[Recording Automation] Help Required Please

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ionly

04 Oct 2016

Hi,
How can I record automation of multiple parameters from the mixer (faders/pan/effects/etc.) without right-clicking and selecting/enabling every individual parameter (high-lighted green box)? I just want to hit RECORD and move stuff! I'm having a complete brain-freeze about this (just switched on Reason after a hiatus), and have searched high and low for a solution

Cheers

ionly

05 Oct 2016

I'm guessing that you can't add a track for the mixer to the sequencer anymore, as in the older Reason, and record the automation of ANY mixer movements without individually right-clicking/creating an automation lane for every desired parameter. Or am I overlooking something?

Cheers

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2016

ionly wrote:I'm guessing that you can't add a track for the mixer to the sequencer anymore, as in the older Reason, and record the automation of ANY mixer movements without individually right-clicking/creating an automation lane for every desired parameter. Or am I overlooking something?

Cheers
You can still do it, go to the Mix channel in the RACK, then right click create track, then hit record and move the parameters you want (from either the Rack or SSL)

WongoTheSane

05 Oct 2016

You don't need to alt-click every control you wish to record, but you do have to create a track in the sequencer for each channel you plan to record, and enable record on each corresponding track. For instance, if you want to record for two channels at once, Alt-click each volume fader, which creates two tracks in the sequencer:
record-mixer1.PNG
record-mixer1.PNG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Now enable Record for each of these two tracks:
record-mixer2.PNG
record-mixer2.PNG (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
...and you can now record every movement of every control in those two channels. When moving a control that you haven't alt-clicked, a lane is created automatically on the corresponding track.

Edit: as Carly points out, you can right-click the channel in the rack and choose "Create Track" instead of Alt-clicking the fader in the SSL.

ionly

09 Oct 2016

Many thanks for your help. I noticed that, after right-clicking any parameter within a channel, and activating automation, any movements of other parameters within that channel create a corresponding automation lane whilst recording. I was hoping that it wasn't necessary to individually activate every channel to automate "globally", but rather just right-clicking the whole mixer with one shot of the mouse, hitting record, and then moving any desired controls/parameters. I know, I'm lazy ;)

Cheers

rootwheel

10 Jan 2022

ionly wrote:
04 Oct 2016
I just want to hit RECORD and move stuff!
Found this post after searching in 2021. Five years later and there's still not been any update to Reason to facilitate this. It's such a shame because a quick record all automation only button would allow for far more spontaneous and performance based sessions with Reason itself. It would let you record everything you can see on the interface infront of you quickly without having to set things up first with special shift clicks on multiple lanes to change to only record automation and/or right clicking on knobs to create automation lanes to get the green circles around things going.

Something else to add to the list of wanted features for Reason's sequencer...

selig
RE Developer

11 Jan 2022

Eddi-16 wrote:
11 Jan 2022
As already mentioned here, they do literally everything to red rid of their long-time DAW users.

Such an important workflow feature...I just can't believe it anymore and I am on the edge of giving up all hope in this software.
I'd like this features too, but…
Not adding a feature isn't a way to get rid of long time users, since we knew what we were getting when we signed on, right? Reason has NEVER added features with any speed or predictability, something I accepted when I started using Reason almost 20 years ago.
I can't count the number of times I've replied to other folks feature requests with a 'don't hold your breath' comment.
If you're expecting Reason to suddenly add a specific feature in order for you to stay with the program, all I can say is don't hold your breath…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information