R+ sale again already?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scotward57

22 Dec 2021

I jumped aboard the R+ train during Black Friday. A little surprised that there is a 50% sale again so soon.

Isn't it time for Reason Studios Inc. to just drop the regular annual sub price to $99 (or whatever your country's currency is)? That might seem like a giveaway, but it's really not. That would be enough of an attractive price to get the holdouts to subscribe. The rest of the music production world would see RRP as too good of an opportunity to pass up. And eventually, the other competing DAWs would want to get in on the rack action and want to cut deals to make their stock devices available within the rack. Win-win for everybody.

Heater

22 Dec 2021

Yep. They should drop it. $20 a month is too much.

demt

22 Dec 2021

What about rent to own!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

EnochLight

22 Dec 2021

demt wrote:
22 Dec 2021
What about rent to own!
Perpetual license purchased on a credit card? :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Goriila Texas

22 Dec 2021

$5 the CEO is delusional and obviously doesn’t make music to understand the options we have as musicians. For me Reason is weak asf in areas like writing music (hate the sequencers), workflow is trash imo, once you work in S1 the mouse wheel controls so many things but in Reason it’s only for scrolling. I wouldn’t mix sheit in Reason and I tip my hat to you guys who workaround not having a mono button on the SSL. No vst3 support. MIDI channel organization is trash compared to S1. The only thing I use is Mimic from RS in RRP the DAW IS trash.

Heater wrote:
22 Dec 2021
Yep. They should drop it. $20 a month is too much.

miscend

22 Dec 2021

scotward57 wrote:
22 Dec 2021
I jumped aboard the R+ train during Black Friday. A little surprised that there is a 50% sale again so soon.

Isn't it time for Reason Studios Inc. to just drop the regular annual sub price to $99 (or whatever your country's currency is)? That might seem like a giveaway, but it's really not. That would be enough of an attractive price to get the holdouts to subscribe. The rest of the music production world would see RRP as too good of an opportunity to pass up. And eventually, the other competing DAWs would want to get in on the rack action and want to cut deals to make their stock devices available within the rack. Win-win for everybody.
It's not just R+. Many of the BF music production deals are being repeated again this holiday. That includes Waves, McDSP and PA

integerpoet

22 Dec 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Dec 2021
I tip my hat to you guys who workaround not having a mono button on the SSL.
It's a valid complaint but I don't feel like I deserve that much respect. :-)

I use an RE with a dedicated button but I'm given to understand the inbuilt imager rack device can be configured to do this.

scotward57

23 Dec 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Dec 2021
$5 the CEO is delusional and obviously doesn’t make music to understand the options we have as musicians. For me Reason is weak asf in areas like writing music (hate the sequencers), workflow is trash imo, once you work in S1 the mouse wheel controls so many things but in Reason it’s only for scrolling. I wouldn’t mix sheit in Reason and I tip my hat to you guys who workaround not having a mono button on the SSL. No vst3 support. MIDI channel organization is trash compared to S1. The only thing I use is Mimic from RS in RRP the DAW IS trash.
If Mimic is the only RS device you use, then you really wasted your money. The stock samplers in other DAWs would cover your needs and you could find a workflow better to your liking.

Goriila Texas

23 Dec 2021

I have found a better workflow with Studio One and I can tell you don't use one-shots because Mimic is hands down better than most stock samplers. It's way better than S1 Sample One for sure.

scotward57 wrote:
23 Dec 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
22 Dec 2021
If Mimic is the only RS device you use, then you really wasted your money. The stock samplers in other DAWs would cover your needs and you could find a workflow better to your liking.

slic

23 Dec 2021

With so many 50% off sales people will obviously only subscribe for $99 a year...they should just lower the price perminaneltly, if that doesn't do it they don't have a subscription business (better to no early!)

The subscription is decent value for people with no Reason....but for ,many of us with 12/11 Studio its pretty pointless (or at best not good value for just a couple of new devices), so there subscription pool is pretty shallow as I suspect most people who wanted Reason probably bought a perpetual licence in a different 50% off sale- you cant have it both ways guys!

Aosta

23 Dec 2021

I have a 90 day free trial for Reason+ that came with a midi controller I bought and I can't be bothered even installing it incase it messes with my R11 install. Shows how excited I am about it all.
Tend the flame

plaamook

23 Dec 2021

Hmm...
I thought they were really doing well with the subs model.
But then they've been telling us for years that Reason is doing really well and that was before subs.
Funny old world.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Yonatan

24 Dec 2021

Just give us some sale on the reason devices for us non subscribers, so we can complete the collection.
I really considered sub before but I like to land on having Reason even if I need to cut expenses, as I just lost my job now, so at least I already upgraded to R12 and can stay there in case next upgrade forces one to buy a new Macbook.
I could have stayed with R11 but I got tempted by new sampler and combinator, browser fixes and what more may come. HiRes is also handy with option to zoom in without blurry dizziness. And my hopes that R12 will be more solid for each update.

crimsonwarlock

24 Dec 2021

Yonatan wrote:
24 Dec 2021
And my hopes that R12 will be more solid for each update.
The last update completely broke R12 for me, it crashes on initial load. Had to revert to the previous version, which also didn't go smoothly. The bug is acknowledged, but I don't think it will be fixed this year out.

I'm starting to fear that their development process is completely borked. Any serious test-suite should have caught this bug.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

plaamook

24 Dec 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Dec 2021
Yonatan wrote:
24 Dec 2021
And my hopes that R12 will be more solid for each update.
The last update completely broke R12 for me, it crashes on initial load. Had to revert to the previous version, which also didn't go smoothly. The bug is acknowledged, but I don't think it will be fixed this year out.

I'm starting to fear that their development process is completely borked. Any serious test-suite should have caught this bug.
What is your set up?
I had that as well but it was due to a missing OS Mojave update, which sorted it out.
They've had loads of probs with Mojave and in the end I just updated to Catalina.
Don't know if that helps you at all.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

crimsonwarlock

24 Dec 2021

plaamook wrote:
24 Dec 2021
What is your set up?
I had that as well but it was due to a missing OS Mojave update, which sorted it out.
They've had loads of probs with Mojave and in the end I just updated to Catalina.
Don't know if that helps you at all.
I'm on Windows, and it is a windows-related problem.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... nal-drives
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ArcoZ

24 Dec 2021

Hey guys. It's just a trap!
They will make superdeals throghout 2 years period. And then when everybody is addicted to it they will cut the sales.
Standard drug dealer strategy.
Then if you want to change the DAW you gonna lose all your old R+ projects.
It's just as simple as that.
Last edited by ArcoZ on 26 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

scotward57

24 Dec 2021

To be honest, I'm surprised on how long the grudge people have held against Reason Studios for going to a subscription format. Perhaps Reason Studios should do some more explaining about why this was necessary to begin with. Was it because of taking the company public and exposing it to greedy investors? Was it because of executives cashing in and buying boats and vacation homes?

Sounds like every other company out there. But it would be cool to see the new Reason CEO be REALLY transparent and post a blog a blog saying "Yeah that's right! I want a bigger house, so you fuckers are going to start sending us money more often and like it!"

Last Alternative

26 Dec 2021

Hmm… I’m not interested in subscribing. I like to own my version and upgrade if I choose instead of losing everything if I can’t afford the payment. But this season there was no sale for R12….. like WTF. Even if there was it’s unbelievable they released it with so many bugs and after the years long video delay bug with Apple they let slide so long, plus being so money hungry they wanna charge $100+ for every device they make now, barely have much to offer with each upgrade now, plus horrible customer service/support, plus breaking their own promises, I have completely lost trust in this company. I’m staying on 11 until they get their heads out of their ass, make some real improvements, catch up to current technology, and appreciate us again like “the old days”.

It really feels like RS is trying to abandon us “perpetuals” with a divide and conquer agenda until we all sub. Their approach will lose me as a customer if it continues. But it’s not like they care. Lol that’s pretty obvious now.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 26 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

26 Dec 2021

they're handling the subscription pricing in an insanely dumb way, IMO. like, some people subscribed for $20 a month. then two days later, people can subscribe for three months for $3. then a month after that, it goes on sale for $10 a month... like, make up your goddamn minds, RS. I'd be pretty pissed off as a subscriber at $20 a month only to find out I could get it for cheaper than that a few days later. I'm assuming since it's cancel when you want, you can cancel and restart at a lower price, but making your subscribers have to do that is idiotic.

as for the subscription service itself--I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as they keep the option to purchase, but the way they rolled it out was a disaster--that's what I think most people were upset with.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

WOO

26 Dec 2021

I'm on month five of my subscription. The first 3 months for free the next 3 months for 1 dollar a month and when that's over I cancel. I still haven't downloaded 12 because of all the problems since the launch! I'm using the subscription to download as many packs as I can use with 11 and as an extended trial period for friktion, algorithm and the couple of players I don't own. Regarding the sound packs. I've used a few of them as starting points for songs but for the most part their just taking up space on my hard drive. Mostly I'm saving them so I can see how these creative sound designers use reason and all its devices to create sounds! I plan on purchasing algorithm and pattern mutator for sure. Still on the fence about friktion and bassline. Having fun with both though. I'm waiting for 13 to upgrade (If 13 is released as an upgrade that is). Thanks Reason Studios for the deal! And wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2022.

kitekrazy

27 Dec 2021

They could do what Tracktion does and make their DAW free and spend more time selling add ons.

Aosta

27 Dec 2021

Oh god, just received another spam mail using new year as a focus point. The amount of R+ 50% offers I've had over the last few months and the current poll going on just makes it obvious that the R+ subscription cruise is stuck in port somewhat.
No one wants a ticket unlike the Titanic but I think both are heading in the same direction.

EDIT: And I don't mean a box office sensation :lol:
Tend the flame

Billy+

27 Dec 2021

Them + deals are good value for the complete newbies who don't own a thing but what I want to know is when are us long standing customers who own a large collection of devices going to start seeing a good deal?

Would be nice to see some %50 off sales on RS devices and R12 upgrade in the shop.

DaveyG

27 Dec 2021

Aosta wrote:
27 Dec 2021
Oh god, just received another spam mail using new year as a focus point. The amount of R+ 50% offers I've had over the last few months and the current poll going on just makes it obvious that the R+ subscription cruise is stuck in port somewhat.
Sadly I think they have decided to go for the Waves school of pricing, where the "standard" price is set artificially high with the intention of having almost constant half price sales on it, with the occasional "three months for three dollars" gateway drug adding a bit of sugar. The downside of this philosophy is that you leave those who pay full price looking and feeling quite a lot like suckers. :(

• Information