Reason EQ Spectrum Guidelines for help - NEW feature (request)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Rising Night Wave

08 Jan 2022

i would find this feature so fvc**** helpful.
sometimes the visual is easier than hearing it - when precisely adjusting the knobs for frequency.
i hope you all know whati i mean. that guideline feature would be so helpful.

so... Reason Team, please...
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Dabbler

09 Jan 2022

But the frequency is displayed as 2.59 kHz

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Jan 2022

Dabbler wrote:
09 Jan 2022
The point is to relate it visually to the spectral analyzer.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2022

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea

Chi-Individual

09 Jan 2022

The Rob Papen spectrum analyzer gives you that option and it’s free last I checked. You can also set it up to see the L/R and M/S channels separately.

But I agree. An updated analyzer that tells the freq and the key like Optic plus a built in loudness meter for LUFS, Peak etc would be such a workflow enhancement.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Jan 2022

Here's what I have in one other DAW:

Rising Night Wave

09 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
09 Jan 2022

sorry for late reply.

yes. exactly that.
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2022

i always make the window bigger so there are vertical lines for each octave. In your screen shot is IS difficult to see where the EQ is set, but if you make the window bigger it is far easier to see these things with more precision. You can also drag the EQ all the way down to -18 dB and get as much precision as is required considering the SSL isn’t a ‘surgical’ EQ.
Selig Audio, LLC

Rising Night Wave

10 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2022
i always make the window bigger so there are vertical lines for each octave. In your screen shot is IS difficult to see where the EQ is set, but if you make the window bigger it is far easier to see these things with more precision. You can also drag the EQ all the way down to -18 dB and get as much precision as is required considering the SSL isn’t a ‘surgical’ EQ.
aha. oho!

i newer knew you can resize the EQ Spectrum window. damn. ffs omg. lol.
and also i just discovered two features: pressing ALT or SHIFT key when moving those coloured dots on graph.
cool. cool, cool.

but anyway: these guidelines would be still very helpful.

exxx

10 Jan 2022

The real problem is that the high frequencies are different from other DAWs. Compare the high frequency FREQUENCY response in detail with Reason and other DAWs.

Without solving the problem of high-frequency sound reproduction, this DAW isn't useful enough.

Billy+

10 Jan 2022

exxx wrote:
10 Jan 2022
The real problem is that the high frequencies are different from other DAWs. Compare the high frequency FREQUENCY response in detail with Reason and other DAWs.

Without solving the problem of high-frequency sound reproduction, this DAW isn't useful enough.
I'm not really understanding what you mean?

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2022

exxx wrote:
10 Jan 2022

I've done extensive testing on this and other subjects and have not come to this conclusion. I even got 24 tracks in Reason to perfectly null with the same 24 tracks in Logic. Not sure exactly what you mean either, since you don't specify what differences you've measured.

Bottom line, every test I've done, every test I've seen says otherwise, but I'll bite…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

10 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2022

, but I'll bite…
:)
Glad I'm not the only one.....

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
08 Jan 2022

i would find this feature so fvc**** helpful.
sometimes the visual is easier than hearing it - when precisely adjusting the knobs for frequency.
i hope you all know whati i mean. that guideline feature would be so helpful.

so... Reason Team, please...
Using your image as a guide, I can see the peak of the audio at the bottom of the screen is half way between the two lines, so putting the frequency point half way between the two lines gives you the results you seek, no? How much precision do you really need to be with an SSL style EQ? (serious questions, not trolling)
Hear me out. The reason this works is two fold. For one, even with the most narrow Q the SSL is FAR from a 'surgical' EQ, If you get that frequency even half way close you'll get very similar results as doing it by ear, which is super easy to do even at that screen size (and amazingly accurate at larger sizes in my experience). And second, you're going to fine tune it by ear in the end, right? So all you need is to get within a few semitones of the desired frequency visually.

Also, it's good to keep in mind that at lower frequencies, an FFT looses resolution such that you many not want to use the display as the final judge of the actual frequency IF doing surgical work. But if doing surgical work, you would't be using the SSL EQ in the first place so there's that. ;)

But still, I'm curious about what specific use case this would help, or how you are unable to tell if you've lined up to the frequency when doing such extreme boosts?
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2022

exxx wrote:
10 Jan 2022

There's no such thing as "high-frequency sound reproduction".

There's no magic to how DAWs work. They don't "reproduce" sounds.

Creativemind

10 Jan 2022

An update to the Spectrum EQ would be welcomed by me including saving settings, the line as suggested (obviously an on or off setting so you don't have to use it), more bands would be nice (maybe toggle between 4, 8 or 12 bands on the EQ section of the SSL?) and the frequency ranges labelled across the top would be helpful like on FL Studio's Parametric EQ - Bass, Low Mids, High Mids, Presence and High Freq.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2022

I've always thought that having Relative Note indicator on the spectrum would be added bonus - other than that I think the EQ is fine the way it is.

What I've always REALLY wanted is a change-up to the window itself. Instead of F2 bringing up the 'spectrum eq' window, I would LOVE to see it more as a 'mix channel' window - so that you're able to call up - from anywhere - an animated overview of your channel. With Gain, Level, EQ, Compressor, Sends etc.

Poorly-made mock up below;
Attachments
Channel Window.png
Channel Window.png (74.24 KiB) Viewed 9625 times
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Dabbler

11 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
09 Jan 2022
Dabbler wrote:
09 Jan 2022
The point is to relate it visually to the spectral analyzer.
oh, ok

selig
RE Developer

11 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
11 Jan 2022
I've always thought that having Relative Note indicator on the spectrum would be added bonus - other than that I think the EQ is fine the way it is.

What I've always REALLY wanted is a change-up to the window itself. Instead of F2 bringing up the 'spectrum eq' window, I would LOVE to see it more as a 'mix channel' window - so that you're able to call up - from anywhere - an animated overview of your channel. With Gain, Level, EQ, Compressor, Sends etc.

This is a very interesting idea. One issue with Reason when in the sequencer is making quick adjustments to mixer settings. other DAWs such as PT have the option to show the level/pan/mute/solo for mixer channels in the sequencer view, and it’s very handy.
This suggestion would be useful IMO to allow quick mixer adjustments without leaving the Sequencer, but you would need to add the access button to every track in the sequencer for this to work.
Nice one!
Selig Audio, LLC

Chi-Individual

23 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
11 Jan 2022

I've been asking this specific feature to be added to the rack for years now. Just a toggle switch on all mix or audio channels so you don't have to leave the rack but all the changes are matched in the main mixer. And like you just said, bring up an entire mix window also for when in the sequencer.

huggermugger

23 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Melda's EQ, free with the FreeFXBundle, is brilliant for this. You can view the frequency range in terms of a keyboard or drums, as octaves or frequency ranges, and with various backgrounds. And it's fully resizable in Reason for detailed analysis.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.58.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.58.21 AM.png (475.77 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.56.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.56.52 AM.png (481.2 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.53.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.53.18 AM.png (366.76 KiB) Viewed 9439 times

Greg Savage

10 Feb 2022

orthodox wrote:
09 Jan 2022

That's a nice looking EQ
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

crimsonwarlock

10 Feb 2022

Greg Savage wrote:
10 Feb 2022
orthodox wrote:
09 Jan 2022

That's a nice looking EQ
... and in a free DAW even :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Greg Savage

10 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Greg Savage wrote:
10 Feb 2022

That's a nice looking EQ
... and in a free DAW even :clap:
What is that Cakewalk?
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

Billy+

10 Feb 2022

It would be nice if the background was a solid colour.

What about a snap to nearest peak frequency so you just double click the spectrum close to the frequency your after and it magically snaps a node at the nearest peak / transient?

One of the reasons why I went with izotope stuff was the learn feature that selects frequency that are of potential interest it isn't always what you want but it definitely is a handy feature for spending up workflow.

• Information