Recycle 3.0 when?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Whoopdee

09 Jan 2022

Logo redesign, general enhancements, etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

Whoopdee wrote:
09 Jan 2022
Logo redesign, general enhancements, etc.
When hell freezes over.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aosta

10 Jan 2022

MrFigg wrote:
10 Jan 2022
When hell freezes over.
We've heard that before :lol:
Tend the flame

motuscott

10 Jan 2022

At this rate, breath holding not recommended.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
10 Jan 2022
MrFigg wrote:
10 Jan 2022
When hell freezes over.
We've heard that before :lol:
;)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

manisnotabird

10 Jan 2022

Really no reason not to just roll it into Reason.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

manisnotabird wrote:
10 Jan 2022
Really no reason not to just roll it into Reason.
Nope. ReCycle Owners is an exclusive club. We don't let in just any old riff-raff.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

10 Jan 2022

A better question might be:
ReCycle 3.0 Why?

Because it ain't broke

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

Despite what people say they all want in on the action.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

huggermugger

10 Jan 2022

Seems most users are satisfied with the crippled version of Recycle built in to Reason. So I doubt Props has any interest in upgrading Recycle itself.

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

huggermugger wrote:
10 Jan 2022
Seems most users are satisfied with the crippled version of Recycle built in to Reason. So I doubt Props has any interest in upgrading Recycle itself.
Almost, I guess. Some threshold control, cut by time division, and reduction of steps to go from audio file to in a Dr Rex or Sampler would be nice though
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

plaamook

10 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jan 2022
A better question might be:
ReCycle 3.0 Why?

Because it ain't broke
It’s software man.
Things don’t get fixed cause they’re broke. They get fixed cause there money to be made in ‘fixing’ them.

I just wish they’d either fully integrate it w Reason or add basic editing features.

But did I not hear somewhere that it won’t work on M1 chips even w Rosetta?
Did I imagine that?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

ravasb

10 Jan 2022

It would be great if mimic could import and export rex files. That would make it a truly creative sampler.

MikeTheMan990

12 Jan 2022

ravasb wrote:
10 Jan 2022
It would be great if mimic could import and export rex files. That would make it a truly creative sampler.
YES! I cannot wrap my head around the fact that the company that INVENTED the REX file format would then go on to create a sampler that CANNOT read/import/export REX files! WHAT THE??!!

EnochLight

12 Jan 2022

MikeTheMan990 wrote:
12 Jan 2022
ravasb wrote:
10 Jan 2022
YES! I cannot wrap my head around the fact that the company that INVENTED the REX file format would then go on to create a sampler that CANNOT read/import/export REX files! WHAT THE??!!
It’s an RE SDK issue. Currently it doesn’t support REX import (hilariously). Mimic was made with the RE SDK, hence why no RE’s support REX import.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Bes
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2022

mimic can import individual REX slices just fine tho. incase anyone in this thread didn't know that already
- Certified Reason expert

Goriila Texas

12 Jan 2022

Multiple slices can be loaded into Mimic by selecting one and scroll down and shift to select up to 8 slices.

Bes wrote:
12 Jan 2022
mimic can import individual REX slices just fine tho. incase anyone in this thread didn't know that already
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 13 Jan 2022, edited 3 times in total.

Goriila Texas

13 Jan 2022

I understand RS thinking now that I figured out how to load multiple slices. Rex files are better used in Dr. Rex because in Dr rex the loop will follow the tempo automatically. RS thinking is when you want to play around with loops that can be triggered by midi and follow the tempo use Dr octo-rex and when you want to chop up or use the drums from a break individual slice use Mimic.

Edit: RRP Dr Rex follows the tempo in Studio One I turned the tempo down to 10 and the stretch is crazy good!!!

MikeTheMan990 wrote:
12 Jan 2022
ravasb wrote:
10 Jan 2022

EnochLight

13 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
13 Jan 2022
I understand RS thinking now that I figured out how to load multiple slices. Rex files are better used in Dr. Rex because in Dr rex the loop will follow the tempo automatically. RS thinking is when you want to play around with loops that can be triggered by midi and follow the tempo use Dr octo-rex and when you want to chop up or use the drums from a break individual slice use Mimic.
I absolutely agree that Octo is a better REX player, but that’s not RS’s thinking at all IMHO. Literally the only reason is because the RE SDK doesn’t support REX import - period (and Mimic was built with it). This is a QOL issue that absolutely needs to be fixed, as many users have years and years of REX library files that they can’t properly import into Mimic without going through workflow killing workarounds.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
13 Jan 2022
I absolutely agree that Octo is a better REX player, but that’s not RS’s thinking at all IMHO. Literally the only reason is because the RE SDK doesn’t support REX import - period (and Mimic was built with it). This is a QOL issue that absolutely needs to be fixed, as many users have years and years of REX library files that they can’t properly import into Mimic without going through workflow killing workarounds.
I'm think it can be fixed with some workflow enhancements

RS already circumvented the need to drag a sample into the sequencer, chop it up and then export as sample. So so I'm sure they could do the same with Rex Loop?

e.g If you drag a rex file onto the rack, a context menu will pop up where you can decide to Create New Dr Rex, or Create New Mimic etc.. If Mimic is selected, Reason can run a script that automatically converts the Dr Rex to wave, stores it and then loads it into a Mimic.

I would love to see the above happening with just wave files - in that you can drag them directly into the rack, and decide on your instrument of choice later.

It's a weird workflow Reason has, in that in other DAW's you simply say "I want a snare", grab a snare and start playing with it. With Reason its more along the lines of, "I want a snare, what instrument am I going to use?", then grab that instrument, exit out of the default browsing, then go find your snare and load it up.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Aquila

13 Jan 2022

I can't really think of what kind of features could be implemented in Recycle 3. It's not as if RS would ever release a new version of their software with barely any functionality improvements...

Goriila Texas

13 Jan 2022

Yeah that’s true :thumbs_up:

EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
13 Jan 2022

Catblack

13 Jan 2022

MikeTheMan990 wrote:
12 Jan 2022
ravasb wrote:
10 Jan 2022
I forgot that Mimic can't... damn. I still have dreams of using the rex files I've created, going back to 2001! Back then I did a lot of stuff where I'd work in Recycle and use it very creatively there, sometimes slicing and pitching til I heard something, then bringing it into Reason. There was nothing like the Rex format, no software that could do what it did so well for a long, long time.

Not having Mimic load it up is a glaring defect.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2022

Catblack wrote:
13 Jan 2022
MikeTheMan990 wrote:
12 Jan 2022

I forgot that Mimic can't... damn. I still have dreams of using the rex files I've created, going back to 2001! Back then I did a lot of stuff where I'd work in Recycle and use it very creatively there, sometimes slicing and pitching til I heard something, then bringing it into Reason. There was nothing like the Rex format, no software that could do what it did so well for a long, long time.

Not having Mimic load it up is a glaring defect.
It's not just Mimic; it's every single Rack Extension every created - including Grain. Until RS adds the feature into the RE SDK, it shall remain as so.

jam-s

13 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
13 Jan 2022
It's a weird workflow Reason has, in that in other DAW's you simply say "I want a snare", grab a snare and start playing with it. With Reason its more along the lines of, "I want a snare, what instrument am I going to use?", then grab that instrument, exit out of the default browsing, then go find your snare and load it up.
You're totally free to drag a snare sample into the sequencer to create a new audio track and then arrange it like in any other DAW.
Reason just has many more options in comparison if you use the Rack. But if you don't want to use the Rack, you can just use the sequencer + VSTs and have Reason behave like just another DAW (while missing out pretty much on its unique features).

• Information