Drum Sequencer Needs 'Variations' like the Polystep Sequencer

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
mbfrancis

23 Dec 2021

Exactly what the title says.

It's ridiculous that in 2021 we need automation to create a 2-bar or 4-bar pattern in the drum sequencer, we had this with Redrum. The Variations and Auto-Switch option in Polystep are perfect for drum patterns, why don't they put them in the Drum Sequencer. And no, making some parts .25x tempo doesn't make it a 4 bar pattern.

Basically I still use Redrum for my pattern work, which is ridiculous.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

huggermugger

23 Dec 2021

There is the option of either Propulsion or Kompulsion, both of which have 32-steps.

Personally I enjoy the limitation of 16 steps in DS. Combined with the speed, direction, and probability functions, I can satisfactorily achieve very long patterns. And for me, the process as well as the result are more interesting than Redrum, which I find boring.

RandomNoise

23 Dec 2021

If you don't need variations on ALL your drum parts, one workaround I've been playing around with lately is to couple DS with mDSQ from Lectric Panda. You can go up to 128 steps with full velocity control, slides and repeats per step. Only thing that is missing and I really wish could be added in the future is having probability.
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 07.56.05.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 07.56.05.png (206.35 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Billy+

23 Dec 2021

mbfrancis wrote:
23 Dec 2021

It's ridiculous that in 2021 we need automation to create a 2-bar or 4-bar pattern in the drum sequencer, we had this with Redrum. The Variations and Auto-Switch option in Polystep are perfect for drum patterns, why don't they put them in the Drum Sequencer. And no, making some parts .25x tempo doesn't make it a 4 bar pattern.

You can always use polystep for your drum loops if you like the workflow ;)

challism

23 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Dec 2021
mbfrancis wrote:
23 Dec 2021

Exactly what I was thinking.

And maybe have a good look at mDSQ player from Lectric Panda... it's great!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

24 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
23 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Dec 2021

lol maybe I should do a tutorial post about using polystep as a drum player ;)

m.arthur

24 Dec 2021

mbfrancis wrote:
23 Dec 2021

+1 to all of your points. Reason's Drum Sequencer is a pathetically crippled device, always has been. I wish they'd stop putting all their energy into new "here, let me write your music for you (randomly)" players and instead make the existing players better. It's insane that Drum Sequencer requires automation to play more than four fkkking beats total. But I'm just repeating you. How they have not addressed this is beyond me, oh right, they are too busy coding players to write your music for you :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

demt

24 Dec 2021

Why don't you get a nektar aura and get into finger drumming it gives me a great hands on experience hence grooves I wouldn't of thought of when clicking on Kong.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

mbfrancis

30 Dec 2021

So I got the mDSQ on sale (I'd already trialed it) and .... it's not a solution. It's too fiddly, and a pain to switch sounds. I'd rather just use REDRUM as a trigger device for 2 and 4 bar patterns. So I end up using a mix or Redrum, Beat Map, and Drum Sequencer...oh and MIDI in the sequencer lol. Good times.

I *do* like the idea of probability and variations -- bit I never use them in my finished work....I want to know what's going to hit when/where.

Hope all are well!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Bes
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2021

i made a combinator for automating patterns. all the RE's inside should be free i hope

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7524487&p=591182#p591182
- Certified Reason expert

Barriott

27 Jan 2022

This needs a 'Plays every A:B"

It's got soooo much potential.

Just needs some extra conditions

Heigen5

28 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
23 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Dec 2021

Same thought here too. By the way, if you put the rate to a 1/32 - you can have 32 steps and double the denser of the notes per a measure. :twisted:

FizbanLaPolio

06 Feb 2022

I have fun sometimes with the probability triggers from Ochen K.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... m-trigger/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... v-trigger/

Combined with other tools/players, you may achieve what you want

• Information