Song for a musical? Feedback please

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
gritz

09 Jan 2022

Hi all appreciate some directional critique on this track
Not sure the genre of this track could work in a musical I guess !

Hoboys

15 Jan 2022

Like your stuff, guys. Composition-wise this is complete or near-complete. Needs mastering and vocal editing/re-recording. The vocalist is overdoing the vibrato, basically doing it at the end of every phrase. Seems like it's a bad habit he's developed. Holding a note firmly and dead-centre on the tone every now and then would greatly improve his expressiveness. I like the david-bowieness of it, but the vocal sometimes misses a note by a whole tone or even more. No biggie and nothing the pitch editor can't fix. Or just let him do more takes, record when he's well-rested and warmed up with at least a half hour of simple scales.

Rising Night Wave

15 Jan 2022

okey. i will be straight: i somehow do not like your music but this has nothing to do with you or your personality. it is just the genres/styles you are playing/composing. it i snot my style at all.

but this song is good. i like it.

only the colour or how shouldi say... of vocal... i do not like that much. perhaps someone else should sing it. but it fits good into song. Hoboys said something about vicals. I find it interesting and very well fit into this song. like it would be intentionaly done that way.

otherwise about this song: it is very well balanced and very well done. almost perfect.

since the song's name is "Fever Dreams" i would make it more live. more FXes at the end of process - mastering. let's say like reverbs and so on. so song would breath more and intensevly.

well that would be all form me.
keep on good working! thumbs up.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

gritz

16 Jan 2022

Thanks for the feedback very much appreciated honest and straight responses - glad the instrumental aspect of the track appeals

Quarmat
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2022

Over the past months I came across some of your songs here on the forums and I must say I am impressed: It's a songwriting you do not encounter very often these days. There are clear skills behind your work, but also some naïvetés that (even if they bring even more fascination to me) somehow tamper your final result to the "casual" listener.
First of all it sounds too quiet! I'll strongly suggest turning on the limiter on your master chain and also compress some elements in the mix. Your songs belong to a genre that does not need a "in yer face" mastering, but I'd still like to hear more loudness overall. Speaking about the vocals, I won't judge the singing style and/or the timbrical features, but, in the mix, the vocals are too much above the rest. I get that one might want the words to be heard clearly but this is a song and voice is an instrument like the others: it should blend in the mix, not being put over it.

I have to say anyway I am very interested in your songwriting, and to me it's just a matter of defining the production. Keep it up!

gritz

16 Jan 2022

Thanks for all the positive feedback and criticism please review our work on https://nightingaleexperience.bandcamp.com/

gritz

16 Jan 2022

We know our music has no specific genre and likewise we have struggled to find assistance and a producer who gets us - we know our limitations but enjoy the process

Hoboys

16 Jan 2022

gritz wrote:
16 Jan 2022
Thanks for the feedback very much appreciated honest and straight responses - glad the instrumental aspect of the track appeals
I liked the vocals too, they just need more polish. And I don't think you need a producer. A manager, more like - someone to sit down with you and write a plan of development, knock on doors for you as well as to slap you into doing ALL the things you need to do on a daily basis according to that plan, not just the parts of the process you enjoy. For instance, outsourcing mastering is possible, but no one is going to do daily practice for your vocalist, jam practice for both of you or represent you on media platforms, which, sadly, there's no way around these days. And before the manager will start knocking on doors for you, he will expect you to be able to, or at the very least be in the process of learning to perform live. Distribution is a piece of cake now, so don't worry about that. These are the things that me and my musical partner encountered, at least.

Your genre is very well defined - it's called synth pop, which coincidentally means your TA is on Spotify and iTunes, not on bandcamp.

How's your video coming along?

• Information