"I use Reason" reaction

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2022

There could be a few reasons for this;

1. The late introduction of VST's, still no VST3 support.

2. The late introduction of Audio Channels

3. The "Reason Sound" - which I believe stemmed from comparing stand-alone VST plugins to stock devices in Reason. e.g In 2007, Sylenth1 had a built in arp, chorus, phaser, distortion etc. The big sound you can get with a single patch was enormous. Reason Studios did not have a comparable stand-alone device until Reason 10 with Europa (2017).

4. The proliferation of other of other DAWs in the bedroom producer community, given that they were easily crackable

5. The marketing of RS to be 'simple' and 'fun', rather than 'technical' and 'professional'.

6. Perhaps also, Reason appears to be an ugly duckling because it wasn't - and still cannot - be easily compared to other DAWs. Previously, it technically wasn't a DAW because it did not have Audio Tracks and VST support. Now, Reason is also a Plugin. So who do you compare Reason against? Ableton? Cubase? FabFilter? Kilohearts? All of them at the same time? Reason certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the DAW's and VST's mentioned - but at the same time, none of those have the same offering of Reason.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

DaveyG

11 Jan 2022

I think Reason is just seen as a bit unfashionable, like wearing the wrong trainers.

And I agree with the sentiment expressed by some in this thread that most kids start out with free or pirated tools, because they haven't got any money. I had a copy of Cakewalk on a floppy disk and my only sound source was a Soundblaster (still a great name for a product!)

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2022

buddard wrote:
10 Jan 2022
:clap:

QVprod

11 Jan 2022

avasopht wrote:
10 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
10 Jan 2022
Very interesting! Music circles are so small.
Well ... if you were a budding talented musician who happened to have an uncle or a close family friend who had resources and connections, you're probably going to get easy access.

What ends up happening is that you quickly end up with tightly knit networks across the generations.

Things might change now that it's much more accessible, but even with a more level playing field, those connections make a huge difference.

I've seen it here in the UK. It's such a small world
Agreed if he was able to tap into that. I don’t think this family connection is widely known, which makes it more surprising. First I’ve heard of it at least.

QVprod

11 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
10 Jan 2022
There’s always been this really weird elitism. Got on the PUF around 2009 and saw silly debates about the “reason sound”. It’s just never changed.
Not much changed - from earlier today, the "reason sound" argument just won't die!
viewtopic.php?p=592486#p592486
Just saw an “engineer” post a video today ranking DAWs by sound quality… yeah it never ends lol

Loque

11 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
10 Jan 2022
There’s always been this really weird elitism. Got on the PUF around 2009 and saw silly debates about the “reason sound”. It’s just never changed.
Not much changed - from earlier today, the "reason sound" argument just won't die!
Ppl still can beat math with their ears...
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Jan 2022

Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2022
selig wrote:
10 Jan 2022

Ppl still can beat math with their ears...
Ears play no role in the evaluation, muted by a prejudice.

ProfessaKaos

11 Jan 2022

A good song doesn't care what you use to make it... and nether do people.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

SoulState

11 Jan 2022

ProfessaKaos wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Exactly!
:reason:

Creativemind

11 Jan 2022

gullum wrote:
09 Jan 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
09 Jan 2022

Yeah, pretty much like so. Reason 12 is million times more powerful, than what it used to be. I'd even say, that there's no excuse anymore to blame Reason, for not being able to make hit-music.
One could replace all the stocks with any REs or VSTs now. The bottlenecks have become different - regarding bad music. A superb music in the quality-wise is possible. :cool:
Re or VST has never been what makes hit music it's the person making the music that makes the hits.

It has never been what instrument is used but the person playing it.
The DAW is not making any hits except maybe now the player in reason will make a hit that the "creator" can't recreate if he mistakenly deletes it
There's some truth in what you say. I mean you can make phenomenal patches with a Combinator, Thor, Europa and / or a SubTractor or 2 + effects but you need to really know what you're doing to achieve it, whereas someone with an ear for music but a novice in synthesis / sound design can open Sylenth, Serum, Diva, Dune 3 etc and quite easily tweak a patch that just inspires in 5 minutes and it's a patch that's BIG and blows you away. That one sound can then spur you on to add another sound - bass, pads / strings etc then you're in. Add drums and you're flying. It all comes from one inspirational patch.

The other big draw back, is being able to lay that idea down quickly and build the song up, the arrangement. Reason is quick in some respects but things missing like linked clips and automation (say after duplicating a clip 20 times and then you decide you want a different chord at point A or a melody line to have 2 or 3 different notes in it than you originally decided) you have to then painstakingly delete all your duplicated clips etc, every other daw has pooled / linked / aliased clips and automation which saves you a tedious task and also drawing your own automation, creating your own shortcuts etc. These ease of life things enable you to keep the creativity flowing without stopping you in your tracks.

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

demt

11 Jan 2022

It depends on the size of your organ I've got a nektar gxp 88 and it really makes reason wail n groan,honest the extra range makes those circits hum as I stretch the pitch
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

ScuzzyEye

11 Jan 2022

Creativemind wrote:
11 Jan 2022
The other big draw back, is being able to lay that idea down quickly and build the song up, the arrangement. Reason is quick in some respects but things missing like linked clips and automation (say after duplicating a clip 20 times and then you decide you want a different chord at point A or a melody line to have 2 or 3 different notes in it than you originally decided) you have to then painstakingly delete all your duplicated clips etc, every other daw has pooled / linked / aliased clips and automation which saves you a tedious task and also drawing your own automation, creating your own shortcuts etc. These ease of life things enable you to keep the creativity flowing without stopping you in your tracks.
We do have Blocks. If you edit the sequences used in a block, they're automatically reflected everywhere that block is used. My preferred way to work is lay out the song in blocks, and then if some part needs to be different for just a couple instruments put an overlaying sequence in the Song view.

Ottostrom

11 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Creativemind wrote:
11 Jan 2022
We do have Blocks. If you edit the sequences used in a block, they're automatically reflected everywhere that block is used. My preferred way to work is lay out the song in blocks, and then if some part needs to be different for just a couple instruments put an overlaying sequence in the Song view.
Really wish there was a way to layer multiple blocks in the sequencer. Then you could use it for linked editing in even more cases. As it is now I mostly put my chorus vocals in a block so I can at least skip the copy/paste every time I make a slight vocal edit on those.

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Jan 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Really wish there was a way to layer multiple blocks in the sequencer. Then you could use it for linked editing in even more cases. As it is now I mostly put my chorus vocals in a block so I can at least skip the copy/paste every time I make a slight vocal edit on those.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I've been asking that for a decade already.

Creativemind

11 Jan 2022

Eddi-16 wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Creativemind wrote:
11 Jan 2022

There's some truth in what you say. I mean you can make phenomenal patches with a Combinator, Thor, Europa and / or a SubTractor or 2 + effects but you need to really know what you're doing to achieve it, whereas someone with an ear for music but a novice in synthesis / sound design can open Sylenth, Serum, Diva, Dune 3 etc and quite easily tweak a patch that just inspires in 5 minutes and it's a patch that's BIG and blows you away. That one sound can then spur you on to add another sound - bass, pads / strings etc then you're in. Add drums and you're flying. It all comes from one inspirational patch.

Yes, we need really workflow improvements. Its really missing. Reason has no nice "on the fly jam" flow. From an UX perspective, it feels unordered and some kind of outdated.
At least the UI is outstanding...
:thumbs_up:

The rack and main mixer look great but the sequencer could look better. I preferred the old transport than the one that came with 8 but used to it now. The clips aren't too bad or the ruler and locators but think the side bit where you label etc (what is that part called, the inspector?) could be improved.

Creativemind

11 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Creativemind wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Yes, if you use Blocks but never really used them and although similar, it's not linking clips as I described. Nearly mentioned it as I knew someone would. ;)

Goriila Texas

11 Jan 2022

That's true and why I said in another thread I respect those who completely produce in Reason start to finish because it just stinks as far as workflow. With all due respect I question the sanity of the users who work solely in Reason. I mean the mentality of the user that readjust panning, output channel, level you get the picture a total reset every time they load a sample in Kong is the definition of madness. I respect you dudes who can't hover over a mixer knob, fader, in the sequencer or audio track and turn, move up/down, zoom in/out or stretch audio with the mouse wheel in Reason. Y'all working in that janky browser that been updated three times lol. Then the CEO acting like Reason is Live or Studio One wondering why nobody wants to subscribe :lol: The whole outside world makes fun of Reason because it's a software that's been put together like Frankenstein :lol:

And just because Drake daddy use Reason don't mean shyt because it's a lot of bullshiet music on the radio. Being on the radio or in the studio working don't mean shyt to me cuz I'll battle any mf in hip hop, R&B , Soul and I don't put any music out professionally. I got beats from 2015 that'll kill the bullshiet on the radio. My only problem was mixing and I've figured that out.

Tequila!!!

I'ma turn my link back on and I do have a YouTube with battle beats with the same name from years ago I'm way better now.
ProfessaKaos wrote:
11 Jan 2022

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
11 Jan 2022
And just because Drake daddy use Reason don't mean shyt because it's a lot of bullshiet music on the radio. Being on the radio or in the studio working don't mean shyt to me cuz I'll battle any mf in hip hop, R&B , Soul and I don't put any music out professionally. I got beats from 2015 that'll kill the bullshiet on the radio. My only problem was mixing and I've figured that out.
Why are you keeping all this stuff to yourself?

Goriila Texas

12 Jan 2022

Not everybody wants to be a famous producer or Rockstar. Once you find out the music business is fake streaming and industry plants you take a step back and just watch. Not trying to derail this thread but there’s a hidden agenda behind rappers wearing dresses who can’t even rap and the people with no talent on the radio. To really get on in the music business you got to make a blood sacrifice and I don’t want to be around none of them demons. That’s all ima say off topic.

avasopht wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Why are you keeping all this stuff to yourself?

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2022

I have said this before but yeah, Reason still has a perception problem (and it's not exactly helped by the marketing being centred around it as a plugin). People who watch my streams are, if not producers, producer enthusiasts. They follow a lot of producers in the scene, know the terminology and lingo and all the programs. And it blows my mind how many are *still* asking "what DAW is that?". It's just not on a lot of peoples' radar. I recommend it to them with the caveat that I'm still waiting for a lot of things to come to it and reserve the right to switch back to Cubase at any given moment lol

adfielding

12 Jan 2022

I'm not going to lie, I've always kind of liked that outsider perception of Reason as something used by weirdos haha! That said, there's definitely been a perception shift from Reason being this cool, slick new thing from the earlier versions to how it's seen now. A frequent comment during that shift was that Reason is more of a toy than a serious platform for music production, and from a personal point of view I've never had a huge problem with that assessment - I've always had fun using Reason, and if you can't write something good with it then I'd say that says more about the user than Reason itself.

But yeah, I've never really seen the point in the snobbish attitudes certain folks have towards what other people happen to use. It reminds me of when I see people using amazing looking setups to create music that sounds like it was made using a bunch of free VSTs from 2001 - it's this performative obsession rather than any genuine interest in using what works best, and I get the feeling that a lot of people really buy into that for some reason.

Goriila Texas

12 Jan 2022

Reason is far behind other DAWs yes you can make music with it but you’re working harder than other DAW users it’s not even debatable. It’s like two men trying to dig a ditch and one is using a shovel and the other a spoon. Yes both will dig but the guy using a spoon is a fool. I’m not calling Reason uses fools but I do scratch my head at the rigorous workflow y’all choose to make music in.

adfielding wrote:
12 Jan 2022
I'm not going to lie, I've always kind of liked that outsider perception of Reason as something used by weirdos haha! That said, there's definitely been a perception shift from Reason being this cool, slick new thing from the earlier versions to how it's seen now. A frequent comment during that shift was that Reason is more of a toy than a serious platform for music production, and from a personal point of view I've never had a huge problem with that assessment - I've always had fun using Reason, and if you can't write something good with it then I'd say that says more about the user than Reason itself.

But yeah, I've never really seen the point in the snobbish attitudes certain folks have towards what other people happen to use. It reminds me of when I see people using amazing looking setups to create music that sounds like it was made using a bunch of free VSTs from 2001 - it's this performative obsession rather than any genuine interest in using what works best, and I get the feeling that a lot of people really buy into that for some reason.

ProfessaKaos

12 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
11 Jan 2022
That's true and why I said in another thread I respect those who completely produce in Reason start to finish because it just stinks as far as workflow. With all due respect I question the sanity of the users who work solely in Reason. I mean the mentality of the user that readjust panning, output channel, level you get the picture a total reset every time they load a sample in Kong is the definition of madness. I respect you dudes who can't hover over a mixer knob, fader, in the sequencer or audio track and turn, move up/down, zoom in/out or stretch audio with the mouse wheel in Reason. Y'all working in that janky browser that been updated three times lol. Then the CEO acting like Reason is Live or Studio One wondering why nobody wants to subscribe :lol: The whole outside world makes fun of Reason because it's a software that's been put together like Frankenstein :lol:

Tequila!!!

I'ma turn my link back on and I do have a YouTube with battle beats with the same name from years ago I'm way better now.
ProfessaKaos wrote:
11 Jan 2022
A lot of the best Hip Hop and RnB ever made to this date was made with technology that is completely inferior to what we have today. Again I'll say it, no one cares what you use or used, you could use a toaster or an anal bead to make a song, if people vibe to it and it draws emotion from them, then it's a winner. Music is not a contest.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

lowtom

12 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Reason is far behind other DAWs yes you can make music with it but you’re working harder than other DAW users it’s not even debatable. It’s like two men trying to dig a ditch and one is using a shovel and the other a spoon. Yes both will dig but the guy using a spoon is a fool. I’m not calling Reason uses fools but I do scratch my head at the rigorous workflow y’all choose to make music in.
It all depends on what kind of music one is making and what is needed for the whole process of going from idea to finished track. For electronic music styles Reason is one of the best solutions in the market - you have synths, sequencers, effects + you can import and record audio, slice it, stretch it, correct pitch and so on.
It might work differently than other DAW's, but this world would be boring if every DAW worked the same way.
:reason: :refill: :re:

• Information