Looking for a specific cv utility

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Hazel

06 Jan 2022

I'm looking for something almost exactly like the 'Pongasoft A/B 12 Audio Out Switch', only for cv not audio. Basically, one line in of cv, but multiple outs of cv. Sort of like a cv/merger type device, however with a switch to control which output is active. I thought I had something like this in my collection already, but apparently not. Any suggestions? Bonus if it does both merger and splitter type situations.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

maybe one the Hamu 4B or 8B Mesher devices will work for you
- Certified Reason expert

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
06 Jan 2022
maybe one the Hamu 4B or 8B Mesher devices will work for you
I'll have to take a look to see if one will work. Looks like they are all free too. thanks.

challism

06 Jan 2022

Front-8... it's free. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-router/
Throw it in a Combi and program a switch to taste. 1 in, up to 8 out.

Edit: Just realized these are only programmable as On/Off, so a knob or slider isn't going to work. This is yet another reason we need to have RADIO buttons in the Combi.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

06 Jan 2022

I think this is pretty much what you're looking for: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/

Also any of those could help:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-router/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... out-panel/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... out-panel/

If you want a single toggle button putting them into a combinator and mapping a combibutton to two targets (one inverted) should work.

An alternative would be to use https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... or-sensor/ and to feed it a matching CV level (e.g. from a button of Thor or https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/).

Lots of options. ;)

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

Thanks, I'll take a look at that Front 8 as well.

challism

06 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
06 Jan 2022
I think this is pretty much what you're looking for: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/
CV Select Switch is 8 in, 1 out. The OP is looking for 1 in, 8 out. So this is the opposite of what the OP is asking for.

I'm convinced that Front-8 is a way to build this... it will just require lots of workaround tricks.

Would be sweet if Pongasoft would build one for us!

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

With the Hamu devices I can get pretty close, same with the Front 8, the trouble is that even in a Combi there no single option for switching among all 8 on say, a knob. It is just 8 separate entries with with an on, or off position. That's what is handy about that Pongasoft audio device, it has a setting for each channel to have it's each own on, or off. It also has a setting for that only one may be active at a time, if that makes sense.

jam-s

06 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jan 2022
jam-s wrote:
06 Jan 2022
CV Select Switch is 8 in, 1 out. The OP is looking for 1 in, 8 out. So this is the opposite of what the OP is asking for.

I'm convinced that Front-8 is a way to build this... it will just require lots of workaround tricks.

Would be sweet if Pongasoft would build one for us!
Dang, right. Front8 is an option for sure or using modselsor-cv-selector-sensor + a CV source knob.

Also Distributor (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... stributor/) could work
(When automating the start voice, and setting the voices to 1 with reset on, but I have not yet checked if this really works.)

(Distributor is also included in the great and cheap https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... -system-i/).
Last edited by jam-s on 06 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

Ha. Yes, It would be great if Pongasoft had made a cv one. That audio router is great.

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

That Blamsoft device may work.I might have to look into that.

jam-s

06 Jan 2022

Hazel wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Ha. Yes, It would be great if Pongasoft had made a cv one. That audio router is great.
You could also go the route of converting CV to audio and then back to CV.

challism

06 Jan 2022

This is the best I can come up with right now.
A few months ago I wanted to build a Combi that was a massive grid of these buttons. It would allow for every possible connection 8 x 8... but I quickly realized I would run out of available switches when I hit that damned 32 maximum limitation. So the best you can do is a 4 x 8, which is still pretty good.
1-to-8-CV-Switch-CM.zip
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (147.12 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

Hazel

06 Jan 2022

Thanks. I'm still on version 11 though. That looks like it may be 12, as the combi looks a little different. Yeah, the combi before 12 I think is even more limited. I was able to rig up something with one of those Hamu devices, but I can basically get only 3 outputs, as I'm hitting the max controls on the combi at that point.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

.cmb built using CV8x4 & HAMU 8B & Modselsor

i left the .cmb unaltered so it should open in pre R12 versions

connect your single cv source to input 1 on the Mesher 8B and connect the Meshers 8 outputs to where you need them. then simply close up the devices tray and twist control 1 on the combinator to select output 1-8
Attachments
SELECTOUT1-8 - Bes.zip
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

challism

06 Jan 2022

Hazel wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Thanks. I'm still on version 11 though. That looks like it may be 12, as the combi looks a little different. Yeah, the combi before 12 I think is even more limited. I was able to rig up something with one of those Hamu devices, but I can basically get only 3 outputs, as I'm hitting the max controls on the combi at that point.
Yes, that one I built was for Reason 12 (Combi2).

A limited version of this could be built with a Combi v1.0. There are 4 buttons on the original Combi, so you could build a "1-in, 4-out" switch with Front-8.

I have attached one for you (should open in R11).
1-to-4-CV-Switch-CM.zip
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (136.07 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
Bes wrote:
06 Jan 2022

connect your single cv source to input 1 on the Mesher 8B and connect the Meshers 8 outputs to where you need them. then simply close up the devices tray and twist control 1 on the combinator to select output 1-8
Nice one! I think your Combi is the best answer to this question.

I have all the HAMU stuff, but I'm not very familiar with any of his devices... embarrassingly! I know they are great, I've just never taken the time to learn them. I keep meaning to, though.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

i'm not aware of any documentation or tutorials for the big purple rack, my old sore brain won't ever remember any details so i'm in a constant state of rediscovery with these ones. now i'm wondering if the modselsor might be able to do this job just by itself

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

ok not by itself but pretty close actually. this could have been achieved with any cv splitter and modselsor and some cv signal to control the selection

LFO or any desired CV Source to Mxsplirger first input
mxsplirger first 8 outputs to modselsor first 8 inputs
modselsors first 8 outputs to desired CV destinations
modselsor select enable and some cv source for Select

Hazel

07 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
06 Jan 2022

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I couldn't get that to open in a combinator for version 11. It says "bad patch format" when I try to open it. Well, I know it can be done with the Hamu stuff somehow anyway I guess.

Hazel

07 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
06 Jan 2022
ok not by itself but pretty close actually. this could have been achieved with any cv splitter and modselsor and some cv signal to control the selection

LFO or any desired CV Source to Mxsplirger first input
mxsplirger first 8 outputs to modselsor first 8 inputs
modselsors first 8 outputs to desired CV destinations
modselsor select enable and some cv source for Select
I've created this, and with a bit of messing around, it works. Nice job! I have no idea what even some of those devices do yet.

Bes
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2022

great :thumbs_up: probably would be good to have some tutorials out there for these tools

Hazel

07 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
07 Jan 2022
great :thumbs_up: probably would be good to have some tutorials out there for these tools
Yeah, it's a bit rough around the edges. Not what I expected would happen, but I'm going to work on it a bit more. It's interesting for sure. Sometimes the cv signal glitches a bit once in a while for some odd reason even. Yes, I agree. These devices are kind of confusing.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2022

Hazel wrote:
07 Jan 2022
... unfortunately I couldn't get that to open in a combinator for version 11. It says "bad patch format" when I try to open it.
Just FYI, combinators saved in RS 12.2.3 won't open in previous versions, as the combinator file format was changed in 12.2.3.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

07 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
07 Jan 2022
Hazel wrote:
07 Jan 2022
... unfortunately I couldn't get that to open in a combinator for version 11. It says "bad patch format" when I try to open it.
Just FYI, combinators saved in RS 12.2.3 won't open in previous versions, as the combinator file format was changed in 12.2.3.

I think this box needs to be checked in order for it to save a legacy Combi patch. I forgot to check the box. Can someone with R11 installed please download this patch and see if it will load? I don't have it downloaded or installed and don't want to bother, but would like to know if this works. Thanks in advance.

My Front-8 Combi
1-to-4-CV-Switch-CM.zip
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Bes's HAMU Combi
SELECTOUT1-8 - Bes.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (62.35 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jan 2022
I think this box needs to be checked in order for it to save a legacy Combi patch.
That should work to save as a combinator V1 (not sure about that, will test). I was pointing to the fact that combinator V2 patches (with custom controls etc.) saved with 12.2.3 won't be able to load in previous R12 versions.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information