external effects pedals

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Mordhavoid

29 Dec 2021

Hi, has anyone tried to hook up any efx pedals as sends in reason. I seen a video showing how to connect up...i used my roland space echo but to no avail.
Wondering on anyone elses experiences.

Thanks

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2021

Mordhavoid wrote:
29 Dec 2021
Hi, has anyone tried to hook up any efx pedals as sends in reason. I seen a video showing how to connect up...i used my roland space echo but to no avail.
Wondering on anyone elses experiences.

Thanks
Yes, you need a few things though. Obviously you need an interface with enough spare inputs/outputs for what you want to do. Next, you need to convert the 'send' signal to guitar level with a re-amp type box, then convert back to mic with DI or line with Hi Z input.
Finally, you'll need to do 'actual' gain staging, the real deal here because you have analog circuits with limited dynamic range. Here's my process: start by setting everything up and testing the loop with a cable from output back to input (no effects yet). Send a sine wave at a known level and check it returns at the same level. This is to establish the setup is passing unity gain, not adding or loosing any level along the path. Next, connect the pedal in the loop and set it to bypass, and check levels again to insure no gain change is occurring. Finally, engage the effect and make sure your levels are what the pedal expects (nominal), in that there should be no excessive noise or distortion (unless that's what the pedal is supposed to do!).
That's it, with the possible warning there will be some latency with this setup so if it's not a delay/reverb effect it's going to be best to print the effect at some point and line it back up with the original. Suffice it to say parallel processing using an external loop is probably out of the question, as is using a send with multiple sources (again, unless this is a reverb/delay where the dry signal is not present).
Oh yea, one other possibility is to adjust the original audio backwards in time so the latency is manually accounted for. This means recording the results of the FX loop to see how much delay is added, then moving all the processed audio BACK in time the same amount. This would allow you to use an effect without having to print it and without hearing the latency, BUT I'd still want to print this track at some point before moving on to the next song…
Selig Audio, LLC

Mordhavoid

29 Dec 2021

Thanks for the info...i appreciate it;)
I think a pre-amp needs to go in there alright...i seen that before. Il figure it, thanks for info

Its just a Rat Distortion i wanted to use for a touch on the drums to crunch up subtley....and a roland boss space echo pedal...i was gonna use that for dubby type delays on vocals and efx hits etc
I dont mind the vst's....but definetly wanted tòhe analogue character from these effects.

motuscott

29 Dec 2021

The seventies wants her chillen back!
and of course Selig (kind soul) is there to help
Got a USB expression pedal and an umbilical cord to Turn2on
Ain't going back
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

DaveyG

29 Dec 2021

Mordhavoid wrote:
29 Dec 2021
Thanks for the info...i appreciate it;)
I think a pre-amp needs to go in there alright...i seen that before. Il figure it, thanks for info

Its just a Rat Distortion i wanted to use for a touch on the drums to crunch up subtley....and a roland boss space echo pedal...i was gonna use that for dubby type delays on vocals and efx hits etc
I dont mind the vst's....but definetly wanted tòhe analogue character from these effects.
Getting the levels right and dealing with the latency can be a proper ball-ache but you can get decent results with a bit of trial and error. I sometimes use pedals on stuff that originates outside of the computer (like synths and, of course, guitar) but it would have to be a very special analogue pedal for me to go to the hassle and expense of using it on stuff that is already in the DAW.

But mostly VSTs and REs are good enough at emulating analogue hardware. I've not tried it but there is a free VST RAT clone here:

https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseR47

• Information