread it up and then wind to an empty spot and hope there was enough time left for another song (after powering on all the studio gear). Or if I have an idea for a drum track, I don't miss dragging the drums into the studio, setting them up, then spending another few hours getting sounds fine tuned. Or many other scenarios that do not compare favorably to working with software!

To sum things up, I am not willing to trade a few seconds launch time for the current feature set we have today…and anyone who wants a 5 sec launch time can get it by running an older version of Reason! ;)

(for the record it takes me 15 seconds from the desktop, but only 10-11 seconds from the log in screen, exactly the same as it has for the past 4-5 versions IIRC)
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

13 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
13 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
13 Jan 2022
Well... the login screen loads fast :lol:
The rest takes 7 seconds for me (an empty project).
Takes about 15-30 seconds after login for me. The few Waves plugins I have seem to be the hold up in my case.

I’m really not bothered by it though.

integerpoet

13 Jan 2022

avasopht wrote:
13 Jan 2022
I could authorize the machine…
Is that still a thing?

I vaguely remember I did it once years ago and then promptly found reason to wipe that system and start over.

And I forgot to un-authorize the "machine" first and couldn't authorize the "new" machine once the system reinstall finished.

Is there something I can do all these years later to climb out of that hole I dug under myself?

I bet there's a support page and I'm just too lazy to go look for it.

moneykube

13 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
13 Jan 2022
avasopht wrote:
13 Jan 2022
I could authorize the machine…
Is that still a thing?

I vaguely remember I did it once years ago and then promptly found reason to wipe that system and start over.

And I forgot to un-authorize the "machine" first and couldn't authorize the "new" machine once the system reinstall finished.

Is there something I can do all these years later to climb out of that hole I dug under myself?

I bet there's a support page and I'm just too lazy to go look for it.
I think you mark the computer lost but you may have to make a support ticket... it was easy when it happened to me long ago... don't quite remember the steps I took.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

gullum

13 Jan 2022

Loque wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Do you remember the time, when you had an idea and quickly wanted to give it a try in Reason? You clicked the icon and bam, Reason was there.

Now...
* After 20secs i realize that i need to click "Login"...ok, my bad, that i need to click that stuff...isnt it?
* Uhhh...another daily license update. Yea, another 60secs to wait if the connection works...
* Cool, now lets run....nope, there is some crappy VST which needs to be rescanned...another 60secs
* Now, now, i can work...nope...just give it a few secs more until everything is ready

Ok. Clicked the icon, waited for more than 2 minutes, forgot the idea, closed Reason. Thanks. :clap: :thumbup:

I hope this will be better in future ;-)
don't worry if you can't remember the idea after Reason is finally loaded it wasn't good enough anyway :D
Last edited by gullum on 13 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

raymondh

13 Jan 2022

I understand the frustration.
When you want to capture a creative thought before it sails off to the sunset, every second counts!

Apart from the start-up time, Reason is brilliant at quickly getting to the tools to capture new ideas.
I use Reaper for my main DAW now, and on one hand it is lightning quick launch (even with dozens of VSTs), but after it has started, it's not as swift to capture ideas as Reason.

Starting up the first Reason Rack Plug-in is a turn off. After the first though, additional RRP instances are quick to load.

This is also where it's good to have a hardware synth, that you can turn on and quickly try out ideas. No sluggishness, unexpected delays due to user registration, internet outages, i/o competing with virus scanning, unexpected system updates etc. (Although my analog synths do have warm up phases- so I leave em on!)

ScuzzyEye

13 Jan 2022

I was curious how Reason's start up time compared to the other two DAWs I use most often.

Reason, from clicking the icon on the start menu until I can click devices in the browser: 7.4 seconds.
Studio One, from clicking the icon until I can click New Song: 11.2 seconds
Reaper, from clicking the icon until my default template loads: 8.2 seconds

I imagine everyone else's results would vary widely, even for these same programs. I have Reason set to not require me to log in, and it starts with a completely empty song. Studio One is currently scanning 844 plugins at start, and then listing all the stuff its doing. My default Reaper template has two plugins on the master bus, and eight more on the Monitor FX listen bus. But this is how I use the programs every time I start them.

Reason seems like it takes longer, but I think that's because there's no progress bar. Just the splash screen sitting there, and then instantly dropping into the full program. But also Studio One really does seem like it takes forever, even though it's constantly updating me with details. Reaper feels quick, its splash screen shows first, and then stays over the program window telling me the plug-ins that are being loaded, then when it disappears the program is ready to use.

bxbrkrz

13 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
13 Jan 2022
Cinemascope-like wide pad.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

raymondh

14 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
13 Jan 2022
I was curious how Reason's start up time compared to the other two DAWs I use most often.

Reason, from clicking the icon on the start menu until I can click devices in the browser: 7.4 seconds.
Reaper, from clicking the icon until my default template loads: 8.2 seconds

I imagine everyone else's results would vary widely, even for these same programs. I have Reason set to not require me to log in, and it starts with a completely empty song. Studio One is currently scanning 844 plugins at start, and then listing all the stuff its doing. My default Reaper template has two plugins on the master bus, and eight more on the Monitor FX listen bus. But this is how I use the programs every time I start them.

Reason seems like it takes longer, but I think that's because there's no progress bar. Just the splash screen sitting there, and then instantly dropping into the full program. But also Studio One really does seem like it takes forever, even though it's constantly updating me with details. Reaper feels quick, its splash screen shows first, and then stays over the program window telling me the plug-ins that are being loaded, then when it disappears the program is ready to use.

For me its:

After a reboot:
Reason (version 11) - 27 seconds
Reaper - 8 seconds

And thereafter:
Reason - 18 seconds
Reaper - 3.3 seconds

DaveyG

14 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
13 Jan 2022
A couple of Studio One startup tips:
You can disable plug-in scanning at startup in "options - locations - VST plugins". It makes a huge difference, especially if you have a lot of VSTs.
You can disable services you never use in "options - advanced - services". You can turn off any or all of VST2, VST3, Rewire, ARA, CD Burning, Windows Audio and others. Not really sure how much difference this one makes but the startup page is cleaner.

My S1 starts in about half the time of Reason but it's still only a matter of seconds for both. It's not something that stresses me out. I'd like the option to turn off the Reason splash screen on the plugin version though. I'd also like the ability to skip the Start page in Studio One and go straight to a default template!

Anyway, back on topic. For me there are two irritations with Reason startup time. Periodically and with no apparent cause it complains about licences and I have to Sync All again, even though I have not changed anything about the REs. No demos, rentals etc. I also sometimes see it scanning VSTs as if something has changed or been added but nothing has. These two are both bugs that did not happen in V10 (I'm on V11) and they both dramatically slow down the loading time.

reasonwhy

14 Jan 2022

I'm using a computer from 2016 with an Intel i5-6400 CPU, 8GB RAM and Windows 10 - just meeting the recommended requirements to run the software.

Reason 12.2.3 starts in 11.5 seconds. The first versions of Reason 12 were a lot slower as I remember.

Ableton 10 starts in about 30 seconds, usually longer.

Billy+

18 Jan 2022

I thought that I would time R11 today, and from the click on signing it took 54 seconds to display...

ArcoZ

18 Jan 2022

15 sec when opening first time in the windows session
7 sec when reopening
(I don't use VST plugins)

Majestik Monkey

18 Jan 2022

Reason 11.3.9 !

1st Boot up of the day !
about 17 seconds ,
2nd boot up , much much quicker :thumbup:

i have many VSTi & vst Fx too :twisted:

Marc64

18 Jan 2022

Loading times :D

raymondh

18 Jan 2022

Marc64 wrote:
18 Jan 2022
Awesome!
The speedloader was such a breakthrough!

I remember Impossible Mission used to take 20 minutes to load from the tape drive. It was a 50 kb load! And that was with your fingers crossed that the Commodore 64 tape drive heads hadn't slipped out of alignment, causing the load to fail part way through :D

Of course at the end, it was all worth it. The C64 rocks!

demt

19 Jan 2022

Thanks a bunch reason won't scan for re,s in the name of speed, I need reason to scan re s
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Marc64

19 Jan 2022

raymondh wrote:
18 Jan 2022
Marc64 wrote:
18 Jan 2022
Awesome!
The speedloader was such a breakthrough!

I remember Impossible Mission used to take 20 minutes to load from the tape drive. It was a 50 kb load! And that was with your fingers crossed that the Commodore 64 tape drive heads hadn't slipped out of alignment, causing the load to fail part way through :D

Of course at the end, it was all worth it. The C64 rocks!
I remember loading Castle of terror and when the screen turned white I had to rewind the tape alittle and press play again and so on and so on, took sometimes forever :D
And yeah the c64 rocks! :D

• Information