Let 1 Controller knob change 2 knobs in reasons

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
me-yourself-and-them
Posts: 21
Joined: 09 Jan 2022

Post 09 Jan 2022

Hi guys,

been looking for quite some time, couldn't find a solution.
I got a HP filter on one track. when it's turned up, the level of the track is much lower for sure.
i want it to be on the same level always.
maximizer didn't really help as the output gain level would have to be synced to the lp filter knob in the main mixer.
is there any way to assign one controller knob to two different knobs in reason - and even with another sensitivity / range? or, alternatively auto normalize the level of the track according to HP position?

cheers
Last edited by me-yourself-and-them on 10 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2275
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 09 Jan 2022

Use a combinator. You can assign one combi knob with varying degrees of sensitivity to as many parameters as you have combined in it.
Or you can use CV8X4 CV Generator Re, which is either free or really cheap, and you can use that to control whatever but you don't get the sensitivity adjustments.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 735
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 09 Jan 2022

You say that when you turn up the LP filter Freq the sound gets lower?
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS Giveaways at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3695
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 10 Jan 2022

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 10 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
09 Jan 2022
You say that when you turn up the LP filter Freq the sound gets lower?
Maybe they mean HP filter?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
me-yourself-and-them
Posts: 21
Joined: 09 Jan 2022

Post 10 Jan 2022

thanks, you're right @selig i meant HP filter. thanks for the video, @challism! gonna check it later...

User avatar
me-yourself-and-them
Posts: 21
Joined: 09 Jan 2022

Post 10 Jan 2022

working like charme! thanks a lot guys!
last problem: even with a maticulous setup of start end values the level is too high in the middle.
i can't find any way to add a responsive curve to the knob controllers, eg. in the beginning the volume rises slowly, in the end pretty fast. any way to achive this?

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2008
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 10 Jan 2022

ARCUS can be used to get custom knob curves easily:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ser-knobs/
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3695
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 10 Jan 2022

You can also draw custom knob curves in Lectric Panda Shape.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... fo-editor/
.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2008
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 10 Jan 2022

If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3695
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 10 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
10 Jan 2022
CV Mutant is another option: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-mutant/
I think that was my first RE purchase. Good CV tool.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 11 Jan 2022

Ten year challenge: asked for curves in the Combinator programmer ten years ago, still no solution today. Even asked again when C2 was beta tested last year, and most folks didn’t understand why I wanted it. This thread is another good example of why!
Many workarounds available including using Selig Gain (yes, it’s possible!), but don't these all require a lot of extra routing? If there is no CV input such as with the SSL EQ RE, you need to convert the Combi knob to CV (the easy part), but then you need to route that CV BACK into the Combinator using up another CV input, and then route it back to the control in question, right?
i guess I should be happy there Is a workaround at all… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Moderator
Posts: 1402
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Ten year challenge: asked for curves in the Combinator programmer ten years ago, still no solution today. Even asked again when C2 was beta tested last year, and most folks didn’t understand why I wanted it. This thread is another good example of why!
One of the difficult things in coding an RE is getting the 0% to 100% range converted into a good feeling curve for the display values, and then making an inverse of that transform to convert display values back to percentage range. I was trying to think how you'd get the end user to write those transfer functions, and provide their inverses. But duh, you just give them a 2D curve editor, and build a piece-wise function from where they drop nodes, and provide a couple standard curves (e.g. linear, logarithmic, exponential, sinusoidal) to connect them.

Fire up your Combinator 3 feature request form now. :)

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3707
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 11 Jan 2022

With any luck the next update to CMBv2 will offer more than just another set of graphics.
  • Curve Editor
  • Stepped Controls
Latest (got any vocals?) contact me...

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3695
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 11 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
11 Jan 2022
With any luck the next update to CMBv2 will offer more than just another set of graphics.
  • Curve Editor
  • Stepped Controls
That last Combi "update" was a joke. I couldn't care less about new knobs, buttons and sliders when we aren't given what we really need and expect: functionality! All that last update did for me was make me disappointed (and a bit angry).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3707
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 11 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
11 Jan 2022
With any luck the next update to CMBv2 will offer more than just another set of graphics.
  • Curve Editor
  • Stepped Controls
That last Combi "update" was a joke. I couldn't care less about new knobs, buttons and sliders when we aren't given what we really need and expect: functionality! All that last update did for me was make me disappointed (and a bit angry).
Call me cynical but I think the whole R12 release has been a joke (I do appreciate that a large amount of work has been put into it) but given the amount of work still needed for the roadmap to be completed the whole project (major version) should still be in beta and the bugs in R11 should have been resolved.

CMBv2 was rushed to provide protection for the sound packs (again I appreciate the work) but again it was released far too soon, they could have included it in R11 while working out the issues with R12 (in beta)

Early Access was a promise that could have been achieved by other means (Mimic RE)
Agile Development is just an excuse for not developing a stable product on launch.

Again I do appreciate that the amount of development required is definitely larger than most of the previous versions however that's not an excuse for the level of releases both major R12 and the minor updates have left a lot to be desired and a feature full release this September would have been far better for the brand image than the current fixes that for most part isn't hitting the usual spot.

I was looking forward to seeing what January brought but now I'm wondering when I might want to grab the demo for a test drive, febuary march possibly april?
Latest (got any vocals?) contact me...

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 11 Jan 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jan 2022
selig wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Ten year challenge: asked for curves in the Combinator programmer ten years ago, still no solution today. Even asked again when C2 was beta tested last year, and most folks didn’t understand why I wanted it. This thread is another good example of why!
One of the difficult things in coding an RE is getting the 0% to 100% range converted into a good feeling curve for the display values, and then making an inverse of that transform to convert display values back to percentage range. I was trying to think how you'd get the end user to write those transfer functions, and provide their inverses. But duh, you just give them a 2D curve editor, and build a piece-wise function from where they drop nodes, and provide a couple standard curves (e.g. linear, logarithmic, exponential, sinusoidal) to connect them.

Fire up your Combinator 3 feature request form now. :)
Here's how I pitched it over 10 years (!) ago:
In the simplest form you drag the curve like automation curves. In any advanced form you add points like Europa envelopes.
Image
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2934
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2022

Slightly off topic: can one midi hardware knob able to directly control multiple destinations and multiple devices in Reason, some with negative values, others not, etc...?

Image
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Moderator
Posts: 1402
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Here's how I pitched it over 10 years (!) ago:
In the simplest form you drag the curve like automation curves. In any advanced form you add points like Europa envelopes.
Image
So the idea you came up with 10 years ago, and the one I came up with after about 10 minutes of thinking are exactly the same solution. Funny.

User avatar
artotaku
Posts: 628
Joined: 09 May 2015
Location: Munich, Germany

Post 11 Jan 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Slightly off topic: can one midi hardware knob able to directly control multiple destinations and multiple devices in Reason, some with negative values, others not, etc...?

Image
Yes, it can. In the remote codec you define remote items which can be mapped to controls on devices in Reason or Reason document.
In the remote_process_midi() callback you intercept the incoming MIDI message from your controller and call remote.handle_input() for whatever remote item you want. The other way round it is also possible but you have use a different callback (remote_deliver_midi()). Changing a control on a device can send multiple MIDI message from the codec e. g. to change the state of multiple LED pads (Launchpad).
What is not possible (except without our all time favorite virtual MIDI driver loopback) is to assign one remote item to multiple controls. This relationship is 1:1 but typically not a problem to achieve what you want. You just define multiple remote items.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2934
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2022

artotaku wrote:
11 Jan 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Slightly off topic: can one midi hardware knob able to directly control multiple destinations and multiple devices in Reason, some with negative values, others not, etc...?

Image
Yes, it can. In the remote codec you define remote items which can be mapped to controls on devices in Reason or Reason document.
In the remote_process_midi() callback you intercept the incoming MIDI message from your controller and call remote.handle_input() for whatever remote item you want. The other way round it is also possible but you have use a different callback (remote_deliver_midi()). Changing a control on a device can send multiple MIDI message from the codec e. g. to change the state of multiple LED pads (Launchpad).
What is not possible (except without our all time favorite virtual MIDI driver loopback) is to assign one remote item to multiple controls. This relationship is 1:1 but typically not a problem to achieve what you want. You just define multiple remote items.
Cool to know. Can this flexibility be wrapped in a Player one day, so one can do this on the fly?
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
artotaku
Posts: 628
Joined: 09 May 2015
Location: Munich, Germany

Post 11 Jan 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
11 Jan 2022
artotaku wrote:
11 Jan 2022

Yes, it can. In the remote codec you define remote items which can be mapped to controls on devices in Reason or Reason document.
In the remote_process_midi() callback you intercept the incoming MIDI message from your controller and call remote.handle_input() for whatever remote item you want. The other way round it is also possible but you have use a different callback (remote_deliver_midi()). Changing a control on a device can send multiple MIDI message from the codec e. g. to change the state of multiple LED pads (Launchpad).
What is not possible (except without our all time favorite virtual MIDI driver loopback) is to assign one remote item to multiple controls. This relationship is 1:1 but typically not a problem to achieve what you want. You just define multiple remote items.
Cool to know. Can this flexibility be wrapped in a Player one day, so one can do this on the fly?
This is not easily possible from a player via a remote codec. You´d rather use CV connections instead or the MIDI loopback trick. Let´s say you have a control on a player RE and you want to change controls of other devices when this control is changed.
If you´d have mapped the control to a remote item in the codec it can just send MIDI. It is not allowed to change another remote item when the codec gets data from the Reason host. If I remember correctly even an error is thrown be Reason if a codec tries to do that in the remote_deliver_midi() callback.
Ofc the MIDI could be send to a virtual MIDI driver port and send back to Reason again but it´s cumbersome.

If you search the forum for posts of user Raveshaper (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7493750&start=50), he developed a framework (https://github.com/allen-woods/data-bridge) to do such stuff but I think it was never easy to setup and he pushed the boundaries due to the limitations of Reason in these matters.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2934
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jan 2022

artotaku wrote:
11 Jan 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
11 Jan 2022

Cool to know. Can this flexibility be wrapped in a Player one day, so one can do this on the fly?
This is not easily possible from a player via a remote codec. You´d rather use CV connections instead or the MIDI loopback trick. Let´s say you have a control on a player RE and you want to change controls of other devices when this control is changed.
If you´d have mapped the control to a remote item in the codec it can just send MIDI. It is not allowed to change another remote item when the codec gets data from the Reason host. If I remember correctly even an error is thrown be Reason if a codec tries to do that in the remote_deliver_midi() callback.
Ofc the MIDI could be send to a virtual MIDI driver port and send back to Reason again but it´s cumbersome.

If you search the forum for posts of user Raveshaper (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7493750&start=50), he developed a framework (https://github.com/allen-woods/data-bridge) to do such stuff but I think it was never easy to setup and he pushed the boundaries due to the limitations of Reason in these matters.
Hmm. Thanks :thumbs_up:
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: FiatLux, Trendiction [Bot] and 2 guests