Word(s) / Challenge of the month - "UNUSED GEAR"- (january)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TheGodOfRainbows

17 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
17 Jan 2022
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
17 Jan 2022

Sounds nice! How do you like the VPS Avenger? Curious as to why you picked out that synth since there are so many out there. Are you going to make more tracks using URE's, or is this a one track experiment?

One reason Rob Papen's devices are among my lesser used Re's is because of the GUI. I really dislike RP's GUIs. The labels always seem too small, or use a hard to see font, or something. Otherwise, they are pretty good devices. Out of the devices you used in this track, which ones to you think you have the most renewed interest in? I would say for me, Nostromo is the one that needs more attention because it is so different.
So far i have been very impressed with VPS avenger and have had an eye on it for a while. It being on sale and me winning a bit of money on a free bet made buying it now a no brainer (not that i endorse betting). I picked it as the number of filters, lfo's available etc means i can create things in that where i would require 2 serums etc. The various amount of available options like mod envelopes, lfo, arps, filters, fx slots etc means i can do all sorts of sound design and this flexibility appealed to me.

I am for sure going to make more tracks with URE. Of the above i am going to learn Nostromo and will be using VK1, Wave, Stringwerk and Predator 2 more often.

I agree about the GUi and will probably use Predator 2 more for small tweaks of presets than flat out sound design. Boom 808 was nice to use but cannot see it replacing Kong, Redrum or live's drum rack and i have better options than Subboombase imo. Overall good fun doing this challenge.
I never even heard of VPS until your post. Amazing how much variety and choice there is out there. Stringwerk is pretty nice and a one of a kind Re. I'd like to see how you incorporate it into other songs along with synths.

TheGodOfRainbows

17 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Jan 2022
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
17 Jan 2022

Odd Particles is actually a very apt name because I was thinking as I was listening than this is indeed an odd sounding track. Fun to listen to. Playful. I like what you did with that vox-ish sound at around 0:32. Nice sounding mix. Good stuff. I'm curious how you used Echobode. Is there a specific spot that clearly utilizes it? I've always wanted echobode, and eventually I think I'll get it. Any reason its in your less-used gear pile? Is it like a one trick pony?
Thanks man.
I can't really see a particular reason I haven't played with Echobode more. Again I probably have too much stuff. I still don't really know how much Echobode capable of to be honest. But I think it's more than a one trick pony. At least that's my impression.
I did a quick example of the two places Echobode were used in the track.
On the first bass line you can hear the effect being turned on/up at the end (0:06-0:08).
The blip bloppy part. First no effect/dry (0:10). Then only effect/all wet (0:14). Then mixed together like it is in the actual track (0:18).

I suspect I'll throw in Echobode here and there in the future when I want something a bit weird.

Btw you should join the challenge. I know you're busy with other projects. But nowhere does it say the challenge has to be a full track. It could be a 20 second random experiment with something you haven't used much. Just saying. :puf_smile:
That was nice of you to render that example of your use of echobode. Thanks! It's an interesting effect and one that I previously thought was good primarily for percussion. Good to know it can be used on pitched instruments.
Thanks for the invitation to participate, but yeah, I have like 2.5 projects worth of stuff that I'm so overdo on finishing that I feel mentally blocked from starting anything else. I might change my mind. God knows I qualify for participating in this challenge as I have several devices that I've never made good use of. I'll think about it! :puf_bigsmile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2022

Did an alternative version of my song. Since most of it stems from the old version but goes in a somewhat different direction I decided to call it Odd Particle Mutation.
Not sure it's better. Still kept some of the experimentation in mind while making this version. But I feel like it's at least somewhat more cohesive. Many parts for this track were generated with Players: Bassline Generator, Evolution, Beatmap (generated the blip bloppy note rhythm). As always with players, you kind of have to tweak notes here and there to make things work.

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

Managed to get a 2nd track done.

Unused rack extensions :
Umpf Club Drums
Kong
Rostnomo Random Synth
Monotone
Complex1
Stringwerk

VST: Viper
Samples: Amen Break

Quarmat
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2022

I could not make a track for December, because lack of time, but in January I began working on a track with some gear i never o rarley use. It was about using presets from refills i bought and never browsed. Found a pair of nice synth sounds and began working on a 16 bar loop. Then I got carried away and this is the result. I am still working on the vocals, so this is the instrumental edit because otherwise I would have missed the deadline for this challenge. Have a nice day!

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

Quarmat wrote:
30 Jan 2022
I could not make a track for December, because lack of time, but in January I began working on a track with some gear i never o rarley use. It was about using presets from refills i bought and never browsed. Found a pair of nice synth sounds and began working on a 16 bar loop. Then I got carried away and this is the result. I am still working on the vocals, so this is the instrumental edit because otherwise I would have missed the deadline for this challenge. Have a nice day!

That's very funky, cool track. It sounds great as an instrumental so look forward to hearing it once the vocals are added.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Managed to get a 2nd track done.

Unused rack extensions :
Umpf Club Drums
Kong
Rostnomo Random Synth
Monotone
Complex1
Stringwerk

VST: Viper
Samples: Amen Break

Nice to see a second track. Cool tune. :thumbs_up:
Would be interesting to know which sounds come from Rostnomo, Monotone and Complex-1.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

Quarmat wrote:
30 Jan 2022

Great to see you joining in as well Quarmat. Me and Popey were getting a bit lonely here as the only two participants. :puf_smile:
Nice vibe to this one. Groovy and nice melodic lines. I like the sound selection too.

Bes
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

i tried a few times to work with music processes that are unusual to me but didn't get anywhere. the tracks here sound great :)
- Certified Reason expert

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2022

Bes wrote:
31 Jan 2022
i tried a few times to work with music processes that are unusual to me but didn't get anywhere. the tracks here sound great :)
No worries Bes we all have that feeling sometimes. These are only fun challenges for the love of producing so be good to see you writing something for future challenges if you fancy it.

• Information