Chord SQ from Retouch

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Quarmat
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2022

So far I am in love with this player. It's like a canvas where I can experiment different progressions, and while the duration, velocity and gate lenght lines are cool, the selling point for me is the "one note chorder" mode: I set on a progression and play (and replay) the chords on the rythmic pattern I want.

Can't wait for the "roman numerals" update.

Worth every penny, iyam

challism

05 Jan 2022

I purchased this player and really like it. Phrase is next. VERY NICELY DONE, RETOUCH CONTROL!
I do have a wish list of features I'd love to see added (and added to Phrase player, too).
* Playback "dir" mode: Brownian/Walk
* Roman numerals (toggle view option)
* I would like to see a "run" button to simply play the chord progression in sync with the transport. Unless I'm missing something and this is already doable? It seems like the player requires some kind of input note to constantly feed it in order for it to run. And if the trigger/feed note is released, the player stops playing; when the trigger/feed note is pressed again, the player starts over. I think there is a need for the player to just run with the transport, if desired. And a resolution knob would be a great addition to use with the "run" button.
* Insert empty step between steps
* Restart button (with corresponding CV input)
* CV in for triggering the device to play
* CV in for triggering the device to move to the next step in the progression[/b]
* more CV in controls for changing velocity and other stuff
* Gate/Note CV in for triggering (trig chord input mode via devices like STEP)
* Additional gate/note CV outs for playing other instruments
* Ability for user to create/record their own custom chords (maybe have a bank of 4-6 empty slots in the chord type menu - single, maj, min, mM, dom, sus, aug/dim, CUSTOM/User Defined)

I know that is a tall order... just saying, in my own perfect world, I would like to see these features added. Bold are the features I deem to be more important. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MattLeschuck

05 Jan 2022

This is really a nice addition to the players!

One request that i think would be helpful

*the ability to audition a lane. So we can hear playback of that desired chord without having to play through the whole sequence.

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
05 Jan 2022

*the ability to audition a lane. So we can hear playback of that desired chord without having to play through the whole sequence.
use the "trigger chords" mode and audition each slot via midi keys
trigger chords img.png
trigger chords img.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
- Certified Reason expert

challism

06 Jan 2022

Today I've been stacking ChordSQ above PatMut and getting some really amazing results. Basically just recording the ChordSQ progression into PatMut and then turning ChordSQ off and using PatMut to come up with different chord progression variations/mutations.

huggermugger

06 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Today I've been stacking ChordSQ above PatMut and getting some really amazing results. Basically just recording the ChordSQ progression into PatMut and then turning ChordSQ off and using PatMut to come up with different chord progression variations/mutations.
Cool idea!

challism

06 Jan 2022

huggermugger wrote:
06 Jan 2022
challism wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Cool idea!
Yeah, this is where PatMut really shines, so I figured why not use it to compliment ChordSQ. PatMut can do so much than just coming up with different patterns; it can easily experiment with different gate lengths, playback rates, add shuffle, etc. PatMut is definitely some Player secret sauce.

demt

06 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
04 Jan 2022
I picked this up before the intro price expired. Nice player, Retouch. Now I've got to get Phrase to complete the set (feels like a set).
demt wrote:
04 Jan 2022
What's the advantage over a keyboard
As a poor pianist (I can't even really call myself that without laughing or feeling like a fraud), the first advantage I can think of is being able to easily and flawlessly try out many, many possible chord combinations/progressions/randomizations/alterations/inversions without having to stop and think about how to make those chords on a piano/keyboard. I can't just sit down and play a bunch of exotic chords without stopping to think about how they are constructed - and all the inversions. I don't even know how to make a CmM11 chord, but this player does. Ease of experimentation without the frustration of physical skill limitations is the advantage for me.
OK I'm going to find out the hard way by getting both, im hoping my ear ,will on the new 88 key keyboard ,direct my fingers .Thanks to its experience as a gitarist it'll have the next chord and its 4567ths in mind. Cheers
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

Ok ok ok. I’ll try it tomorrow.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2022

Shift+Drag to select values like chords and root note is extremely *chefs kiss

dvdrtldg

08 Jan 2022

This thing is very user friendly for songwriting. Not so much as a start-to-finish composition tool, but if you're stuck for a nice middle eight or four-chord transition, it can really help. Would be nice to see a wider range of chords, but it covers the basics pretty well

I'm not finding Pattern Mutator all that good with it, but Dual Arp really makes it shine

MattLeschuck

09 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
05 Jan 2022
MattLeschuck wrote:
05 Jan 2022

use the "trigger chords" mode and audition each slot via midi keys
trigger chords img.png
Thanks for that man! Completely missed it.

arnigretar

09 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Nice challism, thanks for sharing!!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Mattvank

31 Jan 2022

Thank you for the update! I´m a little bit late to tell another feature wish. A play button.
At the moment i use this player combination:

challism

31 Jan 2022

Mattvank wrote:
31 Jan 2022
Thank you for the update! I´m a little bit late to tell another feature wish. A play button.
At the moment i use this player combination:
Agreed. As I said here: viewtopic.php?p=591819#p591819

I would like to see a "run" button to simply play the chord progression in sync with the transport. Unless I'm missing something and this is already doable? It seems like the player requires some kind of input note to constantly feed it in order for it to run. And if the trigger/feed note is released, the player stops playing; when the trigger/feed note is pressed again, the player starts over. I think there is a need for the player to just run with the transport, if desired. And a resolution knob would be a great addition to use with the "run" button.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

01 Feb 2022

Thanks to all for the feedback. For those who might be interested, here are the new features introduced in the 1.1.0 update:
  • added “Show Scale Degrees” option which shows the root notes as roman numerals if they are in the selected key and scale
  • added more lengths to the Duration selection menus
  • added more chord presets to the Chord Type selection menus
  • added “Insert and Remove Step at” options in the Seq Edit menu
  • added a “Random Walk” option in the sequencer direction menu
  • extended the “Shift + drag” method for changing values to more step parameters (e.g. gate, duration, voicing)
  • improved the “Optimize Voicings” algorithm in the Seq Edit menu
More info here: https://tf-shop-media202106290939392276 ... _1.1.0.pdf

moneykube

01 Feb 2022

RetouchControl wrote:
01 Feb 2022
Thanks to all for the feedback. For those who might be interested, here are the new features introduced in the 1.1.0 update:
  • added “Show Scale Degrees” option which shows the root notes as roman numerals if they are in the selected key and scale
  • added more lengths to the Duration selection menus
  • added more chord presets to the Chord Type selection menus
  • added “Insert and Remove Step at” options in the Seq Edit menu
  • added a “Random Walk” option in the sequencer direction menu
  • extended the “Shift + drag” method for changing values to more step parameters (e.g. gate, duration, voicing)
  • improved the “Optimize Voicings” algorithm in the Seq Edit menu
More info here: https://tf-shop-media202106290939392276 ... _1.1.0.pdf
awesome... thanks for the update
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

PhillipOrdonez

01 Feb 2022

Thank you developer. Great player!

Stygian Abyss

01 Feb 2022

Thank you for this excellent update to one of my favorite Players. :clap:

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2022

working with roman numerals is so much easier on my brain :) thanks for the update retouch

gkillmaster

01 Feb 2022

Have you all tried Grid64P2? It looks fantastic. I'm thinking about it...

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2022

here is a thread about Grid64P2. personally i'm not keen on generative methods so its not for me but also those players are built to integrate well with the grid of pads midi controllers from novation. if you have one it could be fun times for you

thedude

01 Feb 2022

Read the manual, but didnt see this (but i am very tired, heh) ...where is the option to direct record or send to track so i can further arrange in the sequencer? I am looking for something like dragging midi from captain chords.

gkillmaster

01 Feb 2022

Bes wrote:
01 Feb 2022
here is a thread about Grid64P2. personally i'm not keen on generative methods so its not for me but also those players are built to integrate well with the grid of pads midi controllers from novation. if you have one it could be fun times for you
Thank you!

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2022

thedude wrote:
01 Feb 2022
Read the manual, but didnt see this (but i am very tired, heh) ...where is the option to direct record or send to track so i can further arrange in the sequencer? I am looking for something like dragging midi from captain chords.
i think what you'r asking about is not a feature of the players individually but the reason architecture itself. situated at the top of any stack of players in the rack, it looks like this
dr to track.png
dr to track.png (9.98 KiB) Viewed 5977 times

• Information