Word(s) / Challenge of the month - "UNUSED GEAR"- (january)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 01 Jan 2022

This months word(s): Unused Gear

I know we all have stuff that hasn't been used enough. Could be both from old purchases or recent ones from black friday for example.

There's no competition. No prizes. Everything is for the simple joy of creating and sharing our music with others.

All tools are allowed. If you're asking yourself, can I do this, am I allowed to do that? The answer is yes, you can do whatever you want. There are no rules or creative guidelines you need to follow here. It's just the "word of the month" and what your own creativity/imagination does with that.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 838
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 01 Jan 2022

i have no "unused gear" in my collection what relates to physical hardware.
what concerns me is the amount of free VST plug-ins i have. hehe.
i have a lot of them. but i am not using any of them (except occasionally 3 or 4 of them).

well, you know, living is hard. money rules the world. and when you start to explore the internet of FREE things... you just can not resist but to obtain some of FREE stuff.
so i grabbed around 100 free VSTs. shit. it is so pointless. anyway... more or less FREE stuff is not good. do not judge me for this i said. but almost every thing in life that is for free is not that good. it is not always like that. but statistically it is like that. for me the exception is UJAM's Finish Micro FREE VST plug-in. when they introduced this FREE plug-in here on RTF i just knew i will love it. so i grabbed it. installed it. and viola! a lot of my Reason project files contain this FREE plug-in.

well, that would be all from me.

ps: i so need some decent Reason RE equalizer but as far i have explored Reason's online shop... they have no decent EQ. i do not know why is this so. but damn i would love to have some really decent EQ. not only with those sliders for equalization but also with a display showing the actual play frequency graph. there are some EQs as i explored which are having both: display + knobs. but those are 3-4-5 parametric EQs. i would like to see in Reason's shop: a decent EQ having a decent display and old fashioned sliders. - i hope i was clear enough. sorry i am not that good in english language.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2210
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 01 Jan 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
01 Jan 2022
ps: i so need some decent Reason RE equalizer but as far i have explored Reason's online shop... they have no decent EQ. i do not know why is this so. but damn i would love to have some really decent EQ. not only with those sliders for equalization but also with a display showing the actual play frequency graph. there are some EQs as i explored which are having both: display + knobs. but those are 3-4-5 parametric EQs. i would like to see in Reason's shop: a decent EQ having a decent display and old fashioned sliders. - i hope i was clear enough. sorry i am not that good in english language.
Selig's Coloring EQ, Black Knight, and GQ-7 are all pretty solid EQ options imho. If you need more bands: just put more of these in series.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 838
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 01 Jan 2022

no no! not like that.

something like your first link (display) and something like this https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ueface-eq/ in one RE. that would do the thing. that would be so amazing. i really do not know why there is no such a RE in the shop. damn.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2210
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 01 Jan 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
01 Jan 2022
no no! not like that.

something like your first link (display) and something like this https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ueface-eq/ in one RE. that would do the thing. that would be so amazing. i really do not know why there is no such a RE in the shop. damn.
OK, so basically this with an included spectrum display? You could ask if the dev might want to include this in an update.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 838
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 01 Jan 2022

well something like that.
old fashioned equalization sliders with modern spectrum display.
i find sliders more useful and powerful than those 3-4-5 band knobs like Reason stock mixer has.

so basically yes. that RE you linked with spectrum display. :thumbup:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 838
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 03 Jan 2022

ok, i found, i think 2 day sago, these two REs which, if would be combined into one RE, would be the thing i am looking for:
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equaliser/

if these two would be combined into one RE this would rock the whole system FFS!!! :lol:
no, really! i really do not know why all REs and VST i have checked so far on various web pages are nothing compared to what i am looking for.
damn. am i stoopid or are people just weird or even i am too much weird?

can any one write here that is also interested into this kind of RE i am looking/searching for?
i do not want to be alone! haha :lol:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 3091
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 03 Jan 2022

This challenge might challenge me to challenge my "I'll never do challenges again" challenge.
Vlad "Party like it's 1894" 🧂

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2210
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 03 Jan 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
03 Jan 2022
ok, i found, i think 2 day sago, these two REs which, if would be combined into one RE, would be the thing i am looking for:
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equaliser/

if these two would be combined into one RE this would rock the whole system FFS!!! :lol:
You could put both of them on top of each other and route the audio in series through them as the faders and dot display from the analyser look roughly aligned to me.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 04 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
03 Jan 2022
Rising Night Wave wrote:
03 Jan 2022
ok, i found, i think 2 day sago, these two REs which, if would be combined into one RE, would be the thing i am looking for:
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/
- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equaliser/

if these two would be combined into one RE this would rock the whole system FFS!!! :lol:
You could put both of them on top of each other and route the audio in series through them as the faders and dot display from the analyser look roughly aligned to me.
Guys, not to sound rude, but maybe we could focus on the topic of the thread instead.
The topic of buying new EQs is fine, but this is not the thread for that. This thread is about using on what you already have rather than looking for new stuff.

Would love to see you guys joining the challenge. Are you in? :puf_smile:
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 04 Jan 2022

motuscott wrote:
03 Jan 2022
This challenge might challenge me to challenge my "I'll never do challenges again" challenge.
:lol:
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 04 Jan 2022

If I get the time I will be in. Got loads of rack extensions I have hardly used.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 06 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
04 Jan 2022
If I get the time I will be in. Got loads of rack extensions I have hardly used.
Awesome.
Yep me too. So much to choose from.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 08 Jan 2022

First track of 2022 for me. This is a pretty odd one. A bit of a jumbled mess. I tried my best not to overthink this one, but rather have a "anything goes" attitude about it.
Title is generated by one of those online songname generators. Seemed approriate for a song like this. Also some of you know how much I hate naming songs. :puf_smile:



Some unused (or not used enough) gear in this track:

Hydronexious
Echobode
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
SPACEXPANDER Spring Reverb
F-16 Analog Filter
ES101
Layers
Bassline Generator
Manis Iteras
Netherworld Refill

EDIT:
Listening to the track again, it's quite possible I'll rewrite some parts of the track and throw some parts away. I'm digging some parts a lot more. Mainly 1:04-1:49 och 2:05-2:37.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 11 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jan 2022
First track of 2022 for me. This is a pretty odd one. A bit of a jumbled mess. I tried my best not to overthink this one, but rather have a "anything goes" attitude about it.
Title is generated by one of those online songname generators. Seemed approriate for a song like this. Also some of you know how much I hate naming songs. :puf_smile:



Some unused (or not used enough) gear in this track:

Hydronexious
Echobode
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
SPACEXPANDER Spring Reverb
F-16 Analog Filter
ES101
Layers
Bassline Generator
Manis Iteras
Netherworld Refill

EDIT:
Listening to the track again, it's quite possible I'll rewrite some parts of the track and throw some parts away. I'm digging some parts a lot more. Mainly 1:04-1:49 och 2:05-2:37.
Sounds pretty cool to me. Interesting to see Hydronexious in there as that is the only re i own i just dont like much (personal taste i guess)

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 13 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
11 Jan 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jan 2022
First track of 2022 for me. This is a pretty odd one. A bit of a jumbled mess. I tried my best not to overthink this one, but rather have a "anything goes" attitude about it.
Title is generated by one of those online songname generators. Seemed approriate for a song like this. Also some of you know how much I hate naming songs. :puf_smile:



Some unused (or not used enough) gear in this track:

Hydronexious
Echobode
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
SPACEXPANDER Spring Reverb
F-16 Analog Filter
ES101
Layers
Bassline Generator
Manis Iteras
Netherworld Refill

EDIT:
Listening to the track again, it's quite possible I'll rewrite some parts of the track and throw some parts away. I'm digging some parts a lot more. Mainly 1:04-1:49 och 2:05-2:37.
Sounds pretty cool to me. Interesting to see Hydronexious in there as that is the only re i own i just dont like much (personal taste i guess)
Thanks. Yeah I'm the same. Hydronexious hasn't been a favorite of mine either, which is exactly why I reached for it. But I mean I don't "dislike" it. It's just that I prefer other things. Good music can still be made with it no doubt.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 15 Jan 2022

Here is my effort called U.R.E.

Wish I had more time to work on this but family life means I will not get the chance in rest of January.

rack extensions previously unused (or not used for a very long time):
Boom 808 percussion synth
Predator 2 (Rob papen)
Subboombass (Rob Papen)
Nostromo spectral synth (need to dig into this more)
Vk1 Viking synth
Wave layers Edition
Stringwerk

Vst used: VPS Avenger (bought on 10th Jan so unused until this track)


TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 17 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Here is my effort called U.R.E.

Wish I had more time to work on this but family life means I will not get the chance in rest of January.

rack extensions previously unused (or not used for a very long time):
Boom 808 percussion synth
Predator 2 (Rob papen)
Subboombass (Rob Papen)
Nostromo spectral synth (need to dig into this more)
Vk1 Viking synth
Wave layers Edition
Stringwerk

Vst used: VPS Avenger (bought on 10th Jan so unused until this track)

Cool. :thumbs_up: It's surprisingly hard to figure out which sounds come from which synth. I definitely need to dig into Nostromo a bit more as well. It feels like such a huge instrument doing it's own thing. Yet I haven't used it very much. I guess that's when you know you have too much stuff. A lot of REs are screaming for my attention, but I can't explore them all at once.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 17 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Jan 2022
Popey wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Here is my effort called U.R.E.

Wish I had more time to work on this but family life means I will not get the chance in rest of January.

rack extensions previously unused (or not used for a very long time):
Boom 808 percussion synth
Predator 2 (Rob papen)
Subboombass (Rob Papen)
Nostromo spectral synth (need to dig into this more)
Vk1 Viking synth
Wave layers Edition
Stringwerk

Vst used: VPS Avenger (bought on 10th Jan so unused until this track)

Cool. :thumbs_up: It's surprisingly hard to figure out which sounds come from which synth. I definitely need to dig into Nostromo a bit more as well. It feels like such a huge instrument doing it's own thing. Yet I haven't used it very much. I guess that's when you know you have too much stuff. A lot of REs are screaming for my attention, but I can't explore them all at once.
Yeah Nostromo is really cool and made up a lot of the main parts in this song. I really need to read the manual as just tweaked the presets in this and would like to understand it better. Same applies to complex 1 as my modular knowledge is poor. This challenge brought home to me how much amazing stuff I have laying dormant. As much as grabbing that favourite synth is quick when you have an idea, I also see more clearly now how going to them forgotten instruments and fx can spark creativity if different ways.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 17 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
17 Jan 2022

Yeah Nostromo is really cool and made up a lot of the main parts in this song. I really need to read the manual as just tweaked the presets in this and would like to understand it better. Same applies to complex 1 as my modular knowledge is poor. This challenge brought home to me how much amazing stuff I have laying dormant. As much as grabbing that favourite synth is quick when you have an idea, I also see more clearly now how going to them forgotten instruments and fx can spark creativity if different ways.
I think for me this will be the year where I go back to some of my "forgotten" REs, rather than looking at new shiny toys. In a way the mishandled R12 release helped me rediscover some old REs. I was gonna upgrade initially and play around with Mimic (a new shiny toy), but with the state R12 was released in there was just no way I could bring myself to upgrade. Still can't. Still seeing comments where people revert back to R11. So here I am instead rediscovering older instruments. It has saved me money too. So I guess, thanks Reason Studios? :lol:
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 609
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 17 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jan 2022
First track of 2022 for me. This is a pretty odd one. A bit of a jumbled mess. I tried my best not to overthink this one, but rather have a "anything goes" attitude about it.
Title is generated by one of those online songname generators. Seemed approriate for a song like this. Also some of you know how much I hate naming songs. :puf_smile:



Some unused (or not used enough) gear in this track:

Hydronexious
Echobode
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
SPACEXPANDER Spring Reverb
F-16 Analog Filter
ES101
Layers
Bassline Generator
Manis Iteras
Netherworld Refill

EDIT:
Listening to the track again, it's quite possible I'll rewrite some parts of the track and throw some parts away. I'm digging some parts a lot more. Mainly 1:04-1:49 och 2:05-2:37.
Odd Particles is actually a very apt name because I was thinking as I was listening than this is indeed an odd sounding track. Fun to listen to. Playful. I like what you did with that vox-ish sound at around 0:32. Nice sounding mix. Good stuff. I'm curious how you used Echobode. Is there a specific spot that clearly utilizes it? I've always wanted echobode, and eventually I think I'll get it. Any reason its in your less-used gear pile? Is it like a one trick pony?

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 609
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 17 Jan 2022

Popey wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Here is my effort called U.R.E.

Wish I had more time to work on this but family life means I will not get the chance in rest of January.

rack extensions previously unused (or not used for a very long time):
Boom 808 percussion synth
Predator 2 (Rob papen)
Subboombass (Rob Papen)
Nostromo spectral synth (need to dig into this more)
Vk1 Viking synth
Wave layers Edition
Stringwerk

Vst used: VPS Avenger (bought on 10th Jan so unused until this track)

Sounds nice! How do you like the VPS Avenger? Curious as to why you picked out that synth since there are so many out there. Are you going to make more tracks using URE's, or is this a one track experiment?

One reason Rob Papen's devices are among my lesser used Re's is because of the GUI. I really dislike RP's GUIs. The labels always seem too small, or use a hard to see font, or something. Otherwise, they are pretty good devices. Out of the devices you used in this track, which ones to you think you have the most renewed interest in? I would say for me, Nostromo is the one that needs more attention because it is so different.

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 17 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Jan 2022
Popey wrote:
17 Jan 2022

Yeah Nostromo is really cool and made up a lot of the main parts in this song. I really need to read the manual as just tweaked the presets in this and would like to understand it better. Same applies to complex 1 as my modular knowledge is poor. This challenge brought home to me how much amazing stuff I have laying dormant. As much as grabbing that favourite synth is quick when you have an idea, I also see more clearly now how going to them forgotten instruments and fx can spark creativity if different ways.
I think for me this will be the year where I go back to some of my "forgotten" REs, rather than looking at new shiny toys. In a way the mishandled R12 release helped me rediscover some old REs. I was gonna upgrade initially and play around with Mimic (a new shiny toy), but with the state R12 was released in there was just no way I could bring myself to upgrade. Still can't. Still seeing comments where people revert back to R11. So here I am instead rediscovering older instruments. It has saved me money too. So I guess, thanks Reason Studios? :lol:
yeah that is certainly the way i am looking at things and going to deep dive into vps avenger as it offers lots of options sound design wise. Complex 1 and nostromo are also on my "to learn" list as previously mentioned.

I did not get 12 either and for the first time ever i just could not see the value in upgrading as good as mimic and the new combi are (which is great in the reason daw but not as good workflow wise in the rrp which i tend to use in live). Kinda glad with the issues I hear about but i may have been ok as it seems it affects set ups differently.

here is to 2022 the year of maximising what i have :D

Popey
Posts: 1398
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 17 Jan 2022

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
17 Jan 2022
Popey wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Here is my effort called U.R.E.

Wish I had more time to work on this but family life means I will not get the chance in rest of January.

rack extensions previously unused (or not used for a very long time):
Boom 808 percussion synth
Predator 2 (Rob papen)
Subboombass (Rob Papen)
Nostromo spectral synth (need to dig into this more)
Vk1 Viking synth
Wave layers Edition
Stringwerk

Vst used: VPS Avenger (bought on 10th Jan so unused until this track)

Sounds nice! How do you like the VPS Avenger? Curious as to why you picked out that synth since there are so many out there. Are you going to make more tracks using URE's, or is this a one track experiment?

One reason Rob Papen's devices are among my lesser used Re's is because of the GUI. I really dislike RP's GUIs. The labels always seem too small, or use a hard to see font, or something. Otherwise, they are pretty good devices. Out of the devices you used in this track, which ones to you think you have the most renewed interest in? I would say for me, Nostromo is the one that needs more attention because it is so different.
So far i have been very impressed with VPS avenger and have had an eye on it for a while. It being on sale and me winning a bit of money on a free bet made buying it now a no brainer (not that i endorse betting). I picked it as the number of filters, lfo's available etc means i can create things in that where i would require 2 serums etc. The various amount of available options like mod envelopes, lfo, arps, filters, fx slots etc means i can do all sorts of sound design and this flexibility appealed to me.

I am for sure going to make more tracks with URE. Of the above i am going to learn Nostromo and will be using VK1, Wave, Stringwerk and Predator 2 more often.

I agree about the GUi and will probably use Predator 2 more for small tweaks of presets than flat out sound design. Boom 808 was nice to use but cannot see it replacing Kong, Redrum or live's drum rack and i have better options than Subboombase imo. Overall good fun doing this challenge.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3552
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 17 Jan 2022

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
17 Jan 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jan 2022
First track of 2022 for me. This is a pretty odd one. A bit of a jumbled mess. I tried my best not to overthink this one, but rather have a "anything goes" attitude about it.
Title is generated by one of those online songname generators. Seemed approriate for a song like this. Also some of you know how much I hate naming songs. :puf_smile:



Some unused (or not used enough) gear in this track:

Hydronexious
Echobode
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
SPACEXPANDER Spring Reverb
F-16 Analog Filter
ES101
Layers
Bassline Generator
Manis Iteras
Netherworld Refill

EDIT:
Listening to the track again, it's quite possible I'll rewrite some parts of the track and throw some parts away. I'm digging some parts a lot more. Mainly 1:04-1:49 och 2:05-2:37.
Odd Particles is actually a very apt name because I was thinking as I was listening than this is indeed an odd sounding track. Fun to listen to. Playful. I like what you did with that vox-ish sound at around 0:32. Nice sounding mix. Good stuff. I'm curious how you used Echobode. Is there a specific spot that clearly utilizes it? I've always wanted echobode, and eventually I think I'll get it. Any reason its in your less-used gear pile? Is it like a one trick pony?
Thanks man.
I can't really see a particular reason I haven't played with Echobode more. Again I probably have too much stuff. I still don't really know how much Echobode capable of to be honest. But I think it's more than a one trick pony. At least that's my impression.
I did a quick example of the two places Echobode were used in the track.
On the first bass line you can hear the effect being turned on/up at the end (0:06-0:08).
The blip bloppy part. First no effect/dry (0:10). Then only effect/all wet (0:14). Then mixed together like it is in the actual track (0:18).


I suspect I'll throw in Echobode here and there in the future when I want something a bit weird.

Btw you should join the challenge. I know you're busy with other projects. But nowhere does it say the challenge has to be a full track. It could be a 20 second random experiment with something you haven't used much. Just saying. :puf_smile:
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests