Which midi controller / keyboard?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
michaelwooddev

27 Dec 2021

Hi All,
I've found myself post-christmas with approx £350 to spend on kit and had my eyes set on the Nektar P4. It has everything I want.
A big selling point for me is the motorized fader too. I came to Reason from growing up around hardware mixers so it was familiar.

While researching I've read so much conflicting stuff it's just left me feeling confused what to get.
I read that with the Nektar P4 is not being manufactured any more which raises longevity questions when investing in such a device now. Maybe even driver issues in the near future?

So I started looking whether I could split into 2 separate devices to get the functionality that is most important. I looked into the obvious candidates for controller, X-Touch One, FaderPort etc but the complaint always seems to be that Reason's mackie support is complete sh' - but all of these posts seem to be from 2019 or much older.
Is that still the case?

I though it best to reach out to other reasoners that random forum posts from elsewhere.

Thanks all.

gullum

27 Dec 2021

I'd go for the second choice get a X-Touch FaderPort or Icon qcon and then a midi keyboard with no knobs or faders.
because if you get a keyboard controller with faders and knobs that are not motorized or endless encoders you will soon go back to using only the mouse for setting.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2021

I got a P6 fairly early on. My feeling are somewhat split:

Reason integration was really good in that technically Reson could be run from the LCD screen alone. But they lost focus on Reason alone and now support is not as promised. I never really us that integration much at all. The biggest use I have is the way the screen translates SSL Faders from 0-1000 (WTF) to decibels for automation. Kinds overkill.

The knobs and sliders got all sticky from heat/humidity so now are almost as furry as the cat. They are tacky to the touch which is ikky. Not that it matters seeing I just never use them. In most part because I don't care seeing I have a mouse and partly because some of the basic functionality was broken ages ago so they detract more value than they add. The flying fader I unplugged real fast. I didn't use it and it was just annoying to have it clunk about every time I changed Track/Channel.

Keys are nice to play once I got used to them (after el Plastico M-Audio) but they are loud, Loud, L.O.U.D. clanky things. Maybe that is common to nice Fatar (or whatever) beds but I liked the simple synth-action I was used to and the noise is inelegant (to me) - like hearing elec guitar strings over the Slash-tone one hopes for.

It is solidly built and may even outlast me. That is pretty good (but bad in that it makes it hard to justify replacing it).

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

demt

28 Dec 2021

Nektar aura , P1, arturai keystep. Nektar gxp88 for a fluid sonic range of pitch workflow.
Last edited by demt on 11 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

bildoras

31 Dec 2021

Hi from Germany,

you got the same problem as me. I have got 500€ and want to buy a controler with motorized faders. I already have the Panorama P1 and this device was my best choice so far. It has a fully integration to Reason 11. In Reason 12 the Mimic Sampler is missing for the P1. The only thing i need are motorized faders.
So i bought the Softube Console 1 Fader. This console has some disadvanteges to Reason. I don't like that I have to create a VST Plugin on every track I want to control with the Console1. In addition, the track isn't selected after selecting a track on the Console1 and you have manually add the tracknumber and names to the C1. Therefore the Console1 is what I want but isn't supported enough.
Yesterday i bought the Icon QCon Pro G2. This is my second option to get motorized faders. I have read some issues with the implemenation to Reason because you have to use the mackie protocol. I hope, selecting a track in Reason will show it on the QCon as well.

I am searching for consoles with motorized faders that supports Reason. 8 Faders with banks would be nice. I hope I can find an answer on your topic here and someone is telling you wich devices they use with this budget.

selig
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

I decided to go the ‘separate’ route, but my specific choices are likely out of your price range (but i mention them here in case they spark another approach for you). I love the Novation SL mkIII controller (since I also have Eurorack modules), and since I was needed a lot of mic preamps I went with a MIDAS M32r LIVE which as a bonus can control 8 faders in Reason. i also assigned a few macros to transport and fader banking, so I’m getting a lot of bang for the buck here.
If you’re coming from a hardware mixer background, one motorized fader may not quite satisfy you, but things get expensive fast when moving beyond one fader…
Selig Audio, LLC

demt

04 Jan 2022

Erm thinking about it I suddenly need a full size keyboard,am getting a gxp nektar ,they say it plays best for the budget,almost.I can't resist sum sort of sequencer that it has,it allso isn't wide and fits my desk,most important.The ability to sweep through the octaves without hitting the octave+- button and play high and low at the same time seem irresistible.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Fusion

05 Jan 2022

I would not recommend the P4 , I have been using it for about 5 years , thinking it would be a great device to get away from staring at a screen, but I have to end up going back to the computer for simple things. I also have ended up with sticky faders and have never liked the drum pads , sometimes they work , sometimes they do not respond.
I normally end up just using the keys, or connecting a machine controller. I also am now looking for an alternative , but do not see anything any better. I like the looks of the console 1 , but see the support is not great.

michaelwooddev

06 Jan 2022

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going to the X-Touch One and a Nektar GX49.
So far I'm very happy with both.
I knew I was signing up for a little bit of fun with the X-Touch One due to the mackie control stuff.

I reached out to a guy on youtube (he might be on here) by the name Mathias. Seemed a really nice helpful guy but wanted a donation for his codec and map which i completely understand.

I was actually considering paying next week but I'm a software developer by day... I couldn't help myself so I started poking around myself and I think I've got it mapped really well so far and got it showing up in reason without replacing the default codec :thumbup:
x-touch-1.png
x-touch-1.png (61.98 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Happy to post my journey in it's own thread if the interest is there.
Will likely share the mapping once I feel it's done.

Mike

wereMole88

09 Jan 2022

What about the T4/T6? Isn't that supposed to be the succesor of the P series? Im considering buying one to replace my Nord Lead 2x as my topboard as a keyboardist in a poprock band (trying to shift my sound more to exclusively reason).

Read somewhere in this thread that nektar support isnt what it used to be anymore. Anybody have some experience with the T4/T6?

bildoras

10 Jan 2022

I have an update, too. I sent the QCon g2 back and now got a X-Touch. For this device there is a good implementation via mackie-protocol by a user called jaexx. I now have 8 motorized faders and a good overview and access to the ssl 9000 k. This device is pretty small and it is worth it (350,- €). Later I can extend the faders up to 24 if I want.

• Information