Migrating from desktop to laptop

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Baylo
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2022

I'm still running Reason on an old (must be at least 12 years, at this point) desktop PC with the usual USB-A connectors on the back. Connected to them are: a Steinberg Audio interface, a MIDISport MIDI interface, and a Nektar Panorama P6, as well as the usual things like keyboard and mouse. I also have two monitors connected to DVI connectors (I told you it was old... the monitors are HDMI, but the desktop end of the cable is DVI.)

I'm considering retiring the desktop and just using my current laptop instead, which should be considerably more powerful and portable, being a 2021 Dell XPS. But it only has 2 USB-C connectors. From those I would need to run all of the above hardware. I don't really want to replace anything more than the PC itself.

Adaptors / docks obviously exist to convert USB-C to USB-A, HDMI, etc, etc. My question is, given the unique needs of audio equipment, is my goal possible and what specifications do I need to look for in an appropriate adaptor(s)? Has anyone already done this?

Many thanks for your insights!

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 642
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 16 Jan 2022

You can use docking stations (and other devices) on USB-C, giving you pretty much as many USB 3.x ports as you could possibly need. The most important thing to find out is if your audio hardware is compatible with the operating system on your laptop, which means, are there proper Windows 10 (or 11) drivers for them. That's what you need to find out.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
littlejam
Posts: 536
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2022

hello,

i am sticking with windows 7 and R10 (with R11 suite RE)
R12 requires windows10
because there are no certified windows 10 drivers for my maudio profire610 interface
i have 3 computers all running the same thing
i am happyhappy with where i am at

i would also suggest doing some research on what works with what
that would suck if you overlook something

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 1235
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 17 Jan 2022

if you are going to use the keyboard and trackpad on the laptop then you only need a USB-C hub that has a few USB-A and HDMI
Something like this would probable work
https://www.ubuy.vn/en/product/21CWDP2- ... -100w-pd-s

Baylo
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2022

Thanks for the feedback!
fullforce wrote:
16 Jan 2022
You can use docking stations (and other devices) on USB-C, giving you pretty much as many USB 3.x ports as you could possibly need. The most important thing to find out is if your audio hardware is compatible with the operating system on your laptop, which means, are there proper Windows 10 (or 11) drivers for them. That's what you need to find out.
Despite the age of the current computer, it is happily running R12 on Win10, so I should be OK with drivers. Thanks for the reminder, though.

I guess my main worry is whether the hub/port (such as that suggested by Gullum) would introduce timing problems or instability across either the audio or MIDI. It sounds like some folks have made it work, though, so I guess I should start experimenting.

Thanks again.

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 642
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 18 Jan 2022

Baylo wrote:
17 Jan 2022
I guess my main worry is whether the hub/port (such as that suggested by Gullum) would introduce timing problems or instability across either the audio or MIDI. It sounds like some folks have made it work, though, so I guess I should start experimenting.

Thanks again.
It's never going to be remotely as slow as original midi ever was! :puf_bigsmile:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Baylo
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2022

fullforce wrote:
18 Jan 2022
It's never going to be remotely as slow as original midi ever was! :puf_bigsmile:
You haven't lived until you've experienced a bunch of synths daisy-chained together with MIDI thru ports. The very definition of 'rock-solid timing'. :-D

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2022

USB hubs won’t slow anything down. I’ve got 2 powered usb3 hubs. 1, an old RadioShack hub and the other, some no name brand off of Amazon. 1 of them is actually daisy chained to the other and there’s no issues.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests