Hydronexius 3 Powered by Combinator 2?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
apoc123
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

Hydronexius 3 is here and it's not in Rack Extension form... It seems the folks at DNA Labs Software decided to use the Reason 12 Combinator 2 framework instead of the RE Idt framework for Hydronexius 3! We would love to know your thoughts on this. Under the hood, is a huge list of filters, fx, samplers, and synths...namely the Mimic Sampler and Algoritm Synthesizer. Heres a peek at it and a link for more info on it:

https://www.dnalabssoftware.com/reason- ... ydronexiu3
Attachments
H3 Device Front copy.jpg
H3 Device Front copy.jpg (912.19 KiB) Viewed 10667 times

soroc sosta

31 Dec 2021

ICU Apoc, Looks good, to bad I cant use it, lol!

WOO

31 Dec 2021

Hydronexius 2 is one of my favorite synths. So when I saw the notice for Hydronexius 3 in my email this morning I said I have to get this. But alas its not to be because I can't use it either. For the first time in many years I did not purchase anything during the bf and christmas sale from reason although I did buy wedge force keemum from plugin alliance. Btw its a nice bass vst. Happy New Year to you all!

QVprod

31 Dec 2021

Makes sense for the nature of what the Hydronexius devices are. Preset playback with some adjustable parameters. Why go through the hassle of scripting when Combinator 2 has essentially done that for you? Far easier to map the combi knobs to devices.

The only benefit the RE format would offer in this case is copy protection since there is none for Refills but it’s likely not that big an issue.

moneykube

31 Dec 2021

you would think there would be an upgrade / cross grade path> for those that own Hydronexius 2 in rack format
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

artmessiah

31 Dec 2021

moneykube wrote:
31 Dec 2021
you would think there would be an upgrade / cross grade path> for those that own Hydronexius 2 in rack format
I agree with this sentiment. I don't own Algoritm nor do I plan on buying it because I have blamsoft Zero, NI FM, Dex, etc. i love your stuff - I have Hydronexius 2, Glacius and Aquios, not to mention a few refills. I would have bought/upgraded to the new Hydronexius had it been in rack extension format however it will not be possible now - which is unfortunate.

Goriila Texas

31 Dec 2021

Yep it's a no for me and I too own all of their synths and some refills.

artmessiah wrote:
31 Dec 2021
moneykube wrote:
31 Dec 2021
I agree with this sentiment. I don't own Algoritm nor do I plan on buying it because I have blamsoft Zero, NI FM, Dex, etc. i love your stuff - I have Hydronexius 2, Glacius and Aquios, not to mention a few refills. I would have bought/upgraded to the new Hydronexius had it been in rack extension format however it will not be possible now - which is unfortunate.

Loque

31 Dec 2021

I like the idea. Its an improved version of a refill. I can change everything in a patch if i want.

I think the GE still offers a bit more possibilities with lesser CPU load, same if you code everything on your own. Same for graphics.

Most new synths doesn't offer something new or special, and often their patches are sh!t. Its better to focus on good patches than.

As mentioned, copy protection may be a thing. I said it already in the past, that refills need a copy protection.

Trialing might be an issue.

The biggest issue might be to use synths and stuff that is not stock or free. Even for this a solution was requested years ago.

Personally i don't buy Refills and didn't bought much new stuff in past year too and probably less in this.
Reason12, Win10

Michaellos

31 Dec 2021

artmessiah wrote:
31 Dec 2021
moneykube wrote:
31 Dec 2021
I'm afraid that we will never ever see Hydronexius 3 (or 4,5 ) in the Re format, and other DNA Labs instruments will not be upgraded anymore as well. :|

DaveyG

01 Jan 2022

QVprod wrote:
31 Dec 2021
Makes sense for the nature of what the Hydronexius devices are. Preset playback with some adjustable parameters. Why go through the hassle of scripting when Combinator 2 has essentially done that for you? Far easier to map the combi knobs to devices.

The only benefit the RE format would offer in this case is copy protection since there is none for Refills but it’s likely not that big an issue.
The other benefit of an RE is that it does not require you to own (or rent) anything else to make it work.

Of course, the benefit of selling a Combi outside of the RS shop is that you don't have to give a slice of the earnings to RS. :puf_smile:

Reminiscence

01 Jan 2022

bought it for kicks

artmessiah

01 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jan 2022
Of course, the benefit of selling a Combi outside of the RS shop is that you don't have to give a slice of the earnings to RS. :puf_smile:
This along with not having to do much coding is probably the biggest motivating factor for DNA.

QVprod

01 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
01 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
31 Dec 2021

The other benefit of an RE is that it does not require you to own (or rent) anything else to make it work.

I hadn’t read the requirements, but rather just went off the concept. One can definitely pull similar things off with stock devices. They just chose not to. Whether or not that’s the best move for their customers would be the question, but seeing as they’ve made a fair majority of the Reason+ packs it may work out for them. That’s likely what inspired them to make this switch.

Of course that does mean losing most of the non R+ users

apoc123
RE Developer

04 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2022
Are those knobs stacked on top of knobs?
Yes they are 2 knobs stacked similar to an API analog gear knob! Originally done for looks, it ended up being very useful for instances with say a filter freq. and resonance stacked.

selig
RE Developer

04 Jan 2022

apoc123 wrote:
04 Jan 2022
joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2022
Yes they are 2 knobs stacked similar to an API analog gear knob! Originally done for looks, it ended up being very useful for instances with say a filter freq. and resonance stacked.
The sad part is this option for ganged pots, super common on analog gear, isn’t possible with REs - only in a combinator!!! ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

04 Jan 2022

apoc123 wrote:
04 Jan 2022
joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2022
That’s actually really cool. Would’ve never gave thought to try to stack them. Will have to try that out

apoc123
RE Developer

07 Jan 2022

QVprod wrote:
04 Jan 2022
apoc123 wrote:
04 Jan 2022

That’s actually really cool. Would’ve never gave thought to try to stack them. Will have to try that out
Are you a developer?

apoc123
RE Developer

07 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
04 Jan 2022
apoc123 wrote:
04 Jan 2022

The sad part is this option for ganged pots, super common on analog gear, isn’t possible with REs - only in a combinator!!! ;(
Man Selig I am loving the power od the combinator 2, cant wait for more knobs and widgets! Did you see the nordic buttons? super cool

QVprod

07 Jan 2022

apoc123 wrote:
07 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
04 Jan 2022

Are you a developer?
I’ve created a few sound packs for R+ (search ‘Quincy Valentine’ in companion) Haven’t gotten into creating refills at this time though… and yeah I’m technically a RE dev as far as having signed up some years back.

apoc123
RE Developer

07 Jan 2022

QVprod wrote:
07 Jan 2022
apoc123 wrote:
07 Jan 2022

Are you a developer?
I’ve created a few sound packs for R+ (search ‘Quincy Valentine’ in companion) Haven’t gotten into creating refills at this time though… and yeah I’m technically a RE dev as far as having signed up some years back.
Cool man I have heard your packs on Reason+ , they sound great man!

QVprod

08 Jan 2022

apoc123 wrote:
07 Jan 2022
QVprod wrote:
07 Jan 2022

Cool man I have heard your packs on Reason+ , they sound great man!
Thanks! Definitely a compliment coming from you.

• Information